Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL! No skinny guy here!

Comment

When you get a board look for a long one and a floaty one. For the broardcast at least get the 5'6" and look at others in that same legnth or longer. Read the specs on them and size one for your size. Be sure to use a dedicated surf rope.
      Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the input and info!

Comment

I'm with Nicky... even though most new surfers buy a broadcast (it was on sale!), it doesn't mean it's the most economical buy because you're gonna buy and sell it. An inland surfer blue lake or a phase five oogle would both be great alternatives that are "good" enough to grow on.

I don't really like the blue lake because it's like riding a barn door. Yes, it's fast down the line, but holy moly is it "dead." It's a FANTASTIC beginner platform for adults though.

If you have kids, I can't recommend the phase five scamp highly enough. We won one from Towanza last year, and it has been a godsend. That little lunchtray is PERFECT for anyone 110lbs and under (that would include teens and little ladies). I'm way too heavy for it at 165, but I can still stay in the pocket with some aggressive pumping. It's a blast!

here's a vid of my 11 Y/O on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DarNSfDDc

Comment

Thats pretty cool Surfing and working on your moves at the same time
            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

I love seeing the ankle biters get after it.

I think I've heard you guys surf before. That's a nice lookin wake. I might try and talk you into a pull this summer. I've never surfed an MB before.

My wife rides a P5 Prop. At 190, I'm able to ride it a little ways before I'm tired of pumping. I was thinking about getting a Scamp for the kids. Mine is only three but, my buddy's kid that comes out quite a bit is seven. I think he's ready. I would recommend a P5 any day. Of coarse, I like hard railed pin tails.

IS makes pretty nice stuff but that Blue Lake does look like a straight ahead only machine. Never been on one but, it looks like it rides like school bus. I'm sure its great for learning on.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

the blue lake is a straight ahead machine for sure. We got a prop at the very end of the season last year, but I only got one day on it. Seems nice a loose and it should spin well.

Also picked up a victoria skim and a xxx 4'8" slasher for this season. I've read that the victoria should be pretty fast, same for the slasher.

Had an IS Mucus last year. It was just OK. IMHO, the surf style inland boards are very dead. I've not ridden any of the skim stuff. Well except for an older yellow loogie, which is the fastest board I've ever been on, but tended to pearl at the drop of a hat. No rocker at all on that one.

The scamp has a lot of rocker for a short little lunchtray, but nonetheless it's pretty fast. Hard to pearl but still fast, which makes it great for the kids. In that vid I was speeding up the whole time. I think I was pretty close to 14 by the time he finally fell out. Yeah, if you were at lahontan in september, you probably heard us (no system till then).

Comment

I was out there. It's funny, for years, we were the only people we ever saw surfing out there. Now everybody out there surfs.

You'll have to have a go on my Walzer this summer. It is a rocket ship. Especially compared to a Prop. At your weight, you might have to go 14.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                  X