Teak platform and FAE refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teak platform and FAE refurb

This is actually the third time I have stripped this platform down. This time it was more of a rebuild though. I had some cracking and some gaps I wanted to address. With all the work I put into the trunk last winter, the platform got kinda neglected. It looked 13 years old.

This rebuild included all new screws, trimming of the corners, re-finishing the brackets and new FAE hardware. First thing to do was rebuild it. I started at the transom side of the platform and pulled the top board off. All the screws were really deep and a couple had poked out the top side. I decided to replace all the #8 1 1/2" screws with #10 1 1/4". The original screw holes had swelled around the old screw heads. This meant pulling them out would require enlarging the holes. I ran a 3/8 bit in reverse in all of the holes and then carefully pulled the old screws out. I then reset the board with my new screws. I the pulled the next two top boards off. With both those boards off, I was able to clamp the second board as tight as possible to the first and then ran the new screws into it. I repeated this for every board. It ended up shrinking the overall depth of the platform by nearly half an inch and closed (mostly) all the gaps.
    Attached Files
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Next up was trimming. I freehanded a shape on the bottom which left me just a little (about 3/4") from the bracket to the edge of the platform. This left me plenty of meat in case I screwed something up. I cut it with my trusty skill saw and then sanded it down until I was happy with the shape. I then made a template and transferred that shape to the the side and cut it. I also trimmed the excess length off the bottom trim piece and the sanded the new shape until I was happy. That tends to take a while. I also took a few minutes to make a poor man's plug for a couple of blown out holes. Once they get wet, the plug pieces should swell and completely fill the hole. It will require some touch up but, no big deal. From there it was on to sanding the rest down and applying the edge details and finish.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NICKYPOO; 03-04-2013, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Looks good. Takes time to work on teak but well worth it in the end.

Comment

With the platform redone, it time to move on to the FAE. When I first installed my FAE, it came with all thread to connect the FAE to the quick release platform mounts. Since my platform is so close to my FAE, I only needed 2 1/2". I decided to use some bolts instead of the all thread. Well many moons later, the bolts had seized themselves into the quick release "heads". One side pulled out fairly easy but, the other turned into a nightmare. It snapped off about a 1/2" from the head and would not budge. I soaked it with PB Blaster for a full day and nothing. Would not budge. So I cut it off and broke out my best screw extractor. Another day of soaking and working and still no results. I ran that extractor clean through the offending material and it still remained. Only one thing left to do before ordering a new set of heads from Larry Mann, drill and tap. What a B. That's now done and I can move forward with mounting everything back up so that I can cut some sleeves for the new bolts. Should look nice when its done.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NICKYPOO; 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Just a few pics to bring this thread up to date.
          IMAG2120.jpgIMAG2122.jpgIMAG2178.jpgIMAG2180.jpg

Comment

Looks great Nickpoo. After we chatted, I decided to take down the roughness just a tad after the 4th coat as we discussed (in threads recently wiped out) with 300 grit sand paper. It was just enough to take the tackiness off the oil off before applying another quote. Im thinking one more good coat before I flip it over and start on the bottom. I hope to have the deck back on and FAE installed within the next couple of weeks. Pics to follow. BTW, would it be appropriate to start another thread, or just post the pics in this thread? I dont want to step on toes/hijack threads!

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
              Looks great Nickpoo. After we chatted, I decided to take down the roughness just a tad after the 4th coat as we discussed (in threads recently wiped out) with 300 grit sand paper. It was just enough to take the tackiness off the oil off before applying another quote. Im thinking one more good coat before I flip it over and start on the bottom. I hope to have the deck back on and FAE installed within the next couple of weeks. Pics to follow. BTW, would it be appropriate to start another thread, or just post the pics in this thread? I dont want to step on toes/hijack threads!
              I suppose it would be appropriate to start another one. However, I think its just a plain old good idea to post up your pics here. Let's keep 'm all together. It would make it easier for anybody searching for teak threads to just have one big one. Post away dude.

Comment

Looks good, nice work.

Comment

IMG_0970.jpg Here is an image of 1/2 old and 1/2 sanded, then all sanded.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Still learning how to post the pics in here, so please forgive my screw ups along the way. 2013-03-10 16.21.39.jpg2013-03-31 13.42.24.jpg2013-03-31 13.49.58.jpg

Comment

And here are a few more with the brand new FAE installed. Nickypoo, I finally took your advice - tested it out today on the lake - and LOVE IT! 2013-03-29 17.30.28.jpg2013-04-20 07.34.00.jpg2013-04-20 07.34.17.jpg2013-04-20 07.34.33.jpg

Comment

Looks fabulous and only used a little Corona on the finish.

Comment

Looks bitchin D. Nice work. Glad to see you finally got that FAE. Congrats and welcome to not sucking exhaust fumes ever again.

Comment

those look great!!! i have to do mine as soon as i finish my ballast install......

Comment

Working...
                            X