No announcement yet.

Tow capacity needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a few thoughts. I pulled my 20i from Eastern VA to Chicago with a V6 Explorer. I had a tandem axle trailer for that trip. The truck is probably a little undersized, but it was all I had. It handled the boat just fine, but it was a bit underpowered for the steep mountain grades. Other than that, she pulled along fine at 70+ and stopped fine as well. It just needed a bit more power than the 150 or 160 that particular engine produces. One thing that has been ignored here has been trailer brakes. We have two boats that are similar weights. My Tige is on a single axle trailer and the IO is on a dual. Both have brakes, but my Tige, which is heavier, stops much faster. The trailer brakes just must be better. So, that is something to keep in mind. Also, check out optional engines on SUV's. The weight rating jump can be huge when going from a V6 to a V8. I will issue this caveat. I only tow my boat a few times a year and rarely go over 2.5 hours. For this reason, I don't care to drive a tank the other 362 days a year .

Comment

I would be a little reluctant to buy into a higher tow rating from the same vehicle simply because of an upgrade from a V6 (or I6) to a V8. The addition of a V8 only adds about 100 lbs to the curb weight of the vehicle which is no real gain in stability. Power to make the whole rig move, IMO, is the least important factor when selecting a tow vehicle. If the optional V8 is the only difference between the two vehicles (for example: a V6 tundra and V8 tundra), then little has been gained. The vehicle weight stayed about the same, same braking ability, same transmission, same rear end gear, same suspension, etc.

Here is how I look at the tow vehicle priorities:
      Braking performance/ability - need to be able to stop the whole thing!
      Wheel base - Aids in stability, tracking, etc.
      Curb weight - it's better to have the truck towing the trailer, instead of the boat pushing the truck.
      rear gear ratio - reduces strain on the drive-train by using torque multiplication. helps increase fuel mileage.
      transmission - More clutch pack, bigger torque converter, larger pan = less slippage, less heat, less wear.
      Tow package - Frame mounted receiver hitch meeting the specs of the vehicles stated tow rating and intended load weight, trans cooler, engine oil cooler, larger radiator, separate fuse for trailer lights, etc.
      Engine HP and torque - Less wear and tear, better fuel mileage, better acceleration.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I think my Durango is rated at like 8,600 or something like that. When properly equipped ofcourse. Im not sure what the newer models are, mines an 05.
        Common Sense is not so Common
        Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I agree with Mike that I'd be reluctant to buy a tow vehicle based simply on a bump in horsepower. That being said, it could go the other way. Maybe the manufacturers have beefed them up enough that their only concern is that there isn't the power there to pull it with the smaller engine. It's also possible that a bigger engine comes with heavier duty suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by illiniboarder88 View Post
            I agree with Mike that I'd be reluctant to buy a tow vehicle based simply on a bump in horsepower. That being said, it could go the other way. Maybe the manufacturers have beefed them up enough that their only concern is that there isn't the power there to pull it with the smaller engine. It's also possible that a bigger engine comes with heavier duty suspension.

X2.

I have a V8 4Runner, which I think has a cap. at 7,000 vs. about 4,500 for the V6. Everything else is the same, except the hitch. It pulls well, but the boat still pushes that small wheelbase and soft suspension all over the place.

Comment

Just remember you need to take into consideration the amount of fuel, the tower the platform, stereos, coolers, wakeboards etc and the amount of people you will be taking.

Comment

i use a 02 envoy 4.6l no prob but get a after market trans cooler !!!

Comment

Its not the tow its the stop

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                    If you were trying to keep it small. The runner has a 7,000 lb. tow rating for the 4WD and 7,300 lb. for the FWD. It has a 4.L V8. The brakes are 4 wheel disc's. I would think the Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee would be similar?
                    I owned a Durango, a 4.0 Grand Cherokee and a 5.4 Expedition.Currently we have a 4.7 Grand Cherokee and a 5.3 Tahoe LT both with towing packages.

The Durango easily handled pulling and stopping 5500 lbs but in cross winds and rough roads became slightly un-stable due to a rear suspension that had no give. You felt like you where bouncing down the highway. I will say that the three times I had blowouts of a trailer tire the Durango did not have a problem handling the issue.

The Grand Cherokee is rated I think to 7500lbs with trailer package. It has no problem pulling my 20V on flat terrain and rhe mild hills of the Ozarks in Missouri. It out handles the Durango we had and does not have the rear end bouncing all the time. I had a Grand Cherokee with a I6 4.0L that was rated around 5500lbs and with the trailer package could handle pulling and stopping up to 4000 lbs but after that if you had to get up a long steep grade the I6 just ran out of power. It would make it up the grades but the motor and trans would run way hot.

My 4.7L Grand Cherokee handles the 20V without issues and plenty of room to spare with the GVWR ratings. I will only use it for short hops up to 200 miles. The Jeep has the capability but is limited in space for peeeps and gear.

For the long haul from Chicago to Bullshoals AR we are now using a Tahoe LT with Tow package and a 5.3L and like the 5.L Expedition before it, handles loads equiv to a 22VE without an issue except one which is no matter what we did driving wise neither of them including the Jeep could not get better than mpg. They typically where 12 mpg until hill country where they dropped to 9 mpg. We have used the Tahoe and Expedition to haul a MC Maristar 23' without any issues which when loaded with gear etc is comparable to a 24VE.

All of the SUV had 4x4 Capabilities. The 4.7 Grand Cherokee has fulltime 4x4 whike it is great in all weather conditions just kills mileage when towing.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceemail View Post
                      Thanks for the answer on 5,000lbs plus. Now, is there a mid size SUV such as a Highlander that will do the job?
                      Why are you only wanting a Mid-size SUV??? Your boat is quite large and while most SUV's will be able to tow it they are not the ideal vehicle for the job. If you are only towing it short distances and are strictly using it on a concrete ramp then you will be fine. But if you are like me and prefer to be the not so crowed lakes then you might not have this luxury. I would look into at least Full size truck. Most full size have right around a 8,000lbs tow rating. I used a 05 dodge hemi to tow my 01 21i, while it was plenty of truck to handle the job it lacked in the MPG. that is why I am looking into getting a diesel. and with the introduction of the new 1/2 ton light duty diesel later this year and early next. just google 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.5L V8 Duramax and see for yourself. We will finally have a truck that seems made to tow a boat. not to big not to small just the right size and power. will hope that helps.
                      I'm going old school- I'm bring back the SKURFER!!!!!!

Comment

Don't forget that the tow rating assumes just you and the trailer, no passengers, no gear in the vehicle. I had a 1991 Explorer that was "rated" at 7,000 lbs towing. It was OK on the flat freeway, but just plain scary towing a mustang on a flat bed trailer that wasn't close to 7,000 lbs over Pacheco pass to Laguna Seca. I only did that once with that SUV. My next vehicle, a half-ton Tahoe, was night and day the better tow vehicle. My now 3/4 ton Dodge diesel is night and day again the better tow vehicle than the Tahoe. It's well underrated at about 13K lbs towing. (See a trend here?) Stability, control, and piece of mind get better with each step up in capability.

A buddy of mine had a Volvo mid-size SUV that was "rated" to tow his Centurian. After the second transmission replacement under warranty he got an F-150 and hasn't looked back.

These boats are heavy, you'll have 1K-2K lbs of people and gear coming along, and you want a good safety margin. You need a full size SUV or a real truck.

Comment

Working...
                        X