Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick ? For all you owners changed your starter how to get leverage to break the bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed

Comment

What impact driver. Everyone usin .

Comment

I have a Kobalt one that was given to me for Christmas by my best friend. But every brand of tools makes one. Go to the hardware store and pick the brand you prefer.

Comment

I'm going to. But I see they have 18 volt or 20 volt

Comment

Anyway I can't get a impact driver in there hits bottom before getting the bolt. I'm out of option . Just bought a impact driver dewalt I'm using. A air socket wrench last option

Comment

can you not get a socket with a cheater pipe on the ratchet handle???? what hits bottom???

Comment

I can promise you a boat dealer would be able to remove and replace that starter without pulling the engine. There is a way.

Comment

Do u think it would be alright to heat up the side of the block where the bolt is to break it loose. Impact is not eve . Breaking it.IMG_20150723_203836_650.jpgIMG_20150723_203836_650.jpg
                  Last edited by Knowledge101; 07-24-2015, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Moving the wires of course. But want to get some suggestions before try it don't want to blow it up or catch it up in flames I'm just nervous

Comment

I would guess that to get enough heat into it to make a difference you will damage something somewhere.....

I guess it's back to the socket set then if you can't get an impact driver in there. Your going to have to work it loose . It's not easy to know how much it will take to shear a bolt so I guess you need to decide whether to risk it or take it to a dealer and make it their problem. That said if they shear it then they probably won't be held financially responsible for dealing with the issue anyway.

I've sheared m6 bolts flush in a outboard aluminium block and ended up welding onto the remains and getting it out that way. Not fun....

Time to decide how much you trust your skills. A mechanic might decide that without a different approach the bolt will shear. Potentially flush or worse inside the block.

With limited access it's going to be difficult to use certain techniques such as drilling a small hole towards the thread to get penetrating oil in there.

Another is to grind the heads off, remove the starter and get some oil in there then weld a nut back on the stud.

The localised heat from welding makes a big difference.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought some CRC knock loose for frozen bolts and couple adjustable ratchets and wrenches let that **** sit on for 30 min. Put some force on it broke loose right away that's stuff is amazing. But starter is off finally it also will eat paint right off. Got it off matco tools when the truck came in today at our sho . But thank . For everyone's. Help

Comment

Does anybody know what kind of sealant used on the exhaust hoses when took them off had some kind of sealant so they won't leak

Comment

Working...
                          X