Struck the Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
    If it is only a small bend on the tip of the blade, you would be surpised what you can fix your self with a crescent wrench. Throwing out the dough to fix such a minor bend adds up quick, esp if this happens a lot. Props are very precise items and they have to be right, but if you have a good eye and are good with tools, take a few minutes and some patience and you can often get them back in shape with a little TLC from a crescent wrench, usually enough to save your day. Just a thought.

Should I attempt this or would I get myself into trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by wake454 View Post
      Should I attempt this or would I get myself into trouble?
      Since you're asking the question, I would say let a professional do it. If your prop is not balanced, it can cause undue wear and tear on the shaft, strut, packing seal, V-Drive and transmission.

Take it to Nettles. I've had a couple of minor bends caused by people sitting on my swim platform in shallow water. I brought it to them and they fixed it right there, no charge.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

^^^

I agree. Undue wear and tear of the seals and the shaft from a wobbly prop is not covered under warranty from my understanding.

Comment

Ok, it took a bit longer than I thought, but I had a few things to take care of before I got to this. In the pictures below, I attempted to circle the areas that were damaged, which prevented the repair of my prop. It's at the base of each blade in a faint red circle. Basically, if you bend the blade down there, they can't fix it.

No worries, tho, 'cuz SPBFAN took care of me and had a new prop on its way 5 minutes after I called him.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

dam, that looks like puddin'
            put it on Ebay--somebody'll buy it
            Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Interesting as I had a bend or two in that area and they did fix it for me. Did you try and were refused?

Also, how many times do you think a prop can be repaired?

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
                Interesting as I had a bend or two in that area and they did fix it for me. Did you try and were refused?
                I'm always amazed what Nettles can repair and how quickly they do it. So, when they say it's trashed, it's trashed.

Comment

understandable... i did have bends at the base and my shop took it for repairs... i do have a bit of noticable wobble that I do not remember having and wonder if this is the culprit. I will put the other prop back on and see if the wobble disappears. Sucks if I am going to be down a prop!

Comment

So I got the prop fixed at nettles, but now it seems to sound different. The boat feels smooth at riding speed (22mph) but I hear rattling and some vibration or knocking when I'm turning sharp at low speed to pick up the boarder. Almost like the motor is knocking a little bit and the prop is rattleing. Has anyone else experienced this? My steering has gotten real tight over the last few weeks, I guess it's time to repleace the steering cable. Would this cause any of the other symptoms though?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X