Follow up on propeller lapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow up on propeller lapping

You may have seen last week we discovered our prop was loose on the shaft and I posted the how-to article for lapping your prop. I did ours on Thursday and have a couple photos to post here. When I pulled the propeller, it took a little heat and the puller because I had previously tightened the nut underwater so I wasn't surprised about that. Upon removal, I saw witness marks on the shaft where the prop was fretting as it microscopically moved against the stronger shaft metal. Using some machinist's blue, I confirmed what I saw and subsequently lapped the prop to the shaft until it was perfect. Unfortunately the phone battery died during this process so I don't have photos of lapping it. However, after lapping the prop, cleaning everything away from both the shaft and the propeller, installation was easy and included utilizing a bronze woodruff key included with the nut set. I strongly suggest changing to the double nut set for everyone. For those of you attending the reunion in Lake Havasu, I will bring the puller, machinist's blue and lapping compound if you want to change out. I suggest purchasing the double nut set from the prop shop at this link https://propshopinc.com/1-quot-amp-1...ot-shaft-size/. It's $12.49 plus shipping.
    01.jpeg02.jpeg03.jpeg04.jpeg05.jpeg06.jpeg07.jpeg ​​​​​​​
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

boatwakes. Thanks for posting this. I read through the article last week after your first post and it really got me thinking. This is definitely something I will make sure to add to my list of to-dos.

excellent write as well. Wish I could make it to the reunion to work on this with others.

Comment

Working...
    X