No announcement yet.

Feedback on the Connelly F1X Ski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the new F1X out yesterday, I really really like it. The ski is definitely built for a much more skilled skier, but this year I have decided to ski instead of wakeboard. So I hope to be skiing closer it to its potential soon. I do need to angle the rear boot out a bit, my little toe was not happy after a session.
    I was skiing at 30 mph w/ 15 ft off, not balls and lots of boat wakes .

We got on the lake a bit late, but I can't complain for the first day out this year. It really was an amazing day 90ish and not too much wind.

Comment

Uploaded a picture of me...I guess thats what you get when you mix and amateur skier with an amateur cameraman.

Comment

Looks good Joe! That wake looks incredible!

Good right up on the ski. Keep them coming. That ski and binding setup look tempting.
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
          I love skiing
          Ditto----->But knees hate it

Heading to Bullshoals June 6th. hunting trip, for glass

Comment

What can I do to improve?

Alright here are a few shots of me last time I was out. I want some criticism, I know my style sux, I'm making the transition from wakeboarding to skiing. I am having so much fun on this ski and want to get better. I know water time is the biggest factor, and I'm trying to get out once a week, so that should help a bit.

I'm 150 lbs skiing a 67" F1X with 15' off at 32 mph. Here's what I can see I'm doing wrong:
            1) Holding the handle like I would on a wakeboard (I need to hold it using a baseball bat grip)
            2) I'm trying to bury the tail of the ski to make my turns instead of using the rail (too much rear pressure)...I don't know how to correct this.
            3) I'm having a hard time completing my port side turn, and cutting hard into the wake (like like wakeboarding your body is facing away from the boat so it is naturally uncomfortable)...I'm sure practice will help this. I saw a training video on youtube.com that I'm going to try next time I'm out.

Anything else...body position over the ski in the turn? in my cut?...knees bent too much?...hips?....

Comment

One thing is when make your cut don't pull you arms in to you body, you want to keep them extended.

As for the too much weight in the tail during your cut. Try this, when you are going out just before you start you cut back try and pushing you hips forward just before you make the cut. This will get you centered on the ski and off the tai;, force you to stand more upright and extend through the turn.
              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
                One thing is when make your cut don't pull you arms in to you body, you want to keep them extended.

As for the too much weight in the tail during your cut. Try this, when you are going out just before you start you cut back try and pushing you hips forward just before you make the cut. This will get you centered on the ski and off the tai;, force you to stand more upright and extend through the turn.
                Thanks G . I will have to break the bad habit of leaning back in my cut. I think I picked up that bad habit when I was skiing behind my parents boat with a Big 5 Blue Light Special ski. If you weren't in the tail, the fin wouldn't hold. And then coming across the wake was flat scary so I would lean back and bend the knees!! It was like trying to skateboard across a curb. If you weren't leaning far enough back, it was an automatic eject once you hit the wake.

Everytime I get behind my boat I appreciate how much nicer the wake is.

Also the hands out in the cut is definitely something I can work on. I'm probably pulling in the slack, but if I can get my weight centered better over the ski I should be able make that turn a bit tighter and not have slack to pick up. I'm assuming my approach into the cut is not helping the issue.

Maybe I'll get a video next time I'm out, they you can see how bad I really am!

Comment

I went out yesterday evening after everyone got off the lake. Definitely holding onto the handle like a baseball bat helped. So did dropping one hand and extending it going into a turn. As far as weight off the tail...I think water time will help. I'm still having trouble finishing strong on my cuts on the side shown below. Hope to head out there again mid week and get some more water time.

Also got the GF up on a wide body ski yesterday...hoping after a few more times and we can ditch the wakeboards and pole.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I wish you had more pics, or a video. That would help me criticize.

Turning on the tail = bad tough turn. Look at a picture of any big time skier and you will see them wrapping around the ball and almost the whole ski is in the water.

You want to be up on the front of the ski. You need to keep your knees bent, hips up, and shoulders back. When turning, drop your hips into the turn, it will help initiate your turn.

Where are your bindings set?
                    Common Sense is not so Common
                    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post
                      I wish you had more pics, or a video. That would help me criticize.

Turning on the tail = bad tough turn. Look at a picture of any big time skier and you will see them wrapping around the ball and almost the whole ski is in the water.

You want to be up on the front of the ski. You need to keep your knees bent, hips up, and shoulders back. When turning, drop your hips into the turn, it will help initiate your turn.

Where are your bindings set?
                      I will try to get some video next time I'm out (hopefully Friday).

I definitely need to get off the tail when turning, I felt like droping the handle opened up my hips and allowed for using whole ski to turn rather than the tail. But by no means am I there yet.

That is an excellent point as far as binding locations. I just slapped them on there in the middle holes on the bindings. I'm not sure how to correctly measure them, but maybe this will help.
                      Tail to Rear Heal location = 17 1/2"
                      Tail to Front Heal location ~ 30 1/2"
                      Nose to Front Heal location ~ 36 1/2"

I feel like moving them both forward would stiffen the ski up a lot. Maybe if I move the front one forward that would help me stay over the top of the ski and add stability??? I also might slightly rotate the angle of the rear boot to open my hips more.

Thanks Zad

Comment

Originally posted by Joeprunc View Post
                        I will try to get some video next time I'm out (hopefully Friday).

I definitely need to get off the tail when turning, I felt like droping the handle opened up my hips and allowed for using whole ski to turn rather than the tail. But by no means am I there yet.

That is an excellent point as far as binding locations. I just slapped them on there in the middle holes on the bindings. I'm not sure how to correctly measure them, but maybe this will help.
                        Tail to Rear Heal location = 17 1/2"
                        Tail to Front Heal location ~ 30 1/2"
                        Nose to Front Heal location ~ 36 1/2"

I feel like moving them both forward would stiffen the ski up a lot. Maybe if I move the front one forward that would help me stay over the top of the ski and add stability??? I also might slightly rotate the angle of the rear boot to open my hips more.

Thanks Zad
                        Binding placement can get a little tricky. You really dont want to be switiching it all the time. Its best to find whats best and stick to it and then adapt to the new feel. You really dont want to be moving them around until you nail down a proper form. From the pictures its hard to tell. Because If you are staying in the correct form, and still turning on the tail then its time to move it up.

Yeah whenever you get a chance post up a video and I will try to help the best I can. I am no expert but I can definately give you a few pointers to set you in the right direction.

Comment

I rotated the rear boot one notch so my small toe is closer to the rail. I also moved my front boot forward one setting (~3/8"), hope to head out tomorrow and see how it all pans out. I hope to get a video or two so you can see how bad I really am .

Comment

Went out to the Delta last Friday, and felt a lot more comfortable on the ski. Either the movement of the bindings or my mindset has helped a ton...I'm sure the glass helped too ! Since I've been going skiing at least once a week I can stay on the ski 20 times longer before my legs and arms are jello. The girl we had on board said she took some video, but I have yet to see it.

Thanks for all the help guys. I hope to be shredding like Zad soon!

Comment

Comment

Nice pics. It is nice to see someone working on their skiing.

Comment

Working...
                                X