Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we not have a tow vehicle section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutless sponge with no bed.
    Yeah, not many SUVs with a bed, those are called pickups

Same gutless engine and rear end could have come in a 96 3/4 pickup.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Funny chp you mention.
      I was out talking to my neighbor today. His 00 yukon is 3/4 ton with 6litre. 81k on the clock. Said he will never sell. Tows his center console with it. He also has 18 ram 2500cummins and likes the yuk better.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Yah I think the lack of a 3/4 ton suv on the market is a bummer. A reinforced expedition or Tahoe with a power stroke or Duramax (or hell even a big v8) has a market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of Duraburb builds out there. I’ve never understood why gm never put one out. If you want one, you gotta build it. My buddy had a built Excursion for a short time. It would roast the 33”s with ease. Hugely powerful set up. It started breaking down constantly and he just dumped it and took the loss. Bought a ‘19 1500 Sierra and loves it.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            Same gutless engine and rear end could have come in a 96 3/4 pickup.
            Ya, there was plenty of them. They were dogs too. You can always build them up but, from the factory they mostly sucked.

One thing about those ‘Burbs though, they kicked all kinds of *** in the snow. The night before I wrecked mine (got wrecked), I rallied that thing up to

Comment

There's a company called predator inc that does Duramax conversions on Suburbans and hummer H1s and they look pretty crazy. HD suspension, chassis and transmission.
              One of my local dealers up here in Kelowna brings in a bunch of predators hummers and I was checking them out while they were working on my truck and they're pretty darn sick. Maybe one day..

https://predatorinc.com/predator-duramax-suburban/

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post

One thing about those ‘Burbs though, they kicked all kinds of *** in the snow. The night before I wrecked mine (got wrecked), I rallied that thing up to
                Anyways, rallied up to a Halloween party in Tahoe a massive snow storm. A good 18” on the streets by the time we got to his neighborhood. Then had to head up another 1000’ to his place. That thing smashed up there. I was super impressed. It was the happiest I’d ever been with that thing. Needless to say, we were the only ones to show up.

Comment

Of course there are a couple of SUVs that can handle larger loads. The main problem with the SUV is payload capacity. The whole reason I'd even want to use my wifes Armada to pull the boat is so we could put 8 people in it. Put 8 people in it and payload is maxed out. Most of you know I towed heavy and overweight on paper with my old ecodiesel, but it was safe. I towed the RZX3 with the Armada from a repair shop to my house. Just me in the Armada. It was almost scary. Had PLENTY of power to move the load. Could not handle or stop the load though. So we've had to take two cars to the lake with the kids bring friends.

Mostly I was referring to the Grand Cherokee guy who thinks because he has a Hemi he can tow a 10k pound boat at 75-80mph on I-15. Of course the boat salesman will never say a word as he hooks up for the first time after the sale.

Comment

If you like Fords, take your Super Duty to Tim and he will make you a Excursion out of it.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/9675.html

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                      There's a company called predator inc that does Duramax conversions on Suburbans and hummer H1s and they look pretty crazy. HD suspension, chassis and transmission.
                      One of my local dealers up here in Kelowna brings in a bunch of predators hummers and I was checking them out while they were working on my truck and they're pretty darn sick. Maybe one day..

https://predatorinc.com/predator-duramax-suburban/
                      That’s the only way I’d own a Suburban again.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                        Of course there are a couple of SUVs that can handle larger loads. The main problem with the SUV is payload capacity. The whole reason I'd even want to use my wifes Armada to pull the boat is so we could put 8 people in it. Put 8 people in it and payload is maxed out. Most of you know I towed heavy and overweight on paper with my old ecodiesel, but it was safe. I towed the RZX3 with the Armada from a repair shop to my house. Just me in the Armada. It was almost scary. Had PLENTY of power to move the load. Could not handle or stop the load though. So we've had to take two cars to the lake with the kids bring friends.

Mostly I was referring to the Grand Cherokee guy who thinks because he has a Hemi he can tow a 10k pound boat at 75-80mph on I-15. Of course the boat salesman will never say a word as he hooks up for the first time after the sale.
                        I can’t believe how many times I have this conversation. Guys with tundras, “my truck will drag it”, it sure will, but it won’t stop it or steer it worth a damn. Your running gear will be thrashed quick.

My old half ton towed fine. It went through 3 sets of brakes, and a trans by 60k when I traded it in. I have a 3/4 ton now, that I’ve put 230k on, towed in the Sierras on a bunch of those miles, and the brakes and trans both made it to over 200k. And the trans didn’t fail, just started acting like it had worked too much, so I swapped it.

The difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton is absolutely night and day. Anyone that thinks different hasn’t done enough towing with a half ton, in the mountains. Flat landers are a different story, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

People do not realize how heavy these boats really are. Just the other day there were a few guys on facebook saying that a 23zx weighs no more than 7000lbs fully loaded and that any SUV is more than capable. You add everything you are going to take to the lake, full tank of fuel and you're easily over 8k. Even if you have a tahoe that can tow 9k being that close to the limit is too close and your payload will be way over. Also need to remember most non HD trucks cannot legally tow more than 5k without a WDH.

Comment

I think a lot of people make assumptions without knowing everyone’s specific situation. We have a 1/2 ton and tow a 2020 23ZX without a WDH (by the way, Boatmate recommends against WDH with their trailers on their website). However, we tow 3.5 miles to our ramp, 1.5 to where it’s serviced, and 25 miles once a year for the reunion. I am not buying a 3/4 ton for what we do. I’ll deal with the lectures from internet warriors before making that leap.

Comment

It’s definitely situational, and ultimately it’s everyone’s truck and boat that they can do whatever they want with. I’m sure my thinking has to do with we have lake days where we tow 250 miles, with like 25,000 feet of elevation change, in one day. It sucks having a gas 3/4 ton, on a bunch of that. Also isn’t worth $70k for me to upgrade my truck for it, so I get people wanting to get it done with what they have. And 1/2 tons are nicer to drive around, without a trailer, for sure. I definitely get both sides, and have done it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Very good point with everyone's situation is a bit different. In the summer I tow less than 2km in residential to the launch so can get away with pretty much anything. My buddies ri237 pretty much just lives attached to a 2002 chev 1500 but only because we never go over 40km/h and like 2km to the level launch every day. It's the trips over the mountain passes where I want the bigger truck and have access to one so its no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X