Are all waxes the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all waxes the same?

Car wax and boat wax are not the same. The reason??? Marine gel coat is significantly harder and more porous than car paint. Marine waxes are designed with fine abrasives that clean the gel coat surface and pores from old waxes and other contaminants before leaving a fresh layer of protection. The cleaning action allows the fresh layer of wax to properly bond to the surface. A good marine wax will give your boat a great shine and more importantly last longer. This can help repel water, making water spotting less difficult to deal with, and reduce the rate at which oxidation occurs.
    It is recommended to use a marine wax that contains a healthy dose of polymers to provide the surface with a more durable protection against the elements.

My name is John Lakkis and I have worked for 3M and Meguiar's doing surface care for over 17 years. I own Hula Boat Care located in Austin Texas and have formulated a concise line of products to boat care products that focus on getting professional results with minimal effort. The lasting results of the products was one of the reasons that Billy Garcia a Team Tige Pro Athlete has been sponsored by and uses exclusively Hula Boat Care products on his Tige.

For more information feel free to visit www.hulaboatcare.com or check us out on Facebook.

Below are some pics of a Cobalt on Lake Austin that got cleaned with my Hang Ten Cleaner Wax

https://www.hulaboatcare.com/images/...A%20Before.JPG

https://www.hulaboatcare.com/images/...aner%20wax.JPG

https://www.hulaboatcare.com/images/...LA%20After.JPG

I am always around to answer boat care questions and look forward to some good conversations.
    What Rocks Your Boat?

Awesome! Send me your line of products and I'll test them and report back on results!
    Waiting for another good one!

Comment

I'd like to sample your product as well.

Comment

Samples

I would be happy to send you a couple of different products.
        Please email me at info@hulaboatcare.com the following:
        Your name, mailing address, and phone number, what type of boat and color, what condition the gel coat is in and how does the interior look, finally what products are you using now.

Look forward to your emails
        What Rocks Your Boat?

Comment

Originally posted by Hula Boat Care View Post
          I would be happy to send you a couple of different products.
          Please email me at info@hulaboatcare.com the following:
          Your name, mailing address, and phone number, what type of boat and color, what condition the gel coat is in and how does the interior look, finally what products are you using now.

Look forward to your emails
          I have 10 sets of free products.
          Let's just say first to ask, first to get some
          What Rocks Your Boat?

Comment

Email sent

Comment

Yes I would love to try some
              www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
              http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

I have 10 sets of free products.
                Let's just say first to ask, first to get some
                www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

email sent last night

Comment

Got a email back from John this morning and some Hula is on the way. I'll let you all know how it works. The next thing on my to do list is detail the Zee
                    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Thanks for all the emails...

Kits are being prepared for:

Sheldon S. - CA
                      Joseph F. - ID
                      John M. - Canada
                      Bryan Pearson - OK
                      Brett A. - PA
                      Brain W. - TX
                      Jeff M. - IN
                      Dave P. - CA
                      Toby K. - WY

Any before and after pictures are appreciated.
                      What Rocks Your Boat?

Comment

Sheldon S. - CA
                        Joseph F. - ID
                        John M. - Canada
                        Bryan Pearson - OK
                        Brett A. - PA
                        Brain W. - TX
                        Jeff M. - IN
                        Dave P. - CA
                        Toby K. - WY

The final kit goes to...

Cody B. - CO

By the way here are photos of Billy Garcia's Z3 and Al Lewin (hydrofoiling god) 2006 Tige. Both use my products

https://www.hulaboatcare.com/images/...ly%20G%202.JPG

https://www.hulaboatcare.com/images/...Al%20Boat.jpeg
                        What Rocks Your Boat?

Comment

Sheldon S. - CA
                          Joseph F. - ID
                          John M. - Canada
                          Bryan Pearson - OK
                          Brett A. - PA
                          Brain W. - TX
                          Jeff M. - IN
                          Dave P. - CA
                          Toby K. - WY

John,

Weclome to the site. My name is Michael and I own/operate Mikes Liquid Audio. I do custom marine audio, ballast and other accessories. Although I do not detail boats, I do have the need to clean them up after I have completed the work.

1) As a consumer, how do we know the "marine" wax we are grabbing off the shelf is formulated like you describe and not just a car wax with marine slapped on the label? Is there something is the label that will tell us ist the real deal?

2) Do you have a quick-detail type product and does this same principal apply to this type of product also?

If you have a quick-detail type product and an upholstery cleaner, I would love to give them a try.

Thanks,
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Awesome! Thanks John! I'll wait to get your product before I use anything else this year and take some before and after photos!

Hard to see a shiny gloss on white in photos, but I'll do my best!
                            Waiting for another good one!

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                              John,

Weclome to the site. My name is Michael and I own/operate Mikes Liquid Audio. I do custom marine audio, ballast and other accessories. Although I do not detail boats, I do have the need to clean them up after I have completed the work.

1) As a consumer, how do we know the "marine" wax we are grabbing off the shelf is formulated like you describe and not just a car wax with marine slapped on the label? Is there something is the label that will tell us ist the real deal?

2) Do you have a quick-detail type product and does this same principal apply to this type of product also?

If you have a quick-detail type product and an upholstery cleaner, I would love to give them a try.

Thanks,
                              Hi Mike, Thanks for the questions.

1.) The truth is it is hard to tell if what is on the shelf is a "true" marine grade wax. I would look on the label and see if the directions address gel coat or fiberglass. One definite way a user can tell is the longevity or durability they get once applied. An average life expectancy of marine wax with a boat sitting in fresh water is about 3-4 month depending on how the boat is maintained.

2.) I have a customer in Austin called Hydrotunes, they do marine audio installs, lighting etc. They have been using my Wipe Out Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner and Surf Away Spray Detailer for exteriors after they complete a job.

Surf Away contains polymers that will bond to the surface, enhance gloss and leave a water repleant finish without streak or smearing sindscreens, towers or speaker cans.

If you are interested in a sample email me at info@hulaboatcare.com and we can see what we can do for you.

Thanks
                              John Lakkis
                              What Rocks Your Boat?

Comment

Working...
                              X