Wake surfing for big guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
    Dakota-I assumed a 13’ Z3 was a Taps 3 boat so my advice is bad? Oops, my bad. I wasn’t discounting any of your or any one else’s advice by suggesting another opinion. If I came off like that it wasn’t my intention. What did I say that was wrong? I didn’t suggest he go out and buy another budget board. He already has the CWB, just trying to save the OP a couple bucks by suggesting to make sure the wave is dialed in (taps at 2 seems awfully low to me) and to get the basics down BEFORE buying a super nice board. It’s nice to have a big, stable, forgiving board for beginners to beat on anyhow. I certainly don’t let everyone that hops in my boat ride my board. Most people that own surf/wake boats own several boards for the reason that there isn’t a one size/style fits all. I ride mostly skim style but am planning on purchasing a nice surf style this summer. Must demo!!
    If any of you guys are gonna make your way to Denver for whatever bring some of your custom boards, I’ll pull ya if I can take em for a spin!!
    The post of yours that generated the question mark (and to which I was referring to errant advice) was a post dismissing the surfboard question and recommending talking to various folks about dialing in a taps3 z3. Which he doesn’t own.

Sorry if I honked you off. Lost in translation. He likely has a 2013 Z3 working pretty good because you fill it, list it, and hit the gas. Maybe consider a suck gate for ease of use and slight wave improvement.

The issue is: He really wants a better board. And—He will benefit greatly from a proper board—as things are pretty dicey at 260#. A sexy 195 pounder like yourself gets a lot more error margin than a big fella. Even station wagon boards aren’t meant to carry 260#—they’re meant to be big and docile for the average male of your size or even smaller. Not the big fella. I have gone through all of this, and I am only 230# (and ugly).

So many big fellas have had the light come on with a real, proper surfboard. Including me. It was a Walker Project Bazooka that illustrated the real difference to me. Behind a slammed 2006 24Ve.

Your advice is great—dial your boat. For sure. But get a good board for the big fella. He needs it badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Come surf with me! I let people learn on a Lakewakes WiFi. Very light fast board. A little delicate, but what’s the worst that happens? A ding I guess. After teaching North of 40 people to surf nobody has wrecked a board yet. Knock on wood.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
        The post of yours that generated the question mark (and to which I was referring to errant advice) was a post dismissing the surfboard question and recommending talking to various folks about dialing in a taps3 z3. Which he doesn’t own.

Sorry if I honked you off. Lost in translation. He likely has a 2013 Z3 working pretty good because you fill it, list it, and hit the gas. Maybe consider a suck gate for ease of use and slight wave improvement.

The issue is: He really wants a better board. And—He will benefit greatly from a proper board—as things are pretty dicey at 260#. A sexy 195 pounder like yourself gets a lot more error margin than a big fella. Even station wagon boards aren’t meant to carry 260#—they’re meant to be big and docile for the average male of your size or even smaller. Not the big fella. I have gone through all of this, and I am only 230# (and ugly).

So many big fellas have had the light come on with a real, proper surfboard. Including me. It was a Walker Project Bazooka that illustrated the real difference to me. Behind a slammed 2006 24Ve.

Your advice is great—dial your boat. For sure. But get a good board for the big fella. He needs it badly.

Hahaha! You’re a savage Dakota! I hope to get to surf with ya at some point you witty summmbitch!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
          Hahaha! You’re a savage Dakota! I hope to get to surf with ya at some point you witty summmbitch!!
          Fly that fancy jet plane to Sioux Falls! I am frozen to the ground here, so I can’t leave ever. I will be here God willing!

Comment

Board and Fin choice are 2 things that cant be over looked.

-The CORRECT performance board can make a beginner ride with ease
            -A good board with the wrong fins can have the opposite effect
            -A heavy production board can make a beginner hate the sport

Those are my 3 opinions...

Oh and Sould Craft for the win...
            Germaine Marine
            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

^^^x2!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                Board and Fin choice are 2 things that cant be over looked.

-The CORRECT performance board can make a beginner ride with ease
                -A good board with the wrong fins can have the opposite effect
                -A heavy production board can make a beginner hate the sport

Those are my 3 opinions...

Oh and Sould Craft for the win...
                ^^PREACH SON!!

Comment

I ride a long pretty wave with a nice curl off of an SE450...I don’t quite understand your assertion. I would classify thigh high as “huge.” [emoji848]

I was implying in my experience the prettiest waves dont always push the best. Im only saying before dropping crazy money on a board , have a fellow rider help with the wave. Then demo boards.
                  If you wanna know what I did , come with me next time...

Comment

Originally posted by Langwell View Post
                    I was implying in my experience the prettiest waves dont always push the best. Im only saying before dropping crazy money on a board , have a fellow rider help with the wave. Then demo boards.
                    Understood—I guess I don’t consider a wave pretty unless it pushes [emoji6]. 🤷🏼*♂️

Bottom line is a 260# man on a CWB ride is poor. $799 on a Ringer XL will be worth it’s weight in gold for a big man such as the OP.

Comment

I'm 6'2" 300LB

A performance board that will float you no problem and still be responsive enough to pull off tricks like a "small guy" is the Bazooka by The Walker Project. Best big boy performance board I have found.

I ride the 5'5" behind a 2006 22VE. Taps 2.5 for longer wake or 4 for shorter taller wake. Speed 10.5 to 11 depending on conditions. 1500lb fat sac that fills left side (My surf side) storage locker and under seats. 400lb ballast strapped on surf side on top of rear deck.

Comment

Understood—I guess I don’t consider a wave pretty unless it pushes [emoji6]. 🤷🏼*♂️

Bottom line is a 260# man on a CWB ride is poor. $799 on a Ringer XL will be worth it’s weight in gold for a big man such as the OP.

Dakota if you’ve never surfer before is it reasonable to just go out and get a chaos ringer xxl or xl. Or in the learning phase should I get a cheaper board because I might bang it up?

Also
                        Doomswell neo 5’2” is weight rated for 315 ringer xl is 320 xxl is 340. I’m sitting at 312lbs. Heaviest was 330 in college. Which of those two boards would you get? They are about the same in cost.

Finally in general, if you don’t throw the boards around or out of the boat onto the street or dock how long to boards last. $800 over 4 years no problem. $800 every year might be an issue with the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by gruntster View Post
                          Dakota if you’ve never surfer before is it reasonable to just go out and get a chaos ringer xxl or xl. Or in the learning phase should I get a cheaper board because I might bang it up?

Also
                          Doomswell neo 5’2” is weight rated for 315 ringer xl is 320 xxl is 340. I’m sitting at 312lbs. Heaviest was 330 in college. Which of those two boards would you get? They are about the same in cost.

Finally in general, if you don’t throw the boards around or out of the boat onto the street or dock how long to boards last. $800 over 4 years no problem. $800 every year might be an issue with the wife.

Take care of them and they last indefinitely! I would personally err on the side of bigger when you’re brand new. I would snag the XXL at your size. That way, if your wave is off or your lake is shallow or whatever, there is margin for error. You will run it as a thruster when learning and possibly remove the center fin as you want to thrash around a bit.

I am a much bigger fan of Chaos than Doomswell, but please know that is just a personal opinion of one man. However, I have owned 2 Doomswells and 4 Chaos to form my opinions.

That ringer shape will always be fun. Awesome for tandem riding with a little kid, a nice cruise, and can certainly rip too.

To answer your first question, a beginner isn’t much more likely to bang a board up than any other person. You most likely are not going to hit the boat! Other than that you may hit your elbows, knees, melon or whatever but boards rarely take a shot that hurts them if you’re being reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by $eeker View Post
                            I'm 6'2" 300LB

A performance board that will float you no problem and still be responsive enough to pull off tricks like a "small guy" is the Bazooka by The Walker Project. Best big boy performance board I have found.

I ride the 5'5" behind a 2006 22VE. Taps 2.5 for longer wake or 4 for shorter taller wake. Speed 10.5 to 11 depending on conditions. 1500lb fat sac that fills left side (My surf side) storage locker and under seats. 400lb ballast strapped on surf side on top of rear deck.
                            ^^I also had a Bazooka, and it’s a great big man board.

Comment

... but boards rarely take a shot that hurts them if you’re being reasonable.
                              Famous last words! If you only would have listened to Mikaela! "Here, let me help you with that"

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
                                Famous last words! If you only would have listened to Mikaela! "Here, let me help you with that"
                                “ if you’re being reasonable” key words, typed with trolls in mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X