Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't this just beg to be done with a wakesurf board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That gives you lots of time to think outside the box

Comment

Yes it does skippabcool! and thanks for the compliment. I do like alternative materials and implementations!
      Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Hey guys, does anyone know about wind tunnel testing? I've seen video or pictures of those little streamer like things that are attached to the surface of whatever is being tested to get a visual indicator of the air flow over and around the surfaces.

I'd love to do that with this transparent board so that I can get an idea of water flow IS in trim and also while turning.

Anyone know anything about what those things are called? I'm pretty sure "streamer things" isn't the technical term

Comment

Jbort votes yes and son Jake (10 yr old) votes yes too. We are following on FB too. Jake likes the idea of Plants vs Zombies figures for the interior air space. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCj75UHe9g for more on the game. On second thought.... stuff inside might mess up "invisibility" factor so maybe not. What about traction? maybe sand specks on the top?

Comment

That's a funny game. Tell Jake I appreciate his following along, maybe he'll start build boards soo also? For the traction there are a few options. One is Hula Dek, it's a clear liquid that has some sort of particulate in it. I'm not certain if it will adhere to the Polycarbonate or Acrylic, though, Gotta test that! Another option is Versa Traction which is itself a polycarbonate with a 3m glue backing, so I'm sure that would work. I need to test clarity and adhesion, BUT we have options.

As for the snow globe effect I'm still working that through my head. The hollow air space in between is designed to aid with the board floating while unattended. The sheets by themselves will float, unless a corner or edge goes under water and then it sinks. With the slight amount of trapped air, it will (eventually) rise to the surface.

I could envision, a circular pocket sort of between the feet for the "snow globe" effect and then air pockets nose and tail. I think it's doable, although the plants vs zombies characters - may be outside my expertise!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
              Hey guys, does anyone know about wind tunnel testing? I've seen video or pictures of those little streamer like things that are attached to the surface of whatever is being tested to get a visual indicator of the air flow over and around the surfaces.

I'd love to do that with this transparent board so that I can get an idea of water flow IS in trim and also while turning.

Anyone know anything about what those things are called? I'm pretty sure "streamer things" isn't the technical term
              I've always known them as slip strings. You always see one on a glider. Basically a heads up display use meter. Same basic principle as the ones you see in the windtunnel covering whatever they are...covering. Realtime 3d data.

What would be cool inside that board would be some glo-stick liquid sloshing around. The night photos would be sik.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Thanks Nick!

The glow stick innards would be an interesting look, lots of stuff that can be done for graphics/appearance with that third dimension that aren't available with only 2D.

The glow stick reminded me of a vacation years ago, when James was in grade school. We rented a houseboat and James had a buddy come out with us for a few days. Being kids they would rough house and generally create havoc. One night they decided they were going to explore or fish or something using some glow sticks. I THINK it was to attract bugs or fish, anyway, they got to messing with the glow stick and decided it would be a good idea to BEND it until it broke open

James' buddy was COVERED in the stuff. All of his clothes, and all over his exposed body parts. He had this eerie glow for the rest of the trip. That first evening he kept complaining that he couldn't get to sleep because it was TOO BRIGHT in his bunk from the glow.

Comment

LOL! Funny story Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                    LOL! Funny story Jeff!
                    X2 thanks For sharing that one
                    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                      I've always known them as slip strings. You always see one on a glider. Basically a heads up display use meter. Same basic principle as the ones you see in the windtunnel covering whatever they are...covering. Realtime 3d data.

What would be cool inside that board would be some glo-stick liquid sloshing around. The night photos would be sik.
                      Not a "use" meter, a "yaw" meter. They use it to make sure they are flying as straight as possible. If you start "side slipping" or "crabbing", you create more drag, an importantly thing not to do in a glider. That little tuft of yarn taped to the windshield is still the best way to see if you are flying straight or sideways.

Comment

Isn't that a funny story? Those boys had a blast.

Thanks again Nick. I've got the Lexan on order and I'll find those slip strings or maybe just some flourescent orange strips of plastic.

The next iteration of this conecpt is almost done. This one is
                        3/4" thick, currently weighs a tad over 3 pounds, but will probably hit just under 5 pounds with fins and traction. It will have 4 layers of 6 oz Carbon Fiber when it's complete and is already WOW! stiff.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This now has 4 layers of 6 oz Carbon Fiber and is offically Holy Crap! stiff.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm. At 3/4", you could mount a fin box in it. What I'm wrestling with now is why? There are a ton of 3/4" boards out there that must be half the price. What that has going for it is shape, fins and weight (or lack thereof) but, with the materials used, how do you justify the cost? I guess you'll know when you ride it eh? You should let me ride it.

Comment

Thanks for following along Nick and the pertinent question, I need to finish something up, then I'll come back and address this.

In the mean time, could I borrow $1.1 million for the next experiment?
                              Attached Files

Comment

I'll buy it, go get it and bring it to you for $100k. C'mon, that's over 90% cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X