Just bought a 2002 21v.....Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a 2002 21v.....Need advice

Just bought a 2002 21v riders edition from car auction. They say it was winterized and mechanic did everything to it. What is the process I need to do now to get it ready for the water? Any tips or secrets to get it to running at its best?

Originally posted by brook1724 View Post
    Just bought a 2002 21v riders edition from car auction. They say it was winterized and mechanic did everything to it. What is the process I need to do now to get it ready for the water? Any tips or secrets to get it to running at its best?
    I'd check the drain plugs in the engine, exhaust manifulds, water pump and possibly the fuel cooler. Yours is a little newer and the changed the number of plugs.

I'd ask them what they do to winterize the boat (the mechanic, that is). Normally, it's just a matter of draining the water out of the engine block and sometimes they fog the cylinders. My advice would be to get a fake-a-lake (looks like a plunger with a hose connector) so you can start it up with water running through the cooling system. If you do this, DO NOT PUT THE BOAT IN GEAR and don't rev the engine up over 2000 RPMS. You can then inspect the cooling system for leaks.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
      I'd check the drain plugs in the engine, exhaust manifulds, water pump and possibly the fuel cooler. Yours is a little newer and the changed the number of plugs.

I'd ask them what they do to winterize the boat (the mechanic, that is). Normally, it's just a matter of draining the water out of the engine block and sometimes they fog the cylinders. My advice would be to get a fake-a-lake (looks like a plunger with a hose connector) so you can start it up with water running through the cooling system. If you do this, DO NOT PUT THE BOAT IN GEAR and don't rev the engine up over 2000 RPMS. You can then inspect the cooling system for leaks.
      I agree w/ Dogbert.. I had a 01 21v limited.. dont know what motor your runnin but i had a merc cruiser and had 5 "blue" wing-nut drain plugs in my motor to pull when winterizing..

Comment

Okay, thanks guys! We have found that the water pump impeller is bad, hopefully not the whole pump assembly. The idiots may have started it up out of water with no plunger on. If this was the case any idea of any other problems?

Comment

When we tried starting the boat with plunger on, it wanted to turn over but the belt wasn't moving at all. Tore it apart and found that a piece of the impeller in the water pump was missing.

Comment

Follow the lines and make sure you find the missing part. Chances are you will find other parts in there also. I know this from experience

Comment

Working...
            X