Jumping the wake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping the wake question

Was jumping the wake this past weekend and struggled working from the outside. Every time I get air, I feel as if I'm getting pulled down; ended with a couple nice face plants. The boat that was pulling me did not have a tower, instead the rope was hooked to eye off the back of the boat. Once I get my Tige with the tower, will this make jumping the wake easier?

Thanks in advance for comments and help.

Dan

the tower will make it easier but u gotta make sure u have good posture keep ur back straight dont try to jump let your edge and board give u the pop and most importantly keep a progressive edge and the best way to pratice that is go like 8 to 10 ft away from the wake and carve and hold the edge all the way throught the wake this will teach you a progressive edge and help you out a lot once u get on a tower....

Comment

You were being pulled down with the rope at that angle. The tower helps to keep you aloft longer. Sorry to hear about the faceplants. Those can hurt bad at times.

Comment

You should be able to jump wakes without a tower. My guess is that you're holding the rope too high. As outcast points out, you want to load up the line to give you the pop. The rope should always be down near your leading hip so that you are being pulled from your "center of gravity". Hold it to high and you'll be pulled forward or fall backward. If you watch the pros, look where they are holding the handle. It will always be in the place that gives them the best leverage for the trick they're pulling. As they've told me, if you're working hard, you're doing something wrong. Wakeboarding is a lot about physics and how to maximize the leverage you get from the rope, wake and boat momentum.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Face plant did not hurt too bad; have had worse.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to give it a try out on the lake today.

Comment

ok, so are you guys saying that i shouldn't even be "trying" to jump?? i mean at least until i get the feel of the progressive edge and the illusive "pop".

Comment

when the pros with the "tige in you back yard tour" came to our river they said to think of jumping the wake like jumping a pogo stick. edge into the wake and when you hit it, push off with your feet and pull the handle down to your waist (this is easier with a tower but still possible without), this will get you launched!!!

a lot of people i try to teach, try and ollie off the wake like on a skateboard, but its not like that you basically smash it and push off hard!!!!

Comment

I can jump from the middle of the wake to the outside carving the edge towards the wake, but my struggles are coming from the outside in. I'll have to work on placing the handle lower and see if that helps.

Comment

I like the image of smashing and pushing off vs. jumping. I think I tend to try and "jump". Which to Dogs point puts all the work on me vs. the physics of harnessing the energy of loading the line and the wake.

Comment

Originally posted by dinfusino View Post
                    I can jump from the middle of the wake to the outside carving the edge towards the wake, but my struggles are coming from the outside in. I'll have to work on placing the handle lower and see if that helps.
                    how big is your wake, i mean you can jump some pretty small wakes but bigger does help.

cut really as far out as you can, edge in hard, push off the wake and pull the handle to your hips and, there should be no way you cant clear it.

also, shorten your rope to start with so your not jumping as far, then when you get that dialed, lengthen it.

probs best advice tho is to charge it, you learn from your mistakes...

Comment

Originally posted by Fit to be Tige View Post
                      I like the image of smashing and pushing off vs. jumping. I think I tend to try and "jump". Which to Dogs point puts all the work on me vs. the physics of harnessing the energy of loading the line and the wake.
                      yeah i see so many people tyring to ollie, or even absorbing the shock with their knees like on a ski, your really fighting youself.

definately give the push off a go, you will get lifted!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tigesinaus View Post
                        how big is your wake, i mean you can jump some pretty small wakes but bigger does help.

cut really as far out as you can, edge in hard, push off the wake and pull the handle to your hips and, there should be no way you cant clear it.

also, shorten your rope to start with so your not jumping as far, then when you get that dialed, lengthen it.

probs best advice tho is to charge it, you learn from your mistakes...
                        Not sure how big the wake is; just guessing 1.5 to 2.0 ft. I'll take a picture later today of it if the weather clears (and if I can recruit a spotter on the lake).

Thanks again for the advise.

Comment

yeah no worries, i hope it helps!!! good luck for the day

Comment

Originally posted by Fit to be Tige View Post
                            ok, so are you guys saying that i shouldn't even be "trying" to jump?? i mean at least until i get the feel of the progressive edge and the illusive "pop".
                            right dont try and jump (as if your olling the wake) if you have a good edge u hold all the way through the wake and stand tall at the lip its self it gives you the pop also like dogbert said hold the handle at your waist like your trying to stuff it in your pocket if its out and just going where it wants it will pull you forward esp. when you pop and have the correct edge...

Comment

oo and be careful with those face plants i busted my ear drum few weeks ago cough an edge on a bs 3 and landed ear first and that was no fun i couldnt get in the water for 4 weeks...

Comment

Working...
                              X