Would you buy a 12 year old air chair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you buy a 12 year old air chair??

There is someone local selling an (12 year old) air chair, and I'm thinking about buying it. I've always wanted to try it, but not sure if I should buy something that old. He says it's in good shape, with a few nicks.

What would you do? And if you'd buy one that old, how much should I offer him for it?

I don't think you want that old of one. I'm sure skyski_tige or airjorgy can explain why but from what I have been told those aren't that good.

Comment

get the cheapy and if you love it upgrade sometime..

Comment

I think you would be fine as long as everything is is in good shape and solid. I mean really people by 12 year cars, trucks, boats all the time.
        Just my two cents.....
        15 Escalade ESV-Black
        08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Waterski-Rebel View Post
          There is someone local selling an (12 year old) air chair, and I'm thinking about buying it. I've always wanted to try it, but not sure if I should buy something that old. He says it's in good shape, with a few nicks.

What would you do? And if you'd buy one that old, how much should I offer him for it?
          I have been riding for 15 years and have had 4 skis. 1 AC and then 3 of the Skyski's.

If it is the old style AC... It is not worth much more than about $350 although I have seen people get $500+ on ebay. That ski might work for just getting the feel for the ski. You will not progress that much although I did learn my first roll on that exact setup. It is absolutely amazing how much the equipment has improved since that ski was introduced.

What to check:
          - Make sure the seat frame/padding is in good shape.(gator grip helps to make it so you don't slide off the seat)
          - It should have a cut out on the back of the seat to protect your tailbone
          - Make sure it has an upgraded seat belt http://www.cinchmax.com The older ones have a 'dive' belt buckle and is not safe at all
          - It will probably have the rubber foot straps to keep your feet in place. They are hard to put on after a couple of rides and when they break, it could be painful depending on the trick - again there is an aftermarket product from http://www.cinchmax.com - I would not personally ride a ski without the cinch foot straps
          - The older skis also had some sort of buckle with nylon strap to really keep your feet in place but I personally did not like that setup.
          - Make sure it has a pin to keep the foil assembly attached to the seat (the older style has a nut to hold the assembly in place, if the nut breaks and there is no pin, then you just lost the foil assembly)
          - Check the board on the bottom, there are 4 holes where the 'd' nut attach. Make sure there are no cracks in this area
          - Check the top and bottom around the seat, make sure there are not cracks in the board

Also get you a helmet, when learning there is a tendency for side falls which have blown ear drums.

If it was me, I would hook up with the Rocky Mountain Hydrofoil Club (AirJorgy) and get introduced to the sport with the newer equipment. Life is too short to ride crappy equipment!

http://www.rockymountainhydrofoilclub.com/

If you are ever in Houston, let me know and you can ride my ski anytime!
          Last edited by skyski_tige; 05-03-2009, 12:14 PM.
          If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Thanks for the info! They one I was looking at has been sold. AirJorgy loaned me a prop puller last year, and offered to meet me at the lake. If things work out this year, I'll take him up on his offer.

Comment

I learned on the old air chair, the gorilla. It was enough to get me the feel. I then upgraded to the newer syle air chair. I thought I liked it till I rode a sky ski LEX, didn't know it was $5000 at the time. Upgraded again to a b-39 sky ski, still not cheap but I like it. The good news is if you upgrade I sold all of my old stuff and lost very little money in the upgrade process.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyPity
                I am looking at buying new the low end beginners ski that is supposed to be easier to get up on vs the older Air Chairs which I was not able to get up on before knee surgery. The air chairs had aggressive foils and as soon as I was up the darn thing went airborne and after the 15th crash I wrenched my back. Now that I am up again hydro foiling is something my daughter loves and something I want to get into.

I have been told that the entry level ski can have its foils upgraded so that you could improve its performance after you master the basis. The price is right and if at 52 it becomes something I can enjoy then I would upgrade but I really don't want to spend $1000+ for a hydrofoil.
                Honestly... $1k is not going to get you much ski. You should check out http://www.foilforum.com I would suggest you look for riders in the area and you can try their ski before buying. It might give you a better idea of what you need.

Just about all the Skyski models can be upgraded. What part of Chicago are you in? I go to Northfield about twice a month.

Comment

Originally posted by skyski_tige View Post
                  Honestly... $1k is not going to get you much ski. You should check out http://www.foilforum.com I would suggest you look for riders in the area and you can try their ski before buying. It might give you a better idea of what you need.

Just about all the Skyski models can be upgraded. What part of Chicago are you in? I go to Northfield about twice a month.
                  I live in South Elgin and I boat a lot with my brother in-law and have tried to get up on his old Air Chairs and his Sky Ski last year and because he has had the foils wedged on the old Airchair and he has an aggressive one now as soon as I am on plane I am popping out of the water and have not been able to control.

The Hydroflight seemed like a way to try it out again when I go down to Bullshoals.

If I can find an upgraded Ski used I would consider it also.Thanks for the advice.
                  Last edited by MoneyPity; 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Personally, I would stay away for the hydroflight. There is a way to reverse shim the 'aggressive foil' so that it will stay down in the water. Just have to put a shim on the front side of the rear wing, he should also be able to slide the rear wing back and make it more stable. I have one of the LE38 foils(top of the line) and can slow mine down for beginners.

Comment

Hey guys,
                      I have one of the early models of air chair, bought it new for $550 I think. cant remember the year its been so long, you probably remember the one with the purple bottom and hot pink and yellow squigles down the top. still ride it, it sounds like a lot of changes have been made, anything I can do to improve mine? or should I sell it to a newbie and upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by skyski_tige View Post
                        Personally, I would stay away for the hydroflight. There is a way to reverse shim the 'aggressive foil' so that it will stay down in the water. Just have to put a shim on the front side of the rear wing, he should also be able to slide the rear wing back and make it more stable. I have one of the LE38 foils(top of the line) and can slow mine down for beginners.
                        Thanks for your input. Unfortunately where I wanted to try learning is on my annual trek down to the land of glass on Bullshoals lake.

I have three options since I know my brother in-law will not lend me his foil for 2 weekends.

1) Find a used skyski

2) purchase the hydroflite and upgrade to a better foil or sell and replace once I have learned on a basic foil with less agressive foil.

3) Try it later when money is not so tight.

$1000-$1500 I would not have hesitated spending a year ago. But right now due to economy and need to conserve as much as possible without getting out of boating is defer that expense until I am working full time again and am not dependent on disability coverage as part of my income.

I can still ski but on my less agressive Obrien widebody and defer expenses related to buying other equipment.

Comment

Definitely don't go with #2. I was told his has a shorter tower also...

Contact Lonnie at http://www.cinchmax.com He might have used ski coming in on a trade in over the next couple of weeks. That would be your best bet.

Comment

Thanks. Your input is valuable and I won't go down path #2 and open that door. I suspect you have ridden a foil for years and that you have seen the entry level product so I will re-think my options and figure out what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetrey View Post
                              Hey guys,
                              I have one of the early models of air chair, bought it new for $550 I think. cant remember the year its been so long, you probably remember the one with the purple bottom and hot pink and yellow squigles down the top. still ride it, it sounds like a lot of changes have been made, anything I can do to improve mine? or should I sell it to a newbie and upgrade?
                              There are some things you can do...

Replace foot straps with Cinch straps (assuming it has the black rubber straps)
                              Replace belt with Cinch belt (assuming you have a dive belt type buckle)
                              Remove black power coating and polish
                              Cut out for tailbone on back of seat

You would be amazed at how much the equipment has progressed since then. If you have the money, then upgrade if not do what you are comfortable with.

Comment

Working...
                              X