TAPS 2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAPS 2 questions

Having issues with TAPS on a 2007 20V- I can't get the starboard side plate to retract - stuck in the down position. Display on the dash shows it is retracted, but it it still down. A Bennet manual talks about topping off the fluid reservoir, but I don't think I have one. Fluid seems to be self contained in the piston. Is there a reservoir somewhere I should be looking for?

On the center tab - I cannot get it to go down. I can push it down while trimming, but it will not stay down. At times, the guage will indicate it is trying - shows it is partially going down but I don't think it really is. I'm showing some fluid on the plate that looks like it leaked out of the piston.

Can anyone give me a clue? I'm a new Tige owner - maybe these are just rookie issues someone can point out to me.

I would look for the fuse before anything else...IMHO.

Comment

Tried that - no joy.

Comment

There is a pump in the starboard rear hatch area near the transom. Check your fluid level. I bet you thats the issue.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks KoolAid - I'll look again. I don't have anything that looks like hydraulic lines visibly going to the units - just wires. Are there lines hidden somewhere going from this pump?

Changing topics - is there a hose somewhere to drain the oil other than the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan?

Comment

I found the pump. It is in the underseat compartment behind the drivers seat. Ridiculous location - you have to remove the battery to get to it and then it is still under the fiberglass portion so you have to remove it to service it or get a funnel with a flexible tube to reach back under. However, this pump only serves the center trim tab. The tabs on port and starboard sides do not have hydraulic lines going to them, just a yellow and blue wire. The system is now blowing the main fuse. There are three fuses in the system - the one that is blowing is on the wire that goes to the Bennet control box mounted under the dash. Anyone seen this and know what I need to do?

Comment

You have something else going on besides Taps2... that references the single plate in the center. Sounds like someone added an aftermarket set of tabs similar to Go Surf Assist

Comment

Can you post a picture of the rear of the boat so we can see the tabs? Also what controls for the tabs do you have on the dash?

Comment

Found some info on the Bennett web site. Turns out I have Bolt electric system. Going through the trouble shooting section now. Controller attached.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Glad you found that, unfortunately you have 2 systems to troubleshoot

Comment

I tried disconnecting each side one at a time isolate actuators - both sides blow the fuse. Picture shows unit on transom. When I unscrewed that portion in my hand water came out. I wonder if it is supposed to be a sealed unit and the water is shorting it out?

Bennett.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Taps 2 is now working since I added hydraulic fluid to it. Just to be clear - Taps 2 refers only to the center tab? Starboard and port tabs are what system? Funny thing is when I started trouble shooting the Taps 2, the side tabs were working.

Comment

Correct, Taps2 is just the center tab, that is what came from the factory. The Bennett system is something that was added to mimic Taps3. Go Surf Assist is a more advanced version of what you have as far as an aftermarket system.

Comment

To be even more clear - it looks like someone added a home made system to that boat. That is NOT factory and it doesn't look to be anything I've seen on the market before. I'm curious how well it works!

I looked in to creating my own home made system also and ultimately gave up.

Comment

Bennett sells the dual trim tab kit and controller. Not originally designed for this purpose, they are used on high performance boats to help with getting on plane, correct listing issues while under way and adjust bow angle for porposing

Comment

Working...
                              X