Tow capacity needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tow capacity needed

What size tow package do I need to pull a 2007 Tige' 22 foot inboard open bow inboard

The boat itself weighs about 3900 lbs add another 1000 lbs for the trailer and calculate fuel and gear and your well over 5000 lbs.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    2000 Tige 2100V Sold

Comment

Tow vehicle continued

Thanks for the answer on 5,000lbs plus. Now, is there a mid size SUV such as a Highlander that will do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by bruceemail View Post
        Thanks for the answer on 5,000lbs plus. Now, is there a mid size SUV such as a Highlander that will do the job?
        Check out this handy tool:

http://boatus.com/trailerclub/suvoa/
        2000 Tige 2100V Sold

Comment

Or here for 2008 vehicles:

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.c...&sectionid=318
          2000 Tige 2100V Sold

Comment

the two i have seen do it are the honda ridgeline and the toyota fj cruiser.

Comment

You will also have to look at the distances that you will pull the boat. If you have a short trip to the ramp versus a several hour dirve that will make a difference. Also, perhaps more importantly what is the topography over which you will pull the boat? If you live in a mountainous area, you will need a rig that is more substantial and up to the task. If you are on flat lands, you can get away with less... All that will have to be taken into account in selecting the right vehicle.

Comment

Isn't the Ridgeline a uni-body vehicle?

08 Honda Ridgeline = $5000 - If it's a uni-body, I'd be scared to tow anywhere close to that IMO

08 Toyo Highlander 3.5 V6 = 2000 (5K w/tow pkg) again, I think this one is a uni-body and 5K sounds high due to the short wheelbase

08 Toyo FJ 4.0 V6 = 5000. Wheel base to me is a little short to me for 22ft/5,500 lb boat/trailer

IMO, you need a vehicle with a true chassis, and a tow rating in the 5,800 to 6,000 range.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Isn't the Ridgeline a uni-body vehicle?

08 Honda Ridgeline = $5000 - If it's a uni-body, I'd be scared to tow anywhere close to that IMO

08 Toyo Highlander 3.5 V6 = 2000 (5K w/tow pkg) again, I think this one is a uni-body and 5K sounds high due to the short wheelbase

08 Toyo FJ 4.0 V6 = 5000. Wheel base to me is a little short to me for 22ft/5,500 lb boat/trailer

IMO, you need a vehicle with a true chassis, and a tow rating in the 5,800 to 6,000 range.
                  I agree. I used to pull my boat with a 4WD Dodge Dakota (both club cab & quad cab) and it did ok. My '04 F-150 Supercrew does a better job. As others mentioned, the distance you plan on towing it and the terrain you are towing it over makes a difference. It's not just whether or not you can pull it, but more whether or not you can control your rig once its moving. Stopping is a big challenge when you have a short wheelbase or your tow vehicle is lighter than the trailer.

If you don't want a full-size SUV, look at the Dodge Durango...it's essentially the same drive train as the Dodge Dakota.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

The right vehicle to pull a 22" 05 Tige'

All being said, what are the ideal vehicles to pull a 05 Tige' 22ft boat? SUV's and Trucks?

Comment

All being said, what are the ideal vehicles to pull a 05 Tige' 22ft boat? SUV's and Trucks?
                      Either that has the proper tow rating.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

You'll get lots of opinions here, but I'd say any 1/2 tonpickup or full size SUV should do just fine, depending on how far and the type of terrain you'll be crossing. If you do have to pull longer distances, you might consider a 3/4 ton diesel pickup or equivalent SUV
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Ford Expedition or something similar in size to it.

Comment

If you were trying to keep it small. The 4Runner has a 7,000 lb. tow rating for the 4WD and 7,300 lb. for the 2WD. It has a 4.7L V8. The brakes are 4 wheel discs. I would think the Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee would be similar?
                            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

We used my wife's VW V8 Touareg to tow our 22ve with no problems, for a smaller SUV it did great. It does have a 7000lb towing capacity.

Comment

Working...
                              X