Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-drive noise in R20 and FAE

Hello,

My 2014 R20 makes a lot of gear whine in forward (compared to a Nautique 196 and Malibu 21VLX that I've spent lots of time driving). I'm now up to 38 hours on the R20 and I don't think the noise or volume has changed during that time.

1. Does anyone (everyone?) else's R20, or other 2014 Tige, also make a lot gear whine?

2. If you answered yes, have you also installed an FAE and does it make an improvement in the overall engine/drive noise, or is the gear whine still the main noise in the boat?

I also noticed after the last wakeboarding session that my v-drive is pretty warm. I assume that's normal?

Cheers,
    Severin B.

Im not sure what you mean by, a lot of gear wine. Our 2014 that came from the factory at exactly the same time as yours, has some gear whine but not that much, but compared to other boats I've been on it seems like a lot. a video or recording of the sound would be helpful to compare.

Comment

Well, quite noticeable (unlike like my comparison boats). I hope to be out again within a week so I'll gopro it.

Thx.

Comment

Did you check the fluid level?

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
          Did you check the fluid level?
          Yes, I pull the dipstick every day as part of my pre-flight checks. It's between the 2nd and 3rd mark. (Every time I pull the dipstick, there's a slight vacuum in the v-drive that gets equalized. Normal?)

About 20 hours ago I changed the ATF (also in trans) as part of Tige's 20 hour service, but this made no difference in drive noise.

If this drive noise is normal, so be it, but I might look into noise insulation. Is the warmth also normal? I checked it about 10 minutes after the last wakeboard run.

The other noise is intake (sucking/whistling), exhaust (aggressive roar) and wind. I'd love to clearly hear the water against the hull as others have reported (when using an FAE).

Let me know your feedback. Thanks!

Severin B.
          Last edited by PaceWithGrace; 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM. Reason: more detail

Comment

Even with FAE my boat isn't absolutely silent. I still get some engine noise as well. The intake noise and moving parts of a motor will cause noise....you'll never get away from that. What I don't get anymore is the loud throaty noise (although I do love the sound of a tourny boat) from my exhaust when running. I think you may have misunderstood what the results would be. Either way it's still a lot quieter than without it.

Comment

Thanks, BC, that's exactly the kind of feedback I wanted Do you have a video with sound? Do you have a photo of the installation? Would you install an FAE again?

My v-drive noise/warmth still has me concerned. I'll take a video with sound for you guys to listen to, and I'll pay closer attention to temperature next time I'm out (soon I hope!).

SB

Comment

I had FAE on my old MB and I just put it on my 22VE this last spring. I forgot how nice it is to have and how much of a difference it makes. Honestly, I wouldn't own a boat without it unless all I did was wakeboard. To me, with surfing it's a must have. At surf speeds we used to have to keep the walk way window and shield open to push the air through otherwise the billowing back from the exhaust fumes was horrible.

In all of my video`s you can`t even here the engine running and I don`t have any video taken from the ski pylon location to give you an idea.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice you have a 22ve. I'm hoping for actual experience on a R20.

PS Your install looks nice and clean!

Comment

OK, here's a video I just took. You can hear the gear whine at different speeds. The boat is a 2014 R20 with the Indmar 335 motor.

The ATF in both v-drive and transmission is at the 2nd (top) mark on the dipsticks. I changed all the oils at 20h and I'm now at 40h. It has always done this.

Is this a normal amount of gear whine?

Thanks,
                    Severin B.

https://youtu.be/RNqGdvv-OOI

Comment

My engine has never ever sounded like that but i have a 2012 343 pcm. If it sounded like that I would be freaked out.

Comment

I read that sometimes a noise like that can come from a clogged tranny filter. The filter is a screen located underneath inside the tranny and can be removed and cleaned by removing the two bolts on the plate and then remove the rubber seal behind the plate to remove the screen. Remove the screen to clean and replace in reverse. I've also read a noise like that can come from a misalignment.

Comment

I wonder if it's not a trans/v-drive noise? Alternator maybe?

I'll grab a length of hose and listen at different spots next time I'm out.

Severin B.

Comment

Does it do it out of gear too? If so then it's probably not the tranny or v-drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Av8tor View Post
                              Does it do it out of gear too? If so then it's probably not the tranny or v-drive.
                              I don't know. I haven't revved up out of gear in a long time

I'll try that next time out.

Comment

Working...
                              X