Winter Storage Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Storage Questions

This is my first winter with the boat and I'm prepping it for hibernation. The boat has already gone through its mechanical winterization at the dealership so no worries there.

The boat will be sitting outside this winter (in Calgary) so it will be subjected to wind, snow, rain, and temperature swings. I toyed with the idea of indoor storage or even getting one of those fabric sheds but a variety of reasons (okay she was the only reason) that won't be happening.

I'd like to know what I should do to keep the boat in tip top shape through the winter. Here is what I have planned so far:

1. Remove the tower speakers and put those indoors
    2. Wrap the boat in plastic wrap where the cover touches the hull. Ie. Just below the rub rail.
    3. Put some jack stands near the rear axle to take some weight off the tires (prevent flat spotting)
    4. Cover the whole thing in a shipping cover (the dealer has some kicking around)
    5. Remove and stow the bimini.

A couple questions :
    Should I remove the batteries? Hook up a trickle charger?
    Should I treat the vinyl beforehand? (boat is new so it may not need it)
    Should I remove the platform/vx?
    Does the ballast system need anything? Does it get 'winterized' at the dealer?

Anything I've missed?

This is what I do above and beyond what the dealer does and it is in a dry cold storage in northern WI. Which I know is not Calgary but we get numerous days around minus 30 F -
    I remove all seats and cushions, clean and protect and keep them in the heated basement.
    Blow water out of ballast tubes and pipes
    Remove fat sacks and drain
    Put dryer sheets in all compartments
    Keep all compartments open with a small piece of wood to allow air flow
    Take batteries out and keep in basement
    Take any carpet out

Then in December I throw on some warm clothing and enjoy a few brews in the boat.
    "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

Move you and your boat to Australia. We don't winterize coz we don't need to.
      Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

Comment

First problem.... how do you detach the Rev10's?

( btw I now get the joke about the stellar speaker collars on the alpha z)

Comment

Hide a pint of your favorite whiskey under one of the seats and write your future self a note for a nice surprise in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
            First problem.... how do you detach the Rev10's?

( btw I now get the joke about the stellar speaker collars on the alpha z)
            If they are factory installed, they do not detach. To remove them, you have have to remove the grill, then the speaker driver in order to access the mounting bolts.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I wonder if it is worth it....

Comment

Not of you have the Suits.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Over inflating the tires will also help prevent flat spots while sitting.
                  If the cover is not breathable, make sure its completely dry or you will not be happy come spring. If the cover leaks any........
                  If the batteries stay charged, they will survive the winter if left in the boat. If you do not have a smart charger that you can leave plugged in, then removing them sounds like the best option for you. If you do remove them, zip-tie all the cables together as you take them off each battery post. You can tag them is you want, but the spring time is full of "I just put my batteries back in and now______________doesnt work" threads. It usually ends up being a rogue cable.
                  The vinyl should be cleaned and dressed after each use, and boat should be cleaned before its winter sleep IMO
                  I see no need to remove the platform and VX, unless its needed to fit in its parking spot
                  Yes, the ballast needs winterizing, along with the heater and shower if applicable. Check with dealer on what was done.
                  Make sure that cover has a nice support system since it will see snow weight.

Comment

Well it's mostly done now. I just left the speakers on the tower and wrapped them up with bags. I don't have "suits". Whatever those are... I also pulled off the bimini and put it in the shed. I pulled out the whole front seating surface. I was surprised it was flat underneath. That whole bow was full of manufacturing left overs. Tigé could have run a vacuum through there.

In the back I opened all all the compartments. And left them ajar a bit. I did remove both batteries too. That wasn't exactly an easy job for a man of my size. My son fit far better down there.

IMG_00001478_edit.jpg

I fabricated a snow support running from the windshield to the walk way in the rear. It should work. I also removed the carpet. Even with just a mild rain last week I was surprised how wet everything was. Under the carpet and the bottom of each cushion was damp. This was with the factory cover.

Besides that I just took the time to disassemble everything to see how it worked. I thought the ballast system was rather ingenious. I managed to find the subwoofer control..... really???

I have no idea how anyone could fit an enclosed subwoofer down there. That is tight! But very well put together. This is a quality product no matter what anyone says.

I still need to pull the shipping cover on top of the normal cover. Not sure if I need both. I may just try it and see. Its clear that water will get inside the boat no matter what I do, so its best to plan for it and keep air moving.

One last question, do these boats have a drain plug in them like my old runabout? If so I want to make sure it is removed. I may also jack up the front end nice and high for drainage. Right now the boat is higher in the back.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Whiskey! I almost forgot......
                    Last edited by JohnnieMo; 10-21-2013, 02:53 AM.

Comment

What is supposed to be stored in this funny compartment under the seat?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by JohnnieMo; 10-21-2013, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Yes pull the plug. I have heard horror stories of the plug not removed and rain water and snow melt filled the boat.

Tiges only have one plug. Should be above the TAPS plate.
                        "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

shrink wrap it, Fuel stabilize it, and dream of spring man.

Comment

I usually get a bunch of Damp-Rid dessicant and put in various places. It really helps to pull the moisture out of the boat if it is under cover.

Comment

Store it inside!!!! Thats what I would do but I dont have to winterize in Florida.

Comment

Working...
                              X