No announcement yet.

V-drive noise in R20 and FAE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only hear the gear whine in the water, in gear. (I've never tried on the trailer.)

I have no solution. My dealer noticed something else not quite right with my transmission/v-drive and replaced it under warranty, but the new one actually sounded worse initially. I think it has broken in a little since it doesn't seem so bad now, but it's definitely still there.

I just heard a video taken on a Z1 and it sounds identical.

The type of fluid may make a difference but I haven't seen a bulletin on it.

I think I'll get some engine compartment sound proofing (stick on foam) to try to quiet things down.

Severin

Comment

I know it said ATF on the vdrive, but I wonder if it would hurt to try a thicker gear oil. Not sure if I want to try this unless its ok'd from Tige or ZF.

Comment

Has anyone with a noisy v-drive tried other oils in it?
        Chevron MD-3?
        Mobil Delvac 50?
        Petro-Canada Dexron-VI?
        Mobil 1 ATF?
        Castrol Transynd?

Did it help? Did the transmission last?

Comment

I thought my new Z had it, until I realized my whine was actually an intake whistle that sounded consistent with a gear whine. So sir, Intake for me
          Germaine Marine
          "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Ok, after a lot of reading (especially MC forums!?), I decided to try a few things with my v-drive:
            1. Good quality ATF -- no difference
            2. Good quality 10W40 -- much better, at least a third less gear whine!

ATF is approx the same viscosity as 5W20 motor oil, so by using thicker motor oil (12.5 cSt vs 5.6 cSt), things are significantly quieter. I could live with this improvement, but why stop experimenting now?

Next thing I want to try is good quality gear oil (ie, for differentials and manual transmissions). My reading suggests that Red Line 75W90 (or 110 or 140) should quiet things down even more. Anybody tried this already?

(75W90 is 16.1 cSt... Just a little thicker than my motor oil.)

My theory is that my v-drive is little more than a couple of gears, very similar to a differential, so this should be ideal. Thoughts?

Severin B.

Comment

What model does your v-drive tag have on it?

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                What model does your v-drive tag have on it?
                ZF 41 IV
                (2014 R20)

Comment

Originally posted by GzeroX5 View Post
                  Mine is a Hurth (ZF 45 IV I believe). There are some other threads here that talk about 30W vs ATF and that Tige confirmed it. I emailed Tige (trust but verify) and got a response confirming for mine they switched to 30W. We'll see how much quieter it is. I also just ordered an FAE, so all the more reason to go in that direction.
                  I'm working through my ZF45 noise issues as well on my 08 RZ4. Did Tige say to change to 30W in both the trans and the Vdrive? Ive gone to a synthetic 30W (Royal Purple) in the vdrive and Amsoil ATF in the trans with not really any change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufzgtp39v1...81%29.pdf?dl=0

ZF 45iv exploded view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X