new wakesurf board help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new wakesurf board help?

I'm a 38 year old dude, 155lb, looking to upgrade my wakesurf board surf style. I have a z3. My skills are average at best, I like to carve and I want to learn how to consistently land front side airs. I'm not to interested in 360's, shuv its, my wife is my only driver so she doesn't have a lot of patience to keep on turning around to pick me up. I've narrowed it down to these four boards in order.
    1. Chaos bamboo sixer,
    2. Doomswell neo
    3. Soul craft da honu
    4. phase 5 wire or race.

I like the quad fin set up on sixer and neo, seems like there is versatility. I'm leaning towards the sixer because I've read that its less likely to nose dive with the rocker setup. It also appears more durable compared to the neo. Should I go complete custom or just get the 4'6''. Thanks

Can't help you with the board (haven't tested any of those... yet) but is the CPO in your screen name a Navy reference?

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
      Can't help you with the board (haven't tested any of those... yet) but is the CPO in your screen name a Navy reference?
      LOL...pobanz is my real last name...I should probably change that. What does CPO mean?

Comment

Chief Petty Officer - E-7 in the United States Navy.

Comment

Soulcraft all the way is what we ride
          surf till u die.

Comment

We surf on the NEO.
            Great board. Fast

Comment

The da huno and neo are more comparable to the Chaos Pocket Rocket and Contender.
              The p5 wire and race are more similar to the Chaos Sixer.

4'6" in the Sixer is a perfectly adequate size for you. You could go shorter, but you wouldn't need to. I would similarly reccomend a 4'6" in either the Contender or Pocket Rocket.
              All 3 will advance your air game. If durability is the name of the game either board can be built to last, and last, and last. I have customers that have boards that I built for them over 10 years ago still going strong.

Nick

Comment

Order from Nick. Just do it. Game over.
                Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

^^^^ X2
                  Call Nick, talk with him for a couple minutes, place your order according to what he suggests and be prepared to be blown away when you ride it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos View Post
                    The da huno and neo are more comparable to the Chaos Pocket Rocket and Contender.
                    The p5 wire and race are more similar to the Chaos Sixer.

4'6" in the Sixer is a perfectly adequate size for you. You could go shorter, but you wouldn't need to. I would similarly reccomend a 4'6" in either the Contender or Pocket Rocket.
                    All 3 will advance your air game. If durability is the name of the game either board can be built to last, and last, and last. I have customers that have boards that I built for them over 10 years ago still going strong.

Nick
                    I haven't ridden enough boards to know the small differences. I think I just need to pick one and go with it. Between the sixer, pocket rocket, and contender which one do you think will be the most "forgiving" to help me progress into the future? Which one will carry the best speed on approach, be forgiving on landing, and be easier to recover from the back of the wake? Any of these boards will be much better than the hyperlite I've been riding. I probably just drop an order on your website. As my skills progress I'll probably add another board to my quiver next year. I've been interested in the sixer, because I've been told that it is great board that is easy to ride? Not sure about the others. What changes were made to the sixer for 2017? In addition, I've got several family and friends that are beginner surfers and their weights are pushing 250 lbs +....they are big dudes. It'd be nice to get them surfing ropeless, or surfing at all, would the nose rider be a good board for them to have fun on. I think id enjoy messing with it too. Thanks.

Comment

It really depends on what you want.. for sure I would say if you are a good rider and you ride a lot go custom!
                      i had many surfboard both skim and surfstyle (because I used to work at a water sport shop) ronix, phase5, byerly.. they are all great brand and make great board. But custom board are better bang for the buck and you help real buddies who worked hard for their product and they make them with love!

Right now I have a soulcraft Emily and I simply LOVE it. Jeff is a really good guy who really love his job, he respond fast and make everything you need. He made my dream board exactly as I wanted with all my direction.

My girlfriend have a Doomswell. Super board too And she love it! I think doomswell is more like "popular" they are beautiful board too but I preferred soulcraft just because the Polynesian thing haha and Jeff looks more custom friendly haha because I had MANY direction (apologize to Jeff If you read this! I know I was a terrible client haha)

Comment

Originally posted by cpobanz View Post
                        I haven't ridden enough boards to know the small differences. I think I just need to pick one and go with it. Between the sixer, pocket rocket, and contender which one do you think will be the most "forgiving" to help me progress into the future? Which one will carry the best speed on approach, be forgiving on landing, and be easier to recover from the back of the wake? Any of these boards will be much better than the hyperlite I've been riding. I probably just drop an order on your website. As my skills progress I'll probably add another board to my quiver next year. I've been interested in the sixer, because I've been told that it is great board that is easy to ride? Not sure about the others. What changes were made to the sixer for 2017? In addition, I've got several family and friends that are beginner surfers and their weights are pushing 250 lbs +....they are big dudes. It'd be nice to get them surfing ropeless, or surfing at all, would the nose rider be a good board for them to have fun on. I think id enjoy messing with it too. Thanks.
                        A Sixer is perfect for you and what you want to achieve. Minor changes to the volume placement and the tail has been modified to a pretty straight up wide diamond tail on the production Sixer for 2017. Other than that, new color option on the bamboo series. Custom is custom and can be made any way you want or how we decide will be best for you.

For your larger friends, yes a noserider is a great choice to get them start and they are just fun for everyone. I call them pure fun wrapped up in foam and resin. I would also reccomend a Ringer XL or XXL for your larger friends. I have a XXL that received a small ding during transport, that is available discounted.

Nick

Comment

I like the fin options with my Doomswell because it's like riding 3 different boards. It's a very fragile board though.
                          If I'm not surfing, I'm making money to surf.

Comment

Order from Nick. Just do it. Game over.

Wait, I said that already.

Comment

Originally posted by Wagonhound View Post
                              I like the fin options with my Doomswell because it's like riding 3 different boards. It's a very fragile board though.
                              Any board that's worth owning is going to be somewhat "fragile"--it is thinly wrapped-in-a-crust foam after all. However, common sense prevails. Take care of it and you will be fine. Never will a good surfboard be as durable as a plastic cruddy wakeboard-construction surf board.
                              All good boards will have fin placement options--see the Sixer mentioned above as a great example. Fin placement options galore, and all ride differently and are a hoot to play with. Difference is, when you get a board with Nick, the fins that come with are absolutely top-notch, and are included in the package. Don't discredit this. A Doomswell will come with basic fins, which comparatively suck to put it bluntly. Actually, most boards will come with some entry level basic fin (I don't know what Soulcraft sends out though)--and the absolute fact is that good fins make a big difference in the performance of the board. On a surf style setup, you are riding the fins as much as you are riding the board itself if you are pumping, carving, etc; They matter BIG TIME. They are foils, they flex, they are very integral to the way it all works. Way more than little rudders.

Get the good stuff! Worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
                              X