Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't this just beg to be done with a wakesurf board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stuff your doing is amazing.

Comment

thats incredible lite!!!

Comment

So I just went to home deoit because well, I want a clear wakeboard and I think its the cooleat thing ever. Anyways they had massive sheets of. 220 thick acrylic lexan and it was 156$... I want to say its like 7ftx3ft. Well that's the only thing I can find at this time of the night and it just wasn't even close enough to being strong... very flexible. I'm curious as to how flexible the half inch or even one inch would be but I'm scared to order it and not be able to use it. Are there other sourses of acrylic that I can check out? Adter reading I personally think acrylic would be much better than polycarbonate. It wont loose its strength as long as you do it right... I will have to do further reading but it does not chip or scratch as easy and does not yellow. Also if it ever hazes or fades then you can polish it back out. So I think in the long run it would be better.
        For Those About To Ride We Solute You

Comment

Thanks guys! It is fun to make these things.

@ ddm my local TAP plastics and Lowes both have polycarbonate and acrylic. The non-brand name polycarbonate is cheaper, but it's still way more than acrylic. I found the acrylic very brittle. In the Lowes I was bending a piece and it snapped! The Lexan just kept bending and bending. I had to buy the piece I broke, so I tried working with it and wow IMO, it's much harder to work with than the Lexan I bought. Shattered, chipped and just overall was a pain.

I'm not an expert in those plastics, but I opted for the polycarbonate for ease in working.

On the stiffness, I need to make the board float, so I am layering the sheets, the middle layer will have cut out to trap air. Anytime you glue up 3 pieces of anything, it gets stiff. We have some 1/2" thick acrylic trophies that are really stiff, but they are maybe 10 unches tall. Not sure about wakeboard lengths.

I get wholesale pricing at my local TAP, so I don't really go anywhere else, sorry man!
          Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

All good! Keep us poated and thanks for the info! Ill do sone googling to see if I can find any because I don't have a surfboard. I always used my neighbors but I moved so I have no more surfboard. I juat gotta buy or make one
            For Those About To Ride We Solute You

Comment

Bringing this one back! I want to see a clear board for this season!

Comment

Yeah it has to be done! I ran into a snag with the glue. I don't know of an easy way to cut the 3 layers of material to shape that the all align on the edge after bending in the rocker. So my plan was to just cut all 3 pieces to the same shape. Glue them up and then when the glue was all cured, go back and route the outline one more time to trim all three pieces flush.

When I laid up a test panel, to test that plan, the glue caught fire! Well not reall on fire, but it melted at a different rate than the plastic and screwed up the edges. It sort of turned brown like burning.

I tried adjusting the rate of the router and at a certain speed the plastic started chipping. So I'm on the hunt for a different glue )
                Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Glad to hear that you are still thinking about it!

Comment

Working...
                  X