Wake surfing beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake surfing beginners

I'm gonna give surfing a shot this summer. Whats a good starter board?

Hyperlite Broadcast is a popular choice for starters but u will likely progress quickly and seek a diff board. Avoid the hyperlite Landlock - it works but kinda bulky. Broadcast is a good all around board and other newbies will use that board too. What's your weight? any others using? Look in the wakesurf forum for more info too. Get ready to get hooked - its LOTS of fun.

Comment

I learned on a Broadcast but quickly moved up to the Inland Surfer Blue Lakes. When I bought my boat it came with the Blue Lakes so I pretty quickly moved to it. The broadcast worked good and had some speed. It is durable and inexpensive. There are lots of others to look at too. You will probably end up with a few in the end. Also remember that there are surf style and skimboard style. You will want a surf style too learn on. And then a skim style to do tricks with.
      Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Another Hyperlite Broadcast vote. I was in your same situation last year. I moved on to a Lakewakes at the end of last year but still bring the Broadcast for all the new people to use. Besides the questions already asked what ballast do you have in your RZ2? That will also make a difference on your board selection.

Comment

Same as above, the broadcast is a good board to learn on but you will advance and want another soon. But I keep it on the boat almost always for others to learn on
          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Broadcast is what I had started learning on at the end of the year last year I dont think I'll be on it long this year(I hope lol)

Comment

I have voted for the 5'6" Broadcast on many occasions. They are good beginner boards. However, just about everybody outgrown it in the first year. Another rational for buying them is, "I just want to try surfing out to see if I like it." When was the last time you heard someone say "Eh, I tried it and didn't really like it."

This time, I'm going to suggest the Inland 4skim. It's good, stable board with some decent speed. It's proven to be fairly durable and it also fits in a standard wakeboard rack. You can get it in a tri fin that will be super stable and you can set it up as a single for more of a traditional skim when you want to start spinning. It's got enough performance to keep you progressing for much longer than the Broadcast and it will still be good for beginners.

I honestly don't understand the surf style for learning on. Yes they are stable and will give you a ton of speed but, they are more fragile, more money and more difficult to store on the boat. It's much more of an advanced platform IMO.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Nick:

For info purposes, which Inland Surfer 4Skim? Seems to be a few and wondering for my own knowledge.

Comment

I would say the Black Pearl. It's the biggest one. My buddy has one and I've ridden it many times. It's the original BP so it only has a single fin. I'm used to my board which is extremely quick edge to edge and fairly fast. His Black Pearl isn't quite as fast but, its much more stable. It's really easy to surf. They are spendy though. Sheesh. Maybe try find one used or something.

Comment

another broadcast vote. 4'9" and 5'6" are both on my boat

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
                      Another Hyperlite Broadcast vote. I was in your same situation last year. I moved on to a Lakewakes at the end of last year but still bring the Broadcast for all the new people to use. Besides the questions already asked what ballast do you have in your RZ2? That will also make a difference on your board selection.
                      My RZ2 has the factory ballast. I'm not sure what I'm going to go with but it will be upgraded before summer time. I'm a pretty big guy. i'm 6'2'' about 240. But with diet and my workout I plan on 220 by summer time. Thanks everyone for all the input

Comment

oktige, have you been out yet this year? I went last weekend and the water temp was 62. It was just fine with a wetsuit and if I did not have one I probably would still go. That was the water temp at the end of the season last year and we were going without wetsuits. With the temp being in the low 80s it would not be too bad at all.

What lake do you usually go too? If you think you need some help in learning to surf or wanting to try out the broadcast or a few other boards we could try and hook up at some point. I am in Stillwater.

Comment

What factory ballast system do you have?

Comment

I went out and just drove the RZ2 to check it out. Its way different then the 20V I had. Im down around Atoka so I go to McGee out by lane. Its a small lake with few people on it so I like it. I think the 07 factory ballast hard tanks was around 950 I believe. I'm not 100% on that tho!

Comment

Oh, you might want a big fella board.

Comment

Working...
                              X