No announcement yet.

TAPS 2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tabs on his boat look home made, likely because the original tabs are made for higher speeds and did not work at surf speed.

Comment

So - I got the starboard side working. I have no idea what I did other than pull that end out as shown in the photo and drain water.
      I really don't think that had anything to do with, but I don't know what did. Port side is still belly up. No longer blowing the fuse though.

As far as after market install/homemade rig - maybe one indicator is a purple wire that is coming off the ground bus and going to the controller - it has a fuse in it. I've never seen anyone fuse a ground wire. Also, the location of the pump for the Taps 2 doesn't seem right - buried behind the battery and under a fiberglass seat where you can't access it and the way it is screwed to the deck doesn't look like a factory job - if it is I'm disappointed in Tige for doing something that sloppy.

Will re-attack on the port side in the morning. Good thing is Bennett has a lifetime warranty on these actuators - even to secondary owners. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Comment

So - I got the starboard side working. I have no idea what I did other than pull that end out as shown in the photo and drain water.
        I really don't think that had anything to do with, but I don't know what did. Port side is still belly up. No longer blowing the fuse though.

As far as after market install/homemade rig - maybe one indicator is a purple wire that is coming off the ground bus and going to the controller - it has a fuse in it. I've never seen anyone fuse a ground wire. Also, the location of the pump for the Taps 2 doesn't seem right - buried behind the battery and under a fiberglass seat where you can't access it and the way it is screwed to the deck doesn't look like a factory job - if it is I'm disappointed in Tige for doing something that sloppy.

Will re-attack on the port side in the morning. Good thing is Bennett has a lifetime warranty on these actuators - even to secondary owners. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Comment

Johnnie Mo - I'm curious to see how it works too! I'm an old die-hard slalom skier - normally annoyed by monster wakers messing up flat water but starting to get into wake boarding and the family wanted to try surfing so I upgraded to this boat. To be honest I was a little disappointed with the size of the wake for slalom skiing (so why did he buy that boat you're probably saying). Will running these side tabs down a little put me more bow down and flatten the wake any - or is the center Taps 2 the only thing that will effect that?

Comment

Originally posted by jpar View Post

Also, the location of the pump for the Taps 2 doesn't seem right - buried behind the battery and under a fiberglass seat where you can't access it and the way it is screwed to the deck doesn't look like a factory job - if it is I'm disappointed in Tige for doing something that sloppy.
            That is indeed the factory location. It was the same way in my buddies 20V.

Regarding the outboard trim tabs and deploying them for water skiing, that will absolutely flatten the wake. I had a pair of smart tabs on an I/O I purchased a while back and the first time I tried to wakeboard behind the boat it sucked bad, it was super flat. I swore I’d sell it the next day if taking them off didn’t solve the problem but removing them made the wake shape up nicely. Too bad because with them on the boat it planed out in like 20 feet!

Comment

I believe the wires to the actuator run all the way back to the controller. The controller has a power and ground. The Bennett trim tabs are electric. Sanger uses them for surf wakes. I hope you got them working.

Comment

The tabs on port and starboard sides do not have hydraulic lines going to them, just a yellow and blue wire. The system is now here
 blowing the main fuse. There are three fuses in the system - the one that is blowing is on the wire that goes to the Bennet control box mounted under the dash.

Comment

Working...
                X