No announcement yet.

What 02 sensor for 3256 Code: Raptor 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the 02 sensor tool? Just a socket with a slit in it for the pig tail? Can't get a wrench on it?

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
      What is the 02 sensor tool? Just a socket with a slit in it for the pig tail? Can't get a wrench on it?
      Yes and yes. 7/8 socket with a big cutout. You can actually get the post cats with a 7/8 wrench as well. The flanks on the pre cat are down inside a little recess on the manifold so socket it a must to remove them.

Nice work cdomby. Glad you are back in business.

Comment

Hate to bring this back up. I replaced the 3256 sensor. It has been good for 3 long outings. Today, codes kept coming in. I'm getting 5 codes! I'm getting 3261, 3264, 3227, 3256 (same as before) and 3266. Engine temp was 100-150. This is weird. The cat bricks were okay when I checked them before. I ran the boat at 4,000 rpms for about 10 mins. after the codes came up and I'm concerned. Thought it might be carbon buildup, but now I'm regretting it.

Based on research
        3256 and 3266: Down stream(post cat) 02 sensors on port and stbd sides
        3227: One of the upstream 02 sensors
        3261: Precat heater open or shorted. Don't know what this means
        3264: Pump cell slow to warm up. Don't know what this means either

Water in fuel? I haven’t changed the engine water fuel filter in 100 hrs. Any ideas?
        Last edited by cdomby; 09-21-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Get the o2 socket out and pull the pre cat 02s after running for a bit and look for water down in the exhhaust manifold where the cat pipe joins with the Vband clamp. If you see water thats the culprit and you most likely have misaligned gasket issue.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check it out when I get to the boat.

Is it okay to run like this until I can get it fixed? When you say alignment issue, do you mean the alignment at the Y with the rubber boots or at the manifold?
            Last edited by cdomby; 09-21-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

You are okay to run, you just arent meeting emissions, but I have yet to meet anyone thats had their boat tested for emissions

The rubber gaskets have to be aligned correctly and if not they can cause water reversion. Also though, you have the early version cat pipes that have a completely flat flange where is meets up with the exhaust manifold. Theres an aluminum gasket at that junction that has to be lined up properly and Im guessing they arent. The later versions(17ish and up) have a lip on the cat pipes that help keep the gasket aligned during install. IF you go down the rabbit hole Ive got a neat little trick to keep the gasket in place while you install it. Painters tape around the whole outer ring to keep it centered along with HiTack gasket sealant on the aluminum gasket.

Seeing if theres water below the precat 02s is definitely first step.

Comment

Checked out both precat sensors. It wasn’t really wet in the manifold but there was some minor condensation. On the starbord side, there is rust around the outside that I assume is unrelated to water in the manifold.

The sensors had the blue sleeve and look pretty toasted. Could it just be the sensors are toast and need to be replaced? Odd that all of them would go at once and it’s throwing a code for the post cat I just replaced.99BBF809-B0BF-4FC1-8977-B141645E3A90.jpg
                Last edited by cdomby; 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Seems like with the codes you are getting that you would have some of the water issue, but it seems like you're also not finding any water so just change the 02s and see if the code stay away.

Comment

Thanks. I'm taking the boat in to my mechanic for winterization next week. Can he find our more by hooking to the diagnostic/ computer? I'm also going to ask him to check the alignment. He's not a Tige dealer, but is really good and works on wake boats.

Comment

Originally posted by cdomby View Post
                      Thanks. I'm taking the boat in to my mechanic for winterization next week. Can he find our more by hooking to the diagnostic/ computer? I'm also going to ask him to check the alignment. He's not a Tige dealer, but is really good and works on wake boats.
                      Not really. Its going to show the same basic code that you see on the touch screen.

Always inspect the catalyst brick when you pull faulty post sensors.
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                      X