Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple questions, With a simple answer (i hope)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that everything is under the waterline doesn't solve the trapped air problem. Try this: Hold a piece of hose in an upside down U shape and then push both ends down into some water. It will trap air in the hose, and it won't come out even if you push the whole hose under the water line. True even if the two ends of the hose aren't level, i.e. one end goes in first... you'll trap air. But if you prevent any u-turns in the hose, so that the incoming water can push air out the top, you'll be fine. Your plumbing works the same way, and the pump is part of the plumbing (you can trap air within the pump body unless its outlet is the highest point).

Comment

Is there room to turn the seacock handle closed?

Comment

Also looks like there isn't enuf room to pull the cartridge's out if something gets plugged in there.

Comment

Not sure on your boat but for my 09 my transducer is on that side of the boat and would be directly inline with your thru hulls. That's why I put my thru hulls closer to the center and elbowed out. Also, you are under your back bench so you don't have the height restriction of the floor so you don't have to worry as much about staying as low as possible. Mine are angled back as the floor panel that covers the gas tank just touches the closest pump. In your case I would have just done two holes or follow a similar set up as mine with the hole being over but then use your T. Thru hull, 90, BV, T , 2x90, 2x pumps
          Attached Files

Comment

Just a thought, for my own wonderings as well as maybe a quick fix... If this is the only way he has room for his setup to work, what about screwing an air bleeder valve into the top of the T? Each time you launch the boat and open the ball valve, just hit the bleeder real quick to let the air out.. Would that work?

Comment

With it being under the seat it would be a pain to do this all of the time. You just have to pull the fill hose off a bag and put it to your mouth and suck with the pump on to draw the water/air. Once in a while I have to do this too with the OEM set up.

Comment

No bleeders and no sucking, we are going to make this a functional plumbed in system thats controlled from the captains chair.

I to believe that the orientation of the pumps is going to be problematic. However, There will no issue with a single T supplying 2 pumps.

The aft pump needs to be threaded directly into the T, eliminating the 90. Should be plenty of room looking at the pick. You will want to have the pump outlet oriented up. Turn the barbed outlet fitting toward the transom

The forward pump looks like it could also be threaded directly into the T. Another option would be to swap the 90 for a 45 and angle the pump toward the keel/front of the v-drive. Again, the want the pumps outlet up. You would also want the 45, if used, oriented so its angled slightly up as it leaves the T. This keeps a gentle up hill travel for the water.

Just for an FYI, the level of the floor is pretty much the water line. So you dont want the pumps above the floor level, even though there is clearance under the seat box.

I gather the check valves are in the fill line somewhere between pump and where the hose pops out of the back wall? Once the sacs start to fill, you need to wacth the sac pushing against that hose and make sure it doesnt pull on the hose and fitting. I also think this hose is going to suspend the sac in the air, so be careful with placing items in the locker. Too much weight and the sac fitting can rip out of the sac.

With the slim profile thru-hull shroom, i dont expect it to interfere with the tri-ducer.

Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

If you are working with Mike. You are set. ZERO priming issues with how he had me setup my pumps.
                  Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Sorry been swamped at work, I'll try to answer everything. Yes I did have to mount in front of my transducer about 3 feet in front of it, but as Mike said shouldn't make a difference with the slim profile. That being said plan on upgrading to GPS speed this summer. Yes I did install the check valves on the fill lines approximately 18" behind the pumps hidden nicely under one of the motor mounts. Yes the seacock valve does fully close, but it is a tight fit. The fill hose can move in and out about 20" and can go all the way to the floor in the locker. I did cross vent each hose with the check valves as close to the exits as possible. I have not finished the drain plumbing, weather was really crappy today so didn't get anything done and my second Enzo has not arrived yet.

I will remove the 90 closest to the transom and screw the pump directly into the "T". Does that mean I can keep the 90 down on the forward pump? Or will I have to 45 off that and install the pump to that? So if I am understanding this all correctly the pumps must stay below the floor/waterline and must be mounted horizontally with the outlets facing upward?

I will apologize now and thank you all for your help, I am not versed in fluid dynamics. Here is why I did what I did...I thought that water being water it would travel path of least resistance meaning there is water pressure from hull displacement forcing water up the thru hull and that water pressure would be greater than the air pressure in the fittings and pumps and would prime. I was clearly wrong.

Truly thankful for all the help, I would have been super ultra pissed to get this on the water and couldn't fill my bags
                    Last edited by Thegerman618; 03-22-2016, 03:42 AM.
                    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
                      Does that mean I can keep the 90 down on the forward pump? Or will I have to 45 off that and install the pump to that? So if I am understanding this all correctly the pumps must stay below the floor/waterline and must be mounted horizontally with the outlets facing upward?
                      No, the forward pump must also be "above". Think like an air bubble... if there's anywhere from the thruhull to the pump outlet that drops in height, it's a prescription for trouble. You should be going uphill the whole way from the thruhull to the pump outlet. Thus, if you were a bubble, you would naturally "flow" up from the thruhull, through your plumbing, through the pump body, and out the pump outlet no matter if the pump is turned on or not. Bubbles only float up, not down, so an air pocket would get trapped in any high spots.

Comment

As long as the pumps outlet is not above the level of the floor, then it will be below the waterline. We need the pump to at least be level, or horizontal with the T or other fittings, with the outlet up. If there is a possibility that the pump can have a slight upward angle off the T, this is even better. You could do this with the 90, but i dont think theres room for the pump to rotate 50* counter clockwise and fit between the v-drive. Thats where i think a 45 is needed.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Understood, thank you guys. Weather is still ugly today so probably won't get out there till at least this weekend (hopefully). I will adjust the pumps accordingly to your recommendations. Ill post pictures once I am done. Thanks again guys
                          My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Don't forget the wake pics once you hit the water

I have two pumps into the T, see pic below. Due to the angle from the V in the bilge the right pump is slightly below the left. Not sure if the air bubbles just travel up to the higher pump and out or if its the rocking of the boat at launch but I have never had an air lock issue. If you look at my manifold it has a slightly downward path as it crosses the bilge but its tilted slightly towards the bow so, I think when I launch and the bow is high, the air must purge out manifold.

Either way, I was worried I might have some air lock issues with my setup and Chp assured me it would be fine and I have had zero priming issues. Also my perfect pass has no issues with the shroom on that side.

You are going to love having a plumbed system. Plus I always enjoy starting to fill my ballast when taking out people that have never been on a surf boat and then pretending like we are sinking when my surf side gets low.

20140729_224926.jpg
                            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                              Plus I always enjoy starting to fill my ballast when taking out people that have never been on a surf boat and then pretending like we are sinking when my surf side gets low.
                              That's AWESOME! LOL!!! Sorry I hadnt thought of that myself!

Comment

That reminds me of a story. A friend brought his new girlfriend (now wife) out on our previous boat one day. For some reason she was very afraid of being out on open water, but apparently liked him enough to overcome that fear for the day. She sat smack in the middle of the boat, as far from the surrounding open water as possible. She put on a brave face but it was clear she was uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, I have a dark streak in my personality that finds it very hard to resist a setup like that.

So, while we were out in the middle of the lake, I pointed out the floor drain and mentioned how it very conveniently allowed any incoming water to drain back out of the boat. I waited a moment to let that sink in, and then said "Of course, if a hole in the bottom of the boat can let water OUT...."

"WE NEED TO GET BACK TO SHORE. NOW. HURRY."

It took me a little while to convince her that since the hole hadn't let the boat sink so far, it probably wasn't going to right that minute either.

I know, I'm a bad person.

Comment

Working...
                                X