Surf vs Skim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf vs Skim

I would really appreciate your opinions folks. Without looking it up, how many folks know the difference between a skimstyle wakesurf board and a surfstyle skim board? Is surf vs skim pretty common nomenclature or not?

Thanks
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

The surfstyle is thicker....... right????
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

I would say that I know the difference, surf style is more like a traditional surfboard, skim are similar to the traditional skim boards seen at the beach, right?

PS why aren't you busy preparing tax returns?

Comment

Yep that is normally one attribute of a surfstyle board. The majority of skimstyle boards are manufacturered from a core of PVC foam commonly called divnycell or d-cell. The typical thicknesses of a skimstyle board is 5/8" or 3/4". The surfstyle boards are more commonly made from EPS or Poly U foam and have thicknesses in the 2"+ range.

G-MONEY, would you say you were very familiar with the term, or just vaguley or someplace in between?

Anyone else?

Comment

Lovin - sssssshhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone Actually we are planning the first contest of the season and there is an ongoing argument over the surf vs skim. I'm trying to get a feel for the general understanding of the terms. The surfstyle folks always hold that it's not fair to have surfboard and skimboards in the same event - from a judging perspective it's soooooo hard to judge the difficultly level of a surface 3 on a surfstyle board compared to say a shuv-it on a skimstyle board...SSSOOOO we are contemplating splitting the two divisions out: surf and skim (that is if all the arguing doesn't give me a coronary first ).

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
            Yep that is normally one attribute of a surfstyle board. The majority of skimstyle boards are manufacturered from a core of PVC foam commonly called divnycell or d-cell. The typical thicknesses of a skimstyle board is 5/8" or 3/4". The surfstyle boards are more commonly made from EPS or Poly U foam and have thicknesses in the 2"+ range.

G-MONEY, would you say you were very familiar with the term, or just vaguley or someplace in between?

Anyone else?

I would say vary familiar only because I have a skimboard.
            Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Surfdad,

Here's my 1 cent,, I was under the impression that a a skim board was easier to do tricks on? A surf style was a little more stable.

My contribution to the poll,
              Mark

Comment

I always thought the skim style was shorter and thinner. This type of board was made for spins, airs, etc.

The surf style board is longer and made for cruising and carving.

That's how I have always portrayed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                  I always thought the skim style was shorter and thinner. This type of board was made for spins, airs, etc.

The surf style board is longer and made for cruising and carving.

That's how I have always portrayed them.
                  Exactly my feelings too.
                  "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Interesting...ok, this picture surf or skim style board?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Surf.......

Comment

I'm playing devils advocate here, so don't take this personally G-Money, I really want to get an understanding of the general perception of boards. If we assume the criteria that Matt and Tequila propose:

"I always thought the skim style was shorter and thinner. This type of board was made for spins, airs, etc. The surf style board is longer and made for cruising and carving."

The board in the picture is 4'5" long, the average skim board (4-skim, Phase 5 Prop, Calibrated's) is 4'6" so this board is shorter and would then meet the one criteria, also...that's some pretty substantial air so I'm thinking it would also meet the criteria for tricks, spins and airs.

You feel it's a surf style though (and again, not busting your chops or Matt's or Tequila's, just trying to get an understanding of perceptions) would you list your reasons for drawing that conclusion, please?

I would also love to hear from Matt and Tequila on this.

Thanks again guys

Comment

Do I get to play? Do I get extra credit if I name the board?

Walker Bullet

I gotta tell you, I think the surf stylers just need to sack up. Run what ya brung. $.02
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I would say that that is a surf style board, because it is a bit thicker than the skim style boards.

I have four boards and I'll list how I perceive them to be below:
                            Butter Board: Surf style
                            Broadcast: Surf Style
                            Liquid Force Skim Skate: Surf Style
                            Yellow Loogey: Skim Style

Did I pass the test?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                              I'm playing devils advocate here, so don't take this personally G-Money, I really want to get an understanding of the general perception of boards. If we assume the criteria that Matt and Tequila propose:

"I always thought the skim style was shorter and thinner. This type of board was made for spins, airs, etc. The surf style board is longer and made for cruising and carving."

The board in the picture is 4'5" long, the average skim board (4-skim, Phase 5 Prop, Calibrated's) is 4'6" so this board is shorter and would then meet the one criteria, also...that's some pretty substantial air so I'm thinking it would also meet the criteria for tricks, spins and airs.

You feel it's a surf style though (and again, not busting your chops or Matt's or Tequila's, just trying to get an understanding of perceptions) would you list your reasons for drawing that conclusion, please?

I would also love to hear from Matt and Tequila on this.

Thanks again guys

The reason I feel it's a surf style is because of the thickness of the board...

I also feel that if you use a short surf style board you should be able to do all the same tricks as a skim style boards....thickness shouldn't stop you from getting air or spinning....IMO it's the length and weight of the board that will not allow you to do these tricks.....

Comment

Working...
                              X