No announcement yet.

Adding a 2nd Deep-Cycle Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just talked to my local Advance Auto Parts, they have pre made 4 gauge cables, with the terminals on the end. The 6 foot ones are $12, and the 3 foot ones are $8.

Is 4 gauge large enough?

They also were reccommending a Autocraft Marine Deep Cycle battery for $79. It was rated CCA 575 & Reserved Capacity 175 min. They told me, their battery beat Interstate in Consumer Reports test. (Probably sales BS).

I just looked at my current battery, it is an Intersatate Marine Starting battery, with 800 CCA. My current cable is around the size of a dime, which means it's probably 2 gauge (right)??

So, after typing this all in, and reading it, along with chpthrl's post. My guess is to find an Interstate Marine Deep Cycle battery, and order the 2 Gauge wire from Knuconceptz.

Comment

For dual batteries I have always used 2/0 just like the wire that came from Tigé for the starting battery.

Comment

2ga would be the minimum I would go. Remember, you may need to call on the battery to start the engine so you need to carry that load/current.

When shopping for a deep-cycle, choose it more for A/hr's over CCA's.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Don't forget the Perko battery switch.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I already picked up a Perko from West Marine. They wanted $7 a foot for the wire, so I didn't get it there.

Advance Auto Parts had clear 2 gauge wire for $1.88 a foot. If the stuff from Knuconceptz will work, can I assume this stuff will work too? I would like to test it this weekend, before my trip to Glendo, and if I wait for shipping, it will be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterski-Rebel View Post
              I already picked up a Perko from West Marine. They wanted $7 a foot for the wire, so I didn't get it there.

Advance Auto Parts had clear 2 gauge wire for $1.88 a foot. If the stuff from Knuconceptz will work, can I assume this stuff will work too? I would like to test it this weekend, before my trip to Glendo, and if I wait for shipping, it will be too late.
              I only have stock in Chicago
              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                This wire is just more flexible (smaller strands of wire) then actual battery cable. The most important thing is choosing the correct ga for the load.

Go with the Interstate as your 2nd house battery, it will start the engine if need be.
                So that is to say that this wire would be a.o.k?

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
                  So that is to say that this wire would be a.o.k?
                  Good to go
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Well, I went by the autostore today to get the wire, and they only had premade wire that was 5' long. I was going to put the battery right next to the other one with this wire, but would have rather put the batter on the starboard side of the boat. He called his distro, and she has some of their 2 AWG Battery wire. He ordered me 20 feet, and will have it in the morning. It is only $1.88 a foot too.

I also know I should probably go with an interstate battery, but think I am going to go with one of theirs. Per the Interstate website, the closest dealer is 30-40 minutes away. I am short on time this week. The battery is only $59, if it doesn't work out, I'll pick up an interstate.

Comment

Mike, What size wire is running between the isolator and the batteries?

Comment

Mike, What size wire is running between the isolator and the batteries?
                        2/0

Comment

Sorry, I am not too smart...

What is the difference between 2awg and 2/0?

Comment

2/0 is twice as fat.

Comment

Sorry, I am not too smart...

What is the difference between 2awg and 2/0?
                              2ga is 2 sizes smaller then 0ga, 2/0ga is 2 sizes larger then 0ga

Comment

Thanks! Ordered all that I need I think. Did have to switch out 2 lugs from 5/16 to 1/4 for the breaker. Hoping that the isolator does not also need 1/4...

Comment

Working...
                                X