Struck the Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struck the Prop

Well I barely hit bottom this last weekend while backing my boat off the trailor. One corner of one paddle is bent. It's only about a half inch that is bent, but it was enough to cause some vibration around 13mph. Is something like this fixable, or do I have to get a new prop?

Yes, totally fixable. Here in CA, it runs anywhere from $130 to $250 to fix the prop. Definitely cheaper than purchasing a new one.

Comment

Where are you located. What kind of prop?

Comment

Originally posted by wake454 View Post
        Well I barely hit bottom this last weekend while backing my boat off the trailor. One corner of one paddle is bent. It's only about a half inch that is bent, but it was enough to cause some vibration around 13mph. Is something like this fixable, or do I have to get a new prop?
        I have plenty of experience with this...it's totally fixable. As long as the blade is not bent at the base you're good. I'll take a picture of my prop (don't ask) that got wrecked this weekend and post it. It's not fixable and I'll try and point out why.

Of course, the prop is the least of my worries. I'm looking at a strut and possibly a bent shaft, although they think it's ok. Funny thing is that I threw on my spare after it happened and the boat actually ran pretty well. We didn't push it much beyond 2500 RPMS, but did get some use out of it for floating around and such.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Dog, isn't this your second time around with the strut and shaft?

Comment

I'll take a picture of my prop (don't ask) that got wrecked this weekend and post it
            Sorry, dog, you cant get out that easy.......we DEMAND the full story.

J/K, hope it's nothing more then the prop.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by laserfish View Post
              Dog, isn't this your second time around with the strut and shaft?
              Yup.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Sorry, dog, you cant get out that easy.......we DEMAND the full story.
                Well, I was teaching my youngest how to drive the boat while ballasted for wakesurfing. We started out in a relatively deep area. My other son was riding and kept falling, so we had to pick him up a bunch of times. Plus we had the stereo going.

All this amounted to a lot of distractions for the driver. He lost track of the depth finder. I lost track of where we were. There's a low spot 100s of yards from any shoreline and the lake was down and we hit a low spot. It's about 20' on all sides of this thing. I'd seen it once before when the lake was even lower, but I lost track of where we were. I did make my son aware of it on multiple occasions, but he kept telling me I was full of it.

The lesson learned was that we had too much going on at the same time and sometimes dad is actually right. He felt pretty bad about it and I'm hoping he actually learned the lesson.

Comment

i just got mine fixed today. exact same scenario. got it fixed for 100 on the dot here in dallas.
                  I'm full of tomfullery

Comment

If it is only a small bend on the tip of the blade, you would be surpised what you can fix your self with a crescent wrench. Throwing out the dough to fix such a minor bend adds up quick, esp if this happens a lot. Props are very precise items and they have to be right, but if you have a good eye and are good with tools, take a few minutes and some patience and you can often get them back in shape with a little TLC from a crescent wrench, usually enough to save your day. Just a thought.
                    I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

Originally posted by laserfish View Post
                      Where are you located. What kind of prop?
                      This is all good news. I live in San Antonio. I'm not sure what kind of prop it is, but it is the original prop on a 2005 22v.

Comment

Another question: Do I need a prop puller to get this thing off?

Comment

This is all good news. I live in San Antonio. I'm not sure what kind of prop it is, but it is the original prop on a 2005 22v.
                          Take it to Nettles Propeller in Austin.

Comment

Another question: Do I need a prop puller to get this thing off?
                            You don't "NEED" one, but they make it much, much easier. If you don't wanna buy one, see if you can borrow one from somebody near you. Banging on the prop isn't really a grand idea but it will work....eventually.

Just remember don't take the nut all the way off before you break the prop loose!!!!!!
                            Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
                              Just remember don't take the nut all the way off before you break the prop loose!!!!!!
                              Unless you want to lose a nut hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X