No announcement yet.

Winter Storage Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wash mine out completely on the interior/exterior, power polish and wax all the gel coat inside and out, clean and treat the vinyl, have the dealer run antifreeze through the block, shower, heater and the ballast systems and then drain, place desiccant bags around the electronics (dash and amps) and throughout especially low spots, stabilize the fuel, wax the exterior including underneath and (yes) polish all the metal pieces including intakes and prop/rudder then clear coat them, finally after it is better than factory which is a two day project I have it shrink wrapped overtop the tower to protect the speakers as well. I too am in the Calgary area (Invermere) and have the boat stored outdoors but overhead cover. I really believe the extra work is worth how it looks in the spring when I open the wrapper!!! Happy thoughts until spring......come on spring!!!!!!

Comment

forgot to add....the batteries go in the basement on a piece of plywood. Good luck

Comment

Where do you get the shrink wrap done? Does it come out nice and dry?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
          What is supposed to be stored in this funny compartment under the seat?
          On my Z3, that's the access door to the transmission

Comment

As much as I'd like to store the car indoors (or in Australia), I'd like to keep it on site at my house. Partly for my own piece of mind, and partly to keep costs down. Every dollar I save in storage and maintenance can go into surf boards, upgrades and fuel. My collector car already has the prime heated garage spot, and my wife's car gets the other heated spot. My other toys are stuck sitting outside. This is what happens when you exceed your boat purchase budget by $15k

I was looking at a couple different options for covering it up. Please comment if you've tried either of these:

Or conversely I could just get a really big cover and fold down the tower underneath. This wouldn't work for towing or anything, but I think it would remove a lot of the seams around the tower etc where water and bugs get in. Seems more sensible to me, plus it makes the top pointy for less snow accumulation.

Comment

Originally posted by LKG PH Creek View Post
              On my Z3, that's the access door to the transmission
              There is one like this at the back for the transmission, however this door is right under the driver's seat. Maybe this is where the whiskey goes.
              Last edited by JohnnieMo; 10-22-2013, 01:19 AM.

Comment

My boat came with a winter cover from Fisher Canvas http://www.fishercanvas.com/
                For a 16 yr old cover its held up great. Its a very heavy cover that would handle snow easy, especially with the 2x4 supports. Not a cover you want to take off and on every day though only a winter style cover.

IMG_1829.jpg

Course I put on a tower this spring so it doesnt fit the same but my boat sits under a lean too. Still fits decent with tower folded down

IMG_2734.jpg

Id like to have them make one that will go over the tower standing up.

Comment

I get mine done at Pete's Marina in Invermere. It is sized for the boat and then heat set. It has vents in it at the high point and a zippered opening incase you need to get in side. In the spring, I cut it very carefully and can reuse it for years to come with some tape to reseal the cut point.

Comment

Originally posted by DRJones View Post
                    I get mine done at Pete's Marina in Invermere. It is sized for the boat and then heat set. It has vents in it at the high point and a zippered opening incase you need to get in side. In the spring, I cut it very carefully and can reuse it for years to come with some tape to reseal the cut point.
                    I believe this is the same product Tige uses as a shipping cover. Looks something like this:

The dealer has some of these kicking around so I'll see if they can be re-used. If not, I'll find something else. Those Fisher Price Covers.... err Fisher Cover Products look pretty nice actually

Comment

John or Dan at Hyperactive are super helpful. Also Jeff at their AWS service shop is really good. They will set you up properly. If not call Pete's Marina in Invermere and ask where he gets his covers from because they are really good. Best of luck.....you can see my Tige in the Pictures and Videos Forum under..."My 2012 R20 after some winter time work" Cheers........

Comment

I've hummed and hawwed on this for a week. I think I'm going to get a custom cover done up that allows the tower to stay upright. I can rig up some ropes from the hull up to the alpha z to create supports. This way the snow is easy to sweep off and it is strong. I found a nice local shop that can build one for me. It will be costly but still far cheaper than paying for storage year after year.... and maybe I'll add a door so that on those nice days I can still climb inside and enjoy that whiskey. :P

One day I'll wise up and move to Arizona....

Comment

I have heard good things about this cover from costco. http://www.costco.com/Navigloo-All-i...100070336.html

Comment

Originally posted by CDAWaves View Post
                            I have heard good things about this cover from costco. http://www.costco.com/Navigloo-All-i...100070336.html
                            Thanks. That is hideous, but would likely get the job done.

Comment

After being vetoed yet again I went the welfare route. New tarp for $50. I left the tower up to create a good slope. Slathered it up with Teflon spray. So far (even before the teflon) the snow just slides off. I think this just may work. Keep It Simple Stupid.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by JohnnieMo; 11-10-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X