How to check and adjust propeller shaft alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check and adjust propeller shaft alignment

The following alignment procedure applies to all driveline types on all boats and also explains why some prop shafts are not centered in their stern tubes (hull penetration area). It should be noted engine mis-alignment DOES NOT CAUSE VIBRATION. Vibration is caused by an out of balance portion of the spinning driveline such as the propeller, coupler or shaft if it's bent. A mis-aligned engine causes a constant force to be applied at one angle and will wear out the transmission output shaft bearing, cause the seal to leak and wear away the nitrile rubber in the cutlass bearing.

When a prop shaft is installed at any point in the boat's life, its alignment to its stern tube depends entirely on the position of the strut. If the strut was installed at an angle in relation to the stern tube, the shaft will not be centered through it. Additionally, any misalignment of the prop shaft through the strut from running aground, striking a submerged object or initial improper installation or improper engine alignment will cause damage to the strut bearing, shaft and output gear/bearings on the transmission or v-drive. The damage occurs over time and is directly related to use of the vessel in its adverse condition. Fortunately, checking prop shaft alignment is not very difficult and can be performed both in the water or while the boat's on its trailer and once set, really only needs to be checked again every 300 hours or 5 years. The alignment you will be checking is the space between the propeller shaft coupler and the output coupler from either the transmission or the v-drive.

1) Locate and identify the propeller shaft coupler. On inboards, it's easy to see at the end of the transmission and on a wakeboat, has 4 bolts connecting it to the propeller shaft coupler. On V-drives such as the Walter (either blue or black) the couplers are at the bottom of the v-drive at a 12 degree down angle facing the engine. These will be more difficult to access and check compared to inboards or the newer models. On the newer Raptor engine v-drives, the coupler is located boat forward but at the back of the v-drive.

2) Remove the 4 coupler bolts. It is not usually necessary to remove the bolts because the couplers only need to be slightly separated to check. However, we always suggest a gross alignment check prior to final alignment. Once your initial gross alignment has been verified, you won't need to perform one again unless the engine, transmission or strut have been removed.

Inboard and Walter V-drive instructions

3) Separate the couplers. If the boat is on the trailer, once the coupler bolts have been removed, hop down and pull aft on the propeller about 1/2". You will see polished witness marks on the shaft at the strut and can use those as your gauge. If the boat is in the water and you cannot separate the couplers by hand, replace two coupler bolts 180 degrees apart and hand tighten. Start the engine and briefly pop in and out of reverse one time. This will pull the coupler faces apart but keep the shaft from sliding past the inner alignment flange. Loosen and remove the coupler bolts and use a large flat head screwdriver to create about a 1/2" gap between the coupler faces.

Newer Raptor Engine V-drives

3) Same as above except you will push the propeller forward or put it in forward gear if it's in the water to get the couplers to separate.

4) Observe the gross alignment between the coupler faces. Because the strut "sets" the alignment of the shaft, the couplers should be in visual perfect alignment (shaft angle to coupler faces) at this point. The prop shaft coupler face has a male alignment flange machined into it. This flange locates inside the output shaft coupler. It should be "easy" to join the two coupler faces once the gross alignment is performed and you should not see the prop shaft shift in any direction as the two come together. It's best to have a helper at the prop to push and pull the prop shaft to observed how close the gross alignment is. If there is shifting as the couplers interface, adjust the engine accordingly. If the prop shaft coupler is lower or higher than the engine side coupler, lower or raise the engine respectively. If it is offset to port or starboard, move engine that direction.

5) Adjust the engine using the motor and transmission/V-drive mounts. Locate the engine isolators (commonly called motor mounts) and loosen the large nut on top of the adjustment stud (usually 1" or 1 1/8" nut but different manufacturers have been known to use 15/16". USE THE CORRECT SIZE SOCKET OR WRENCH SO YOU DON'T DESTROY THE NUT!!!!!). We have seen severe cases of rust and corrosion in the saltwater environment, to the adjustment studs and some cases of rust in the freshwater environment. Be sure to evaluate your isolator for viability and replace if necessary. There are port and starboard isolators on the engine side and depending on which driveline setup you have, port and starboard isolators on the inboard transmission, a single adjustment point above the Walter v-drive and a port and starboard isolator set on the newer Raptor engine v-drives. If you want the engine to raise or lower uniformly, adjust each isolator the same number of turns. Adjusting them individually will change the angle of the engine to the prop shaft and only should be done during final alignment or if the gross alignment requires it.

If the engine needs to move port or starboard, identify the isolator location and loosen the horizontal adjusting bolt on the engine side isolators, transmission isolators and/or Raptor engine v-drive isolators. The Walter overhead adjustment point has a slot machined in the bracket which allows the engine and transmission combo to slide port or starboard. Use a large pry bar, 2X4 or anything to make enough leverage to move the engine, against the engine pivoting off the stringer. Once gross alignment is satisfactory, proceed to step 6.

6) Final alignment is achieved by joining the couplers and installing the coupler bolts to hand tight. Get a feeler gauge set and use a single gauge and insert between the coupler faces as you evenly tighten the coupler bolts. Tighten them until you feel resistance against the feeler gauge when you remove it. Use this as your initial check spot. Visualize the coupler faces as a clock (for the general discussion, it does not matter which direction you are looking at the coupler when you clock it but if you describe it to someone or ask a question on it here, PLEASE say "3 o'clock position when looking aft" or "9 o'clock position when looking forward" to describe. The example shows it's the same spot on the coupler but is described two distinctly different ways).

Check if the .020" feeler gauge slides into the coupler approximately every 90 degrees. If it does not fit with the same resistance as your initial check spot, change to either a larger or smaller feeler gauge and check again. The industry standard is alignment within .004" for these size propeller shafts. This means if you start with a .020" feeler gauge and if fits everywhere except one spot which will only take .016", then you're within .004". If .018" fits at the bottom and .022" fits at the top, its within .004". We have seen alignment on these boats up to 1/4" off. NOTE: If your gross alignment requires engine movement side to side, plan on also replacing your strut bearing (also called cutlass bearing).

If your alignment is not within .004" use the up, down and side adjustments described above to move the coupler into position. Once you're within specification, tighten all adjusting bolts and recheck. If everything is still within specification, tighten the coupler bolts and give yourself a pat on the back, you have performed your first engine alignment.

Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Unstuck, there should be no movement of the propeller shaft fore and aft. If there is, check the coupler bolts are tight. If they're tight, check the prop shaft is tight in it's coupler. There should be a large nut on the shaft at the coupler end secured with a cotter key. Look for witness marks on the shaft at the coupler. It sounds like the boat was set up at the factory incorrectly either where the engine was placed and secured or the strut installation. There should be about 1/2"-1" clearance between the strut and prop faces, enough to get a puller between them for removal.

Comment

UNSTUCK betcha the trunions were loose.

https://youtu.be/aqPA1IHNYqs

^^warning has some colorful language. Saw a handful of Raptors from multiple manufacturers that had mount issues for a bit.

Comment

boatwakes thanks for the detailed and thorough right up. Hopefully admin sees and makes this a sticky

Comment

Great write up! My 2019 R23 Raptor 400 has been aligned by my dealer at the end of my first and second seasons, now I have a slow leak in vdrive right at the output of the vdrive. Dealer said mounts were loose, that’s why alignment drifted after the second season and I guess why it’s leaking now. I don’t doubt that the dealer didn’t get them right after the first alignment they did. The leak is enough to make the bottom of the drive housing oily after 2 weeks after just sitting.

. [mention]boatwakes [/mention] do you have any thoughts?

How long should an alignment last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bamer, alignments should stay set, in theory, for the life of the boat (it the boat didn't flex, motor mounts didn't sag, people didn't hit stuff, etc...) but we perform them at 300 hours, 5 years or anytime a section of driveline is removed. As I said above, once they're initially set and we go over all the bolts and mounts, they've been spot on since.

Your leak is a sign of severe wear in either the output coupler thrust bearing, gear or best case, just the seal. It sounds like the initial set up was sub-par and now the seal is worn or worse. The V-drive will have to be pulled to check and then have a re-seal performed. I'm going to say it and don't care about the flame throwing that may follow: I would recommend the V-drive be shipped to an authorized (in this case ZF) repair facility, the dealers know nothing of the internals' tolerances. Unfortunately, it's up to you to make the decision when to do it but my opinion is you'll be fine for the season as long as you keep the fluid topped and monitored. Use the oil absorbent bilge pads the marine stores sell to keep the fluid from lubricating your bilge components.

Comment

My dealer doesn’t work on parts, they tell me they only remove and replace, so they will be shipping it back to Indmar. It’s still under warranty, so looks like I need to really press them to fix it?

Comment

Bamer, yes but you will be down for the interim and from experience, it will blow your whole summer.

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                  Bamer, yes but you will be down for the interim and from experience, it will blow your whole summer.
                  For sure, not going back until fall.

Comment

This is a great thread.

Unfortunately I hit bottom with my boat two weeks ago.

Damaged the prop, bent the strut, and bent the drive shaft.

My dealer was great got me all the parts as fast as possible.

I just completed the repair. It was a dirty job removing the strut but to be honest aside from a tight spot to work in and needing a buddy to help.

One guy in boat another under it.

The repair went well. Toughest thing to be aware of is the alignment. I noticed that the shaft and coupler would not line up true with the strut centred based on where the motor b drive was sitting.

I didn’t want the strut to be off to the port side a touch so I centred it and snugged up the strut.

Then adjusted the motor which took some effort. We had to move the front of the motor (rear section of the boat) over to correct the gap at 3 vs 9 o’clock. We took our time and then got it equal but noticed that 12 and 6 were a touch different. Almost in spec but not quite. Raised the back of the motor and bing we were golden at 12, 3, 6, and 9.

I then loosened everything. Removed the snug but not tight strut. Sealed it all with 5200 and tightened the strut back up with it sealed. Double checked the coupler and tightened everything.

Photos of before and after.

Big thanks to my dealer Drummondville Marine for there help along the way!

Comment

'06 24V with 340MPI and Walters V-Drive

Got a question on the gross alignment. When I split the coupler and gave about a 1/2" gap, the prop shaft just kinda falls down and hangs there, possibly resting on the shaft log. Is this indicative of bad strut bearings? It's not hard to pick the shaft back up and re-mate the couplers, there's ample play in the shaft to do that.

PXL_20230623_235714555.jpg

Comment

Hey Skidaddle,

We just replaced a V-drive on the same model and year so very familiar with what I see there. It's important, and I didn't list it in the above how-to, to pay attention to the shaft alignment through the hull penetration but follow how the shaft wants to do it. By this, I mean of course gravity is going to pull the shaft down with the strut as it's fulcrum and sometimes it just doesn't go straight through the middle of the hull penetration. You can move it into position but that may also be exerting forces on the x and y axis of the strut and shaft interface so pay attention to how hard it is to lift the shaft coupler into gross alignment with the v-drive coupler. Often times we will use a shim in the external part of the hull penetration to center the shaft and then do alignment from there.

Strut bearing wear can usually be seen and, following bolting up the couplers, felt by grabbing the prop and trying to move it on the x and y axis. New bearings have about .010" clearance between them and the shaft and acceptable tolerances are usually held up to .050" before a noticeable vibration is felt in the boat. However, if the alignment has been off then the shaft has been wearing away at the bearing and they should probably be replaced. Check out Glide bearings units, we just installed them on our Z3 and a customers 24Ve along with new shaft seals and have been very impressed so far.

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                          Hey Skidaddle,

We just replaced a V-drive on the same model and year so very familiar with what I see there. It's important, and I didn't list it in the above how-to, to pay attention to the shaft alignment through the hull penetration but follow how the shaft wants to do it. By this, I mean of course gravity is going to pull the shaft down with the strut as it's fulcrum and sometimes it just doesn't go straight through the middle of the hull penetration. You can move it into position but that may also be exerting forces on the x and y axis of the strut and shaft interface so pay attention to how hard it is to lift the shaft coupler into gross alignment with the v-drive coupler. Often times we will use a shim in the external part of the hull penetration to center the shaft and then do alignment from there.

Strut bearing wear can usually be seen and, following bolting up the couplers, felt by grabbing the prop and trying to move it on the x and y axis. New bearings have about .010" clearance between them and the shaft and acceptable tolerances are usually held up to .050" before a noticeable vibration is felt in the boat. However, if the alignment has been off then the shaft has been wearing away at the bearing and they should probably be replaced. Check out Glide bearings units, we just installed them on our Z3 and a customers 24Ve along with new shaft seals and have been very impressed so far.
                          Awesome, this is just the info I was after, I really appreciate it. The boat had a vibration which started me down this path. The prop was slightly bent on the tips, but I didn't know how much bend would cause a vibration. I've since ordered a new prop and sent that one off to be straightened so before I stuck a prop on it and put it back in the water I wanted to be sure on alignment and strut bearings.

The clearance was something I was really curious about cause mine measured about .016". The flange on the shaft slides right in without any effort and the faces sit flat, so I feel like my alignment is pretty solid. If I grab the prop with the coupler connected and shake it, I can get it to move independent of the strut, but only slightly. It doesn't clunk back and forth and you can't really feel it, but if I set a camera there, I can see that the shaft moves a little more than the strut. I didn't really know what I was looking at, but I didn't think the strut bearings were great, but also not shot.

PXL_20230626_190813240.jpg

The bolts on the coupler were only about finger tight, but I've read that it was an issue with these and they should be checked routinely. I've seen the Glide shaft seals, but I didn't know they did strut bearings. Gotta be a bit easier to remove and replace compared to the standard ones from Marine Hardware. I like the fact that the plastic is significantly thicker without the bronze bearing housing. Thanks a million boatwakes!

Comment

You're welcome but do the alignment procedure as I described above, it will save you leaking seals in the future. Also, read this regarding correctly installing a propeller, it makes a massive difference if you don't do this right:
                            https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/gen...heck-your-prop

Comment

Also, do this: https://www.tigeowners.com/forum/gen...peller-lapping

Comment

Working...
                              X