No announcement yet.

Brown stains at the waterline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paxton- Glad to see you found something to work out. I actually used the Star Brite (earlier in the post) this past weekend for the same problem. No buffing required. Worked great. Now I'm trying to find a good wax. The 3M I had was for heavy oxidation and seemed to be too much grit as I don't have a lot of oxidation on my boat. What 3M did you use as the final coat? Guessing you had to take it off by hand since the random orbital didn't work? Good to see some other Texans on here too!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
      Paxton- Glad to see you found something to work out. I actually used the Star Brite (earlier in the post) this past weekend for the same problem. No buffing required. Worked great. Now I'm trying to find a good wax. The 3M I had was for heavy oxidation and seemed to be too much grit as I don't have a lot of oxidation on my boat. What 3M did you use as the final coat? Guessing you had to take it off by hand since the random orbital didn't work? Good to see some other Texans on here too!
      I can tell you this works and has worked for everyone else that I have suggested it too.
      http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...n-p-69805.html

I paid to have my used Tige wet-sanded when I first bought it - within two weeks the brown waterline stains were back. I then learned that a $1.25 bottle of toilet bowl cleaner would remove the stains just by wiping it on with a wet cloth - do not spray and get it all over your trailer or bunks. Then rinse off the hull and apply the Star-brite polish in spring and fall - nothing will stick that won't wipe off. If you miss a spot the stain will show up and just treat that area.

I also used Babes Boat Brite during the season and never once had to remove any stains again for the next two seasons. Hope this helps, because I know the feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
        I used 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax. It comes in a metal can and when you open it you will think that it has dried out. Just rub it with an aplicator and start putting it on the side of the boat. When you apply it, the wax will look "thin" on the side of the boat, but this wax is pretty thick. When I took it off the black gelcoat on my boat looked like a mirror!

Comment

Muriatic Acid

If you need a cheap and fast solution here you go. 1/2 Muriatic acid and 1/2 Water will dissolve any brown stains immediately if you don't like scrubbing. Just be careful as this stuff will eat your skin off. Rubber gloves, Goggles, and garden hose right by your side. I would recommend doing it over a surface like gravel because it will eat the concrete if it sits for a few minutes; I've heard baking soda neutralizes the acid.

Comment

I wish I could remember the name of it but I run on some of the rivers here in Texas and occasionally leave the boat in overnight. It never fails that when I pull the boat there are hull stains. (I always keep the hull waxed too and also spray it down with pledge after getting off the water) Anyway there is a product but I can't remember its name that I have...it is a mild acid and is AMAZING with the river stains. I bought mine from the local marina so it is made for boat hulls. You put on the rubber gloves and just use a damp sponge with a little bit of this on it and the stains are literally gone with two swipes of the sponge. I use a kitchen mop to do mine. Let me ask a friend of mine today and I will get the name.

Anybody else use this?? I have done this for two years and it keeps my old boat looking fantastic without all of the extra buffing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kartz View Post
              If you need a cheap and fast solution here you go. 1/2 Muriatic acid and 1/2 Water will dissolve any brown stains immediately if you don't like scrubbing. Just be careful as this stuff will eat your skin off. Rubber gloves, Goggles, and garden hose right by your side. I would recommend doing it over a surface like gravel because it will eat the concrete if it sits for a few minutes; I've heard baking soda neutralizes the acid.
              I just remembered the name of the stuff I was talking about..Kartz has the same idea. It's called FSR and the active ingredient is muriatic acid. I buy mine from Eagle Marine in Fort Worth. It is really amazing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Breakdown View Post
                I just remembered the name of the stuff I was talking about..Kartz has the same idea. It's called FSR and the active ingredient is muriatic acid. I buy mine from Eagle Marine in Fort Worth. It is really amazing stuff.
                After the acid wash use this polish and you will not get the river stains - put on one application, do another at the water line in a couple weeks and you should be good for the season. I'm telling you I've boated on a river fed lake all my life and this is the only polish I have found that prevents hull stains. I just hope they don't stop making it anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by thtrog View Post
                  After the acid wash use this polish and you will not get the river stains - put on one application, do another at the water line in a couple weeks and you should be good for the season. I'm telling you I've boated on a river fed lake all my life and this is the only polish I have found that prevents hull stains. I just hope they don't stop making it anytime soon.

How often do you have to re-apply the polish? I will try anything to have to stop using the acid cleaner. It works well but a pain to re-do 4 times a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Breakdown View Post
                    How often do you have to re-apply the polish? I will try anything to have to stop using the acid cleaner. It works well but a pain to re-do 4 times a season.
                    The first season I put on two coatings pretty close together and then when I winterized it. I then just did a quick job along the water line the next spring. If you have the results I did it will be a breeze because everything is clean. I also wipe my boat down after every use with a damp towel or some Babe's Boat Bright. I hope this helps and works for you too.

Comment

Cool, looking for a new trick this year. I will try it...

Comment

Working...
                      X