Brown stains at the waterline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown stains at the waterline

I have noticed that my Tige is getting brown stains on the white portion of the hull below the water line. These stains are only on the side of the hull, heavier on the port side, and not found on the bottom of the hull. I am thinking that they may be some type of chemical that is floating on the surface of the water (like an insecticide or something).

Has anyone else experienced this, and how do you clean it off. I have tried wax, buffing compound, tar and road oil remover, and simple green. None of these will get rid of the brown.

Needing help, and appreciative of all ideas,
    Rodg

Try Star Brite hull cleaner that has always taken hulls stains off for me.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will definately give it a try.

Comment

cleaner

We use slimygrimy at the shop with a pressure washer. It is the best stuff we have used.
        Karen

Comment

I had the same type of stains on my old baot. they would not come off with anything. I tried buffing, any and every chemical, its like rpaxton said it is embedded in the gel coat finish and nothing seems to take it out.

Comment

try West Marine's "Heavy Duty Fiberglass Color Restorer"

Comment

Tried it it would not come out.

Comment

You may need to wet sand to get it out. Once you have sanded then you will ned to bring the shine back with a buffer and some compound. I know this will work you could use 1000 then work your way to 1500 before the buffing. Give me a call if there are any further questions, we'll get it taken care of.
                Andrew

Comment

Just thought I'd say that the best way to avoid the satins is to towl the boat down after you take it from the water (assuming you trailer your boat). I make sure that there is a good layer of wax on the hull and wiep dry the boat after each sesson, only takes a minute, that way she stays looking new.

Comment

BlondeJosh

Now that I know that this is a problem I actually rinse the hull and dry it after each use. But the problem is that I now have brown stains that wont come off.

Comment

I run the Mississippi here in St Charles Mo. I got that stain two times last year. I wipe the baot inside and out every time it hits the water and befor I drive home. The best stuff I found is EZ-ON EZ-OFF . I use a medium brush, hose it off, dry and you may wont to add a freash coat of wax.

Comment

rpaxton
                        Just thought that after you manage to get rid of the stains that I'd try to help avoid having to go through the stain issue repeatedly

Comment

No problem there Josh! I appreciate all the input as I am new to owning a boat like this. I grew up on sailboats and got a wild hair last summer to try wakeboarding. I love it, though I am still trying to get the wake a bit more rampy.

Comment

I used a variable speed buffer with a gel-coat cleaner (whose name I cannot remember for the life of me) followed by a coat of wax. Basicly you have to heat the gel-coat up enough so it will let the cleaner in and reset. If that makes sense. It took about 4 hours, but came out in Boat Show shape. I'll post the name of the cleaner...I know they sell it at boaters world and most auto stores.
                            "You either go all the way or you don't."

Comment

I was reading some of my old posts, and came back across this one. This past year a friend recommended 3m perfect it 3000, which is a really good compound. I used a high speed buffer, and both the 3000 and another 3m product (marine restorer and wax) I found at a local store specifically for fiberglass hulls. It was pretty much a complete success. AFter compounding the chalk and water stains off of the side of the boat I used a 3m wax. This stuff was the BOMB! I tried to use a random orbaital buffer to take it off, but it was TOO thick. My boat looks showroom again (aside from a few bumps and bruises ) Now I am trying to figure out how to compound the area around the wheel wells. That will be a trick! Any ideas????

Rodg

Comment

Working...
                              X