Who else is riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Nick, you always have th eye!

The carbon railed one that James is riding earlier on, is something new we are playing with - full carbon wrap with bamboo skins. James loves it, so far.

The white board you see in the last few pictures is Fiveflat's new TWP, I think he said 4'6" Signature model. Not sure on the length.
    Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

It's the 4'6" signature.

Jeff - Thanks for a GREAT day out there, I'm really glad you came out. I have to apologize again for huge crew that came out, but they loved it!
      Waiting for another good one!

Comment

No need to apologize Sheldon, we had a great time and you did us a huge favor since we were without a third. I didn't realize there was good water like that so close to home. That's 45 minutes closer!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
          Hey Nick, you always have th eye!

The carbon railed one that James is riding earlier on, is something new we are playing with - full carbon wrap with bamboo skins. James loves it, so far.
          Thanks.

Ya, that one. He says he likes it in the video. His riding shows it. Let us see when you get the chance. I've been kicking around the idea of a new board lately. That one really caught my eye. You wanna make me one?
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

This board is a little pricey, the components are gold plated, or diamond encrusted, I'm sure!!!!! It's just a prototype, so no pinlines or any effort to do a cut lap on the CF along the rails. Who knew it would work!

Internally there are some bits and pieces that don't show up, but it has perimeter weighting and higher density material to help reduce rail dings. Under the bamboo is a complete layer of carbon fiber, both top, bottom and along the rails. Next is a bamboo veneer it's 1/42" thick. Then a layer of carbon fiber tape along the rails that laps the edges of the 'boo veneer. Finally, it's all covered with some 4 oz fiberglass....oh and the diamonds and gold referred to above! With a clean cutlap on the CF tape along the rails and a nice offsetting pinline color, that would be a killer look. Thanks for following along Nick!
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's vid of Jake having fun from last Sunday......

and cliff jumpin:

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                This board is a little pricey, the components are gold plated, or diamond encrusted, I'm sure!!!!! It's just a prototype, so no pinlines or any effort to do a cut lap on the CF along the rails. Who knew it would work!

Internally there are some bits and pieces that don't show up, but it has perimeter weighting and higher density material to help reduce rail dings. Under the bamboo is a complete layer of carbon fiber, both top, bottom and along the rails. Next is a bamboo veneer it's 1/42" thick. Then a layer of carbon fiber tape along the rails that laps the edges of the 'boo veneer. Finally, it's all covered with some 4 oz fiberglass....oh and the diamonds and gold referred to above! With a clean cutlap on the CF tape along the rails and a nice offsetting pinline color, that would be a killer look. Thanks for following along Nick!
                I see there is a set of the little Futures boxes for a quad set up. Where can I get some fins for those boxes? I'm down to my last set.

Can you elaborate on the "perimeter weighting"? I'm not sure what that is.

That thing would look bitchin with a clean CF tape line.

Comment

Before I forget @ jbort, love the cliff diving video, we used to do that as kids and I'd literally be exhausted at the end of the day.

Hey Nick, those are futures C-5's. You can get them at either Towanza.com or Cal Marine Sports.

http://www.towanza.com/product/c5-fins

http://calmarinesports.com/

On the perimeter weighting, surfboards have always had weight out on the rails by virtue of the top and bottom fiberglass overlapping. So if the top of the board had 2 layers of fiberglass and the bottom 1 layer, the rails when overlapped would have 3 layers and therefore more weight.

On the Flyboy we played with that some more and added some heavier foam around the perimeter of the board. It gave extra weight, plus helped reduce rail dings. The extra weight out at the rails makes it easier to sink the rail into a turn or when going vertical. Without requiring the rail to be thinned out.

We're doing a little experiment on this board with the internal stuff, not sure if it's going to work yet, we haven't really given it enough riding time.

Yeah I agree, had we done the board cosmetically, it's a great look (and thanks by the way). The 'boo was just left over scraps, you can see the seam on the bottom towards the nose and the tape along the rails was sort of just put on there without much effort to make it "pretty".

Comment

for giggles, here's mom cliff jumping too....don't tell..she'll drill me.

Dad no jumps cuz I run the boat since the water is about 60-70 feet deep there so anchoring is tricky.

Comment

Here's our 10 year old son finally throwing the rope!

Last edited by AdaminMN; 08-27-2011, 04:35 PM.
                      The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Way to go!!!

Comment

I think you have explained "perimeter weighting" to me before. Thanks for the refresher. Kinda funny, it really ties in with all the new ballast set ups we are seeing lately, with the weight being ALL the way in back and on the sides. I had an idea for something but, that's top secret right now.

What do say you sell me that prototype when your done with it?

Comment

Top secret! Tell me all about it. Yeah, Nick, I'd be happy to offer you first dibs on anything we are done with, that is still in good shape.

Comment

Working...
                            X