Jumping the wake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by outkastz_kerry View Post
    oo and be careful with those face plants i busted my ear drum few weeks ago cough an edge on a bs 3 and landed ear first and that was no fun i couldnt get in the water for 4 weeks...
    Did that last season, but just a simple 180. caught an edge when i landed and turned my head to avoid the face smack which would have turned out better. This was at the beginning of the trip and didnt get to see a doctor for about a week and had to take ear drops for about 3-4 weeks 4 times daily!!

Comment

Youngin'

We went out this morning and had an awesome time. My 10 year old can't clear a wake to wake, but decided to try a back roll regardless... He did the same move 4 or 5 times and never getting any further around than this. Youth is a beautiful thing.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fit to be Tige View Post
        I like the image of smashing and pushing off vs. jumping. I think I tend to try and "jump". Which to Dogs point puts all the work on me vs. the physics of harnessing the energy of loading the line and the wake.
        You don't want to "jump". Instead, you want to lock your knees. If you watch the pros, they'll really bend their knees coming in on the progressive cut and then they'll straighten them into a locked position for takeoff. It might look like they are jumping, but it's actually all happening before they hit the wake.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I can't believe nobody has brought this up yet, but be careful of your rope length... Going 5-10 feet shorter can really make a difference... I had that problem a while back and I was trying to go too big... Shortened up the rope and started landing stuff I didn't think I could...
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/zachgarcia
          http://www.facebook.com/people/Zach-Garcia/1327360382

Comment

Originally posted by Lunchbox View Post
            I can't believe nobody has brought this up yet, but be careful of your rope length... Going 5-10 feet shorter can really make a difference... I had that problem a while back and I was trying to go too big... Shortened up the rope and started landing stuff I didn't think I could...
            i did suggest he shorten his rope on the previous page.

Comment

Youth is a beautiful thing.
              "Youth is wasted on the young!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fit to be Tige View Post
                We went out this morning and had an awesome time. My 10 year old can't clear a wake to wake, but decided to try a back roll regardless... He did the same move 4 or 5 times and never getting any further around than this. Youth is a beautiful thing.
                BTW, that's a nice clean looking wake.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                  BTW, that's a nice clean looking wake.
                  Thanks Dog. I absolutely love my 1999 2100i. Given that we are not on the pro-tour of anything, the wake is plenty big for boarding and plenty flat for slalom.

Last time out, I shortened the rope one length and just practice jumping and clearing on both toe and heel sides. It was a lot more fun with less pain, partly because I think I was more relaxed. Not sure I am getting any more height, but it was more fun and it looks cooler always going wake to wake. We were thinking about trying the bs180 next but now it sounds like some think the 360 is easier?? Not sure about that, we are just trying to advance with new trick sans killing ourselves.

Comment

The BS 180 is kinda hard. My son says it was easier for him to do a toeside 180, even easier than the TS wake-to-wake because the rope kinda pulls you around. You might want to try with that. When he learned it, he first started by removing his fins and doing a surface 180 so he could get comfortable with riding switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X