2011 Tige RZ2 - Fogging Engine Req'd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Tige RZ2 - Fogging Engine Req'd?

My engine is a PCM Catanium CES EX343. I used to have an Indmar TBI engine, and engine manual said to fog. PCM engine manual does not mention it. Is it required for winterization? If so, I assume I'll do it through the air intake?

Also, if anyone can give some quick instructions about pulling spark plugs and fogging, it would be appreciated. I've read that this should be done, but more detailed steps would help.

On my last run of the season I put Stabil with fog treatment in my fuel tank. Can't get easier than that. If you're already done you could pore it in, wait awhile for it to mix, then run the engine for a few minutes.

On a side note, can someone explain the theory behind fogging? Why do some boat engines require it when going into storage, but I've never heard of a car engine require it when going into storage, at least for such a short time piriod of 4-6 months. Do you fog all your lawn care tools too?

Comment

I'll look for that stabil with fogging. Fogging is a measure to prevent corrosion.

Comment

I fogged my old indmar ext340 in the supra and have fogged my ex343 in the tige since new. not sure if it's really needed or not but figure it's cheap insurance.

I don't ever fog my kawi sportbike nor the genesis coupe engine and they are not driven/ridden for the same time however I do start them monthly and move them to keep the tires from flatspotting. boat is gone and no access until April 12 so couldn't start it if I wanted to.
        never fogged yard tools as I guess the cost to purchase in my eyes isn't as big as a replacement boat engine.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
          I fogged my old indmar ext340 in the supra and have fogged my ex343 in the tige since new. not sure if it's really needed or not but figure it's cheap insurance.

I don't ever fog my kawi sportbike nor the genesis coupe engine and they are not driven/ridden for the same time however I do start them monthly and move them to keep the tires from flatspotting. boat is gone and no access until April 12 so couldn't start it if I wanted to.
          never fogged yard tools as I guess the cost to purchase in my eyes isn't as big as a replacement boat engine.
          You are just fogging at the air intake (under flame arrestor), right? Do you fog at spark plugs, too? I never did that in my previous Indmar. Some folks recommended it, but it wasn't mentioned in the engine manual.

Comment

I have the exact same engine as the TLP (EX343 Catanium). The PCM manual I have for that year says once everything else is done, remove the plugs, introduce fogging oil in each cylinder, hand crank a few turns, then replace plugs.

It's better NOT to fog a fuel injected engine through the air intake, as you can foul the various sensors in the airstream. Isn't an issue for carbed engines but technology marches on.

Comment

I fog each cylinder. directions iirc on the ext340 were to NEVER fog an efi machine at the intake so I follow this on the ex343 although I never looked it up.

not sure I understand how fogging agent in fuel would do anything as the injectors squirt in the mixture, the spark burns it all so what remains to protect/coat the block? and if there is something remaining, sounds like it would be there all the time. I like sta-bil products but that's one I think I would stay away from as it sounds like marketing hype.
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

That may be true, but I'm still not even sold on the whole idea of fogging to begins with. Does Tige fog each engine as the boat come off the line? Maybe but I doubt it. I'm guessing most boats get put right into service so it wouldn't be needed. Lots of boats sit in the showroom for months and months on end without being ran. Do they get fogged?
                If there is a concern for corrosion, where does that come from?

Comment

just like storing a tank full or empty, fogging or not, storing tires on concrete or not, storing with rv antifreeze or drain the block..
                  I view this as up to each individual.

I choose to fog. others might not. in the end, will it make a difference either way? who knows. do what you feel comfortable with.

betting if you troll around on the internet, you can find many websites/studies that show you should fog and equal numbers that dispel the need to.
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                    Does Tige fog each engine as the boat come off the line? Maybe but I doubt it. I'm guessing most boats get put right into service so it wouldn't be needed. Lots of boats sit in the showroom for months and months on end without being ran. Do they get fogged?
                    No, but that's considered a dealer problem to handle, not a factory problem. As you note, many boat engines go right into service so it would be a waste for the factory to winterize every engine. Others go straight onto the showroom floor, presumably a climate controlled environment without the temperature swings that cause condensation inside engines and fuel tanks. Others sit outside in their shrink wrap for months and months, waiting for a customer to express interest, exposed to everything Mother Nature can throw at them. No way the factory knows which is which, so the dealer gets to handle it.

New boats arrive with a tag on the engine which specifically warns that the engine "may or may not" have been winterized, had its cooling system drained, etc. That tag isn't there by accident!

Comment

This: It's better NOT to fog a fuel injected engine through the air intake, as you can foul the various sensors in the airstream
                      -definitely do through each cylinder. I'm on the fence as to whether I really need to do this as well but I run RV antifreeze because of the cheap insurance so I'll probably pull the spark plugs as well.

Comment

From the 2017 Indmar Manual:
                        Indmar does not recommend applying fogging oil while
                        the engine is running. The fogging oil could damage the catalytic converter. The cylinders must be
                        protected by removing the spark plugs and applying the fogging oil directly into the cylinders.
                        3. After all the cylinders have been treated, crank the
                        engine to spread the lubricant on the cylinder walls. Replace the spark plugs in the engine.
                        4. Perform annual maintenance; refer to Section 7, Scheduled Maintenance Chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Z3 LKG View Post
                          Indmar does not recommend applying fogging oil while the engine is running. The fogging oil could damage the catalytic converter.
                          Interesting. I wonder how they think the fogging oil is going to get OUT of the cylinders the next time the engine is started, if not through the catalytic converter?

Comment

Id, I have wondered this same thing and the only conclusion I came up with is that if applying while running, the fogging oil will combust and exit immediately fouling the cats. by spraying on a dormant engine, it coats and over the course of the lay-up period, any excess in the cylinder will leak down into the oil pan. once engine is started in the spring, the residue left isn't enough to film the converters.

all said unscientifically
                            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Wouldn't that expectation depend on having leaky piston rings? Ideally, anything in the combustion chamber should not "leak down into the oil pan" just as the oil under the rings should not pass upwards into the combustion chamber. Otherwise, the cylinder would have poor compression and fail a leakdown test, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X