08 Z1 - Ballast Install - DieselPWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

08 Z1 - Ballast Install - DieselPWR

I just got my shipment from Andrew to install my ballast system. Thanks Andrew! Great prices and lots of help. Looking to install it this weekend and going to pick up the parts tonight. I've been briefing myself on Nharp's, Coach's, and G-Moneys install threads. Any other good ones? In Eks thread, none of the pics are showing.

I have an 08 Z1. Going with nautique wedges in the rear lockers and an integrated bow sac. I know it won't fill all the way, but I'd be happy with 300#+. 3 Ballast puppies. Then two fat bricks and a manual tsunami pump for the bow as well.

I haven't looked yet but I'm hoping to fit two of the pumps behind the access panel in the rear locker

* Any recommendations on tubing, willing to pay more if its worth it. I like the tubing in Coach's install, the flex PVC and multiflex tubing. Looks like it worked out well for him. Anyone know if he had to put any 90s in when running the flex PVC?

Anyone know if this is sold locally like at a Home Depot?

* Front Bow Sac: Is it necessary to fill from both ends on the bow sac?

* Scoop grate assembly for the manifold, is this purchased locally and is it the best way to go for this component?

* I keep reading about all the check valves not sure which way to go. Seems like Coach's install was the simple and just had the one on the vent to keep air out. But I don't know what problems he may have had with draining. If adding all the check valves just keeps you from having to top off every once in a while, then I wouldn't think its worth adding more seals to the system. Anyone know how much water is actually lost or if they self fill while driving?

* Is it best to drain/fill from the bottom or top of the sac? I would lean towards the bottom but have read some say top to help with the self draining.

* Any other suggestions would be greaty appreciated

Thanks!

The flex PVC is a PITA to work with but is high quality. The multiflex is the chit you will have to use a heat gun to get in on some of the fittings, but it will go on and coach did not use any 90 for the flex PVC. I would recommend using the them before you get to the pumps, it was a tight turn for him but it's up to you. It is sold at home depot but get it online for cheaper.

Yes on the bow sack but it's not for filling reasons, you need it on both ends for draining. Trust me!

PVC pipe sold anywhere

If you fill from the top of the bag like coach and I do now you only need check valves on the vent. If you fill from the bottom the back pressure on the bigger sacks will cause back flow and it will take longer to fill. You will still fill from the bottom on the bow sack there is no way around it but the back flow is minimal.

Good luck and have fun!!!!
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

You had to go and do the install THIS weekend? I was hoping that I might be able to help you (if you needed any help) since I plan on ordering my stuff in April but I am putting the transmission back in my Corvette this weekend. Oh well, take LOTS of pictures and good luck!

Comment

Anything you would recommend besides the flex PVC? When you say you recommend using them before you get to the pumps, do you mean running a peice of the multiflex right before you turn to get to the pump?

Thanks for the advice on the bow, and on the fill locations for the bags, that helps a lot.

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
        The flex PVC is a PITA to work with but is high quality. The multiflex is the chit you will have to use a heat gun to get in on some of the fittings, but it will go on and coach did not use any 90 for the flex PVC. I would recommend using the them before you get to the pumps, it was a tight turn for him but it's up to you. It is sold at home depot but get it online for cheaper.

Yes on the bow sack but it's not for filling reasons, you need it on both ends for draining. Trust me!

PVC pipe sold anywhere

If you fill from the top of the bag like coach and I do now you only need check valves on the vent. If you fill from the bottom the back pressure on the bigger sacks will cause back flow and it will take longer to fill. You will still fill from the bottom on the bow sack there is no way around it but the back flow is minimal.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Comment

My buddy is helping me out this weekend, but I am sure we will not get done, so I might take you up on that, thanks! He is an electrical engineer so he'll be a huge help on the wiring, as I am electircally challenged, to put it nicely. I should have paid attention in circuits class. Good luck putting the tranny back in.

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
          You had to go and do the install THIS weekend? I was hoping that I might be able to help you (if you needed any help) since I plan on ordering my stuff in April but I am putting the transmission back in my Corvette this weekend. Oh well, take LOTS of pictures and good luck!

Comment

What are you getting for your RZ2?

I bought the green loogey by the way. Just from riding your yellow loogey.

Originally posted by DieselPWR View Post
            Anything you would recommend besides the flex PVC? When you say you recommend using them before you get to the pumps, do you mean running a peice of the multiflex right before you turn to get to the pump?

Thanks for the advice on the bow, and on the fill locations for the bags, that helps a lot.

Comment

If you are running the hose in the engine compartment like coach did I would stick with the flex PVC just because it more durable and will handle the heat better.

As for the 90's at the pump you can use either hose PVC or Mulitflex, by putting the 90's in there is will take pressure off that connection from the hose to the pump.
              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

What are you getting for your RZ2?

I bought the green loogey by the way. Just from riding your yellow loogey.
                I was planning on the bow sac and 3 ballast puppies. I might change out the v-drive sacs that I am currently running and go with an enzo sac on one side - we'll see.

Nice purchase on the Green Loogey! I think you will like it!

Hit me up if you don't get it finished!

Comment

Timmy - I might be interested in your v-drive sack if you upgrade

Diesel - I have been thinking about building in a couple of v-drive sacks. How much is everything running you, not including the sacks?

Comment

[QUOTE]
                    I just got my shipment from Andrew to install my ballast system. Thanks Andrew! Great prices and lots of help. Looking to install it this weekend and going to pick up the parts tonight. I've been briefing myself on Nharp's, Coach's, and G-Moneys install threads. Any other good ones? In Eks thread, none of the pics are showing.
                    Any ballast thread is worth a peek, regardless of boat or pump type used. Everyone has their own way of solving a particular hurdle.

I have an 08 Z1. Going with nautique wedges in the rear lockers and an integrated bow sac. I know it won't fill all the way, but I'd be happy with 300#+. 3 Ballast puppies. Then two fat bricks and a manual tsunami pump for the bow as well.
                    I haven't looked yet but I'm hoping to fit two of the pumps behind the access panel in the rear locker
                    * Any recommendations on tubing, willing to pay more if its worth it. I like the tubing in Coach's install, the flex PVC and multiflex tubing. Looks like it worked out well for him. Anyone know if he had to put any 90s in when running the flex PVC?

Anyone know if this is sold locally like at a Home Depot?
                    I'm not warm and fuzzy about the Flex PVC because PVC is sized by the OD and the ID is a result of construction, not design. I got a sample and found it hard to clamp down on hose/plumbing type fittings sized for the ID of hose/tubing. Felt it was a potential leak. The challenge with using the reversible pumps is that they draw a vacuum when draining. Because of this, you need a reinforced hose that will resist collapsing. The Flex-PVC is actually perfect for this, but I feel the wire-reinforced multi-flex will give the same resistance, but with better turn radius and easier clamping. Just my opinion.

Regardless of what is uses, I recommend smearing a little 5200 on the fitting before slipping on the hose for added protection on anything at or below the water line.

* Front Bow Sac: Is it necessary to fill from both ends on the bow sac?
                    With aerators, its easy to fill from a top fitting in either leg, vent from the center top fitting, and drain from the bottom fittings in both legs. Not sure of the best way when using one pump to fill and drain, but water will be left in the other leg.

* Scoop grate assembly for the manifold, is this purchased locally and is it the best way to go for this component?
                    Any online marine store, but sit down first, price of bronze about double from when I started my install till I finished. I would pay now at wholesale, what I paid retail a year ago

* I keep reading about all the check valves not sure which way to go. Seems like Coach's install was the simple and just had the one on the vent to keep air out. But I don't know what problems he may have had with draining. If adding all the check valves just keeps you from having to top off every once in a while, then I wouldn't think its worth adding more seals to the system. Anyone know how much water is actually lost or if they self fill while driving?
                    You should only need 1 c/v per sac in the vent line as these impeller pumps are supposed to prevent back flow, but I thing G and EKS noticed a little. I would look at maybe trying a single c/v in the main trunk line to the manifold, just a thought.

* Is it best to drain/fill from the bottom or top of the sac? I would lean towards the bottom but have read some say top to help with the self draining.
                    With the impeller type pumps, you almost have to drain from the bottom, so you will be filler there also as you are only using one pump. I've seen a couple hybrid systems using impellers to fill and aerators to drain. I have also read some filling from the top, but seams like it may leave water but may not.

* Any other suggestions would be greaty appreciated

Thanks!
                    Post pics
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                      I was planning on the bow sac and 3 ballast puppies. I might change out the v-drive sacs that I am currently running and go with an enzo sac on one side - we'll see.

Nice purchase on the Green Loogey! I think you will like it!

Hit me up if you don't get it finished!
                      I've got a 1K custom made just for the 22Ve/RZ2's, cheaper then the Enzo. PM if you want details.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Waterski-Rebel View Post
                        Timmy - I might be interested in your v-drive sack if you upgrade

Diesel - I have been thinking about building in a couple of v-drive sacks. How much is everything running you, not including the sacks?
                        3 Ballast pumps ~$600
                        All the odds and ends: quick connects, ball valve, through hulls, fittings, hoses, wire, pvc, check valves, etc., etc., is coming out to around $450. Adds up quick.

I got all the main stuff through Andrew, and he had better pricing then anywhere else on the internet.

Comment

Thanks chpthril! I will take pics.

Can you use the wire reinforced mutli flex tubing before and after the pump? Wasn't there a good reason Coach didn't use it before the pump?

G-Money, where can you buy this online? I went to Ace hardware and Home depot and could not find it.

Comment

Thanks chpthril! I will take pics.

Can you use the wire reinforced mutli flex tubing before and after the pump? Wasn't there a good reason Coach didn't use it before the pump?

G-Money, where can you buy this online? I went to Ace hardware and Home depot and could not find it.
                            I dont see a reason why not, I've a few ballast setups with reversible on WW using it.

To be honest, the greatest chance for suction is in the section between the sac and pump during draining, but all the ballast installs posted here lately have the FlexPVC between the manifold and pump. Not much chance of a vacuum when drawing water from the lake unlike pulling from a sac that has the vent closed off by a c/v when in drain mode. No offence, but they are backwards IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                              I dont see a reason why not, I've a few ballast setups with reversible on WW using it.

To be honest, the greatest chance for suction is in the section between the sac and pump during draining, but all the ballast installs posted here lately have the FlexPVC between the manifold and pump. Not much chance of a vacuum when drawing water from the lake unlike pulling from a sac that has the vent closed off by a c/v when in drain mode. No offence, but they are backwards IMO.
                              Ya that is counter intuitive isn't it.

Comment

Working...
                              X