Wake surfing for big guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Good lord almighty son if you spend $1500-2000 on a custom board you need your head examined!
    No offense taken! This is exactly why I posted the thread... do people actually pay that kind of money for a board?! I figure the Ringer @ $799 is probably near the most I would ever want to pay for a board, custom or not.

Comment

I have found a huge long pretty wave with curl is just for the marketing guys. On the z3 we ride a knee high to mid thigh wave with tons of push. Just play with it. My suggestion on boards would be demo,demo,demo !
      If you wanna know what I did , come with me next time...

Comment

So is there really a board company that gave you quotes for $1500-2000 or are those just numbers you pulled out of a hat? I think $8-900 is about the most I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
          So is there really a board company that gave you quotes for $1500-2000 or are those just numbers you pulled out of a hat? I think $8-900 is about the most I've seen.
          There are definitely a couple at the low end of that number...

Comment

Wake surfing for big guys?

Originally posted by Langwell View Post
            I have found a huge long pretty wave with curl is just for the marketing guys. On the z3 we ride a knee high to mid thigh wave with tons of push. Just play with it. My suggestion on boards would be demo,demo,demo !
            I ride a long pretty wave with a nice curl off of an SE450...I don’t quite understand your assertion. I would classify thigh high as “huge.” [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
              These are just numbers I've seen while browsing Google. $2000 is an exaggeration, but I know I've seen some speak of paying $1500 for some (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804962)... but I have no idea why, or what made the board so expensive. Either way, my jaw hit the floor and it had me question whether that was (ever) justifiable and could I get by with a production board of some sort.

Comment

Lots of good info here regarding boards but if it was my money before you go tossing money at boards make sure your wave is dialed in as much as possible. Looks like you’ve got a 13’ Z3, I’m assuming your boat is taps 3? If so there’s a bunch of write ups on dialing in the wave on that boat. TheGerman and elevatedconcepts did a bunch of work on weighting and taps settings to produce a bad *** competition quality wave with their Z3’s.

Comment

A 2013 would not be a TAPS3 Boat?

And, even if there is additional dialing to be had on your boat, you will still want a very good board. CWB Ride is not a good board! You deserve better LOL! Having a capable board isn’t much less important than having your wave dialed.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
                    A 2013 would not be a TAPS3 Boat?
                    Is that a question or a statement?
                    Hell, I don’t know what every model boat comes equipped with man, what year did taps 3 come out? Im just out here slumming it with an 07 22VE! I cant say I’ve ridden a CWB ride but it looks like the equivalent of the CWB tsunami I learned on. There’s nothing wrong with getting the basics down with the old station wagon before you buy the sports car. Good boards aren’t cheap and while I agree with ya about your stepping stone point there’s no reason why a big dude shouldnt be able to go ropeless all day on that board if you have the basics down and have a good wave. Hopping on a pro caliber board outta the gate can be just as frustrating as not being able to go ropless on a board you think is holding you back. No doubt a good board makes a huge difference, can’t argue that at all but you need to have the basics down to justify buying up in my opinion. What size is the CWB ride anyhow?
                    I ride a phase 5 diamond 54” and love it. I’m 6’ 195 and dead sexy.
                    Disclaimer: I’m a cheap SOB and it was tough justifying a $700 board at the time but I’m glad I got it.
                    Last edited by Jetdriver; 02-23-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Here’s a pre taps 3 Z3. Like others have said having the proper sized board makes a world of difference and in no means is a 1000 dollar board going to magically make you better. DFB00F1C-F7A4-4081-8FDE-A1A583F587CE.jpg
                      BE4BC7C4-615B-49D2-8FC4-9AB344F9A3DB.jpg

Comment

2016 was first year of Taps3... Germaine Marine has been installing a taps3 kit to some older hulls. Getting the buoyancy of the board in the correct location relative to the size of the rider makes a HUGE difference. Can you get to a point that you can go rope less on virtually any board? Sure can, but once you e been on a board that was designed for your height/weight your no longer just “going rope less” to actually surfing and learning tricks. Like I said, I am 6’1” 260-270, production boards I have tried
                        Inland surfer red rocket.. might as well surf a door..
                        Ronix carbon thruster... decent board, not much in the way of fun factor for me personally, but easy to go rope less on and has decent speed down the line..
                        Ronix koal fish... I like the thruster better
                        CWB ? Didn’t get the name of the board since I couldn’t stand riding it at all.
                        Doomswell nubstep was a decent board, in fact I was going to buy it, but glad I got my Chaos instead.
                        Brigade-I have there Bomber that was a gift, it’s shorter than I care for but is fast as hell once it’s moving.. but I tend to pearl the nose a lot due to it being short for my height.
                        I’ve done several events where you can try numerous boards, and at the end of the day I will take my Ringer XL hands down every time. I agree that you should try demoing some boards, if you’re ever in Utah, I’d gladly take you out and let you try any of my boards you want. But do yourself a favor and don’t buy a board until you try Chaos..[emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                          Is that a question or a statement?
                          Hell, I don’t know what every model boat comes equipped with man, what year did taps 3 come out? Im just out here slumming it with an 07 22VE! I cant say I’ve ridden a CWB ride but it looks like the equivalent of the CWB tsunami I learned on. There’s nothing wrong with getting the basics down with the old station wagon before you buy the sports car. Good boards aren’t cheap and while I agree with ya about your stepping stone point there’s no reason why a big dude shouldnt be able to go ropeless all day on that board if you have the basics down and have a good wave. Hopping on a pro caliber board outta the gate can be just as frustrating as not being able to go ropless on a board you think is holding you back. No doubt a good board makes a huge difference, can’t argue that at all but you need to have the basics down to justify buying up in my opinion. What size is the CWB ride anyhow?
                          I ride a phase 5 diamond 54” and love it. I’m 6’ 195 and dead sexy.
                          Disclaimer: I’m a cheap SOB and it was tough justifying a $700 board at the time but I’m glad I got it.
                          Its a statement about the boat and a question to you about your advice, I guess. All rolled into one? LOL
                          So this is not a taps3 boat (I thought maybe you knew it was retrofitted or something), and likely makes a very good but not world class wave, right? At least compared to the current waves that Z3s are kicking out. It might need a suck gate or whatever....that could help.

So when you're working with a slightly smaller wave, the board becomes even more paramount--IF you want to see progress. Nobody is suggesting a pro level board here....rather suggesting a high quality board with some features that enable progression. They are still forgiving, stable, durable, etc;

Example: I have a very dialed monster wave on a Supra SE450. I have surfed an absolute crapload of times. I am a good rider, but certainly not Chase Hazen. I have even ridden my kids boards ropeless--a 48" Lakewakes Bean. Last summer, we brought a Ronix Koal Powertail out for fun (green and white), and at 6'3" and 230 I could BARELY keep that brick going. And I know how to pump very well....the board just plain sucked balls in comparison to a better board like my Chaos RacerX or Soulcraft Jimmi8. Like, its not even close.

CWB Ride is a very heavy, low end brick if I am not mistaken?

Even when people start out learning, everyone wants to go cheap. So they grab a $350 brick. Ride it, learn the basics, then get a $700 high quality board. Total investment: $1050. In reality, you could have learned just as effectively on a better built board, and have a much higher ceiling for getting better--all for starting out at $700. But the OP is in the added pickle that he is a bigger fella. A proper board makes the world a better place for the big fellas. No question!

Just my two cents. I have owned a veritable boatload of boards, and have seen that the cheap bricks don't make a lot of sense as a stepping stone. Unless of course you truly cannot afford the extra $300, then that's a different story. And in that case thats perfectly justified--something is better than nothing, right? But, most boaters are used to stuff being a little bit spendy and probably can spring $300 for the better one.

But, this is just advice, and its worth what I am charging for it honestly. In this case, it is advice from someone who has put 500 hours on 3 boats in 3 summers doing nothing but surfing on at least 15 different boards, so there is some experience/data here that I am leaning on. Not bragging, just suggesting that maybe OP can use my experience to his benefit...?

Love to all! Good boards are so worth it! Its like taking your boots off and putting track spikes on. You feel like you're free!

Dakota
                          @unicornsurfcompany on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by cbath View Post
                            2016 was first year of Taps3... Germaine Marine has been installing a taps3 kit to some older hulls. Getting the buoyancy of the board in the correct location relative to the size of the rider makes a HUGE difference. Can you get to a point that you can go rope less on virtually any board? Sure can, but once you e been on a board that was designed for your height/weight your no longer just “going rope less” to actually surfing and learning tricks. Like I said, I am 6’1” 260-270, production boards I have tried
                            Inland surfer red rocket.. might as well surf a door..
                            Ronix carbon thruster... decent board, not much in the way of fun factor for me personally, but easy to go rope less on and has decent speed down the line..
                            Ronix koal fish... I like the thruster better
                            CWB ? Didn’t get the name of the board since I couldn’t stand riding it at all.
                            Doomswell nubstep was a decent board, in fact I was going to buy it, but glad I got my Chaos instead.
                            Brigade-I have there Bomber that was a gift, it’s shorter than I care for but is fast as hell once it’s moving.. but I tend to pearl the nose a lot due to it being short for my height.
                            I’ve done several events where you can try numerous boards, and at the end of the day I will take my Ringer XL hands down every time. I agree that you should try demoing some boards, if you’re ever in Utah, I’d gladly take you out and let you try any of my boards you want. But do yourself a favor and don’t buy a board until you try Chaos..[emoji6]

^^^^THIS! Excellent synopsis my friend.

Comment

This is fantastic info guys! Thank you so much! It looks like I'll splurge a bit on the Ringer XXL

Comment

Dakota-I assumed a 13’ Z3 was a Taps 3 boat so my advice is bad? Oops, my bad. I wasn’t discounting any of your or any one else’s advice by suggesting another opinion. If I came off like that it wasn’t my intention. What did I say that was wrong? I didn’t suggest he go out and buy another budget board. He already has the CWB, just trying to save the OP a couple bucks by suggesting to make sure the wave is dialed in (taps at 2 seems awfully low to me) and to get the basics down BEFORE buying a super nice board. It’s nice to have a big, stable, forgiving board for beginners to beat on anyhow. I certainly don’t let everyone that hops in my boat ride my board. Most people that own surf/wake boats own several boards for the reason that there isn’t a one size/style fits all. I ride mostly skim style but am planning on purchasing a nice surf style this summer. Must demo!!
                                If any of you guys are gonna make your way to Denver for whatever bring some of your custom boards, I’ll pull ya if I can take em for a spin!!

Comment

Working...
                                X