No announcement yet.

Steering Cable Length - 14 RZ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable was most likely originally run under the tank ya?? Ive always managed to get them thru. Sometimes you have to move the heater hoses out of the way to get it thru along the Stbd stringer. Ive never had to pull the tank for a cable, but theres always exceptions with handbuilt boats.

Im assuming you cant clear the big nut that threads into the steering tube?? Did you rig your pull cord so the end of the cable doesnt extend from the nut while you pull??

Comment

Steering Cable Length - 14 RZ2

The original was run along the heater lines on the starboard side. It was not underneath. I guess they learned that was a bad idea. I got the old one out just by cutting it and I ran a rope through.

I did not attach the rope around the nut and so I ended up just extracting the cable each time. We tried all sorts of things with no luck. But yes, the nut is what is catching.

At this point I never want to see it again. I'll likely take it to the dealer. At least they have the option of yelling at Tige.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
        The original was run along the heater lines on the starboard side. It was not underneath. I guess they learned that was a bad idea. I got the old one out just by cutting it and I ran a rope through.

I did not attach the rope around the nut and so I ended up just extracting the cable each time. We tried all sorts of things with no luck. But yes, the nut is what is catching.

At this point I never want to see it again. I'll likely take it to the dealer. At least they have the option of yelling at Tige.
        My rz2 was the same. I had to cut out the old one. I had to cut a hole in the floor by the helm to make a notch to drop in the new one and taped the old one where I cut it to pull in the new.

Find a way to route the cable back there any way. Possibly thru the starboard side after Going in front of the heater. But then you might need a longer cable

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTs-rz2 View Post
          My rz2 was the same. I had to cut out the old one. I had to cut a hole in the floor by the helm to make a notch to drop in the new one and taped the old one where I cut it to pull in the new.

Find a way to route the cable back there any way. Possibly thru the starboard side after Going in front of the heater. But then you might need a longer cable

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
          Where did you drill the hole and how did that help?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
            Where did you drill the hole and how did that help?
            Where the cable goes through the floor there is a box that covers that hole. Tape around it on the floor then remove that box. There is just a drilled hole there for the cable to go through. Cut that hole out larger, using the tape as reference as to how far you can go. Be careful, the fuel tank is right there. Basically the larger hole (i would make it a slot) will allow you to feed the cable through a lot easier. That is what I do. Then I feed the rudder end of the cable through that hole and keep stuffing the cable in until part of it folds out into the center floor/bilge/tank are of the boat. Then you can just grab a hold of it from there and pull all of the slack you need.
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

I don't have a box. I removed all the baffling years ago, and moved my heater up. This is what it looks like. The blue thing is electrical tape wrapped around the the nut on the steering cable.

IMG_3100 (1).jpg

Comment

You cant swing it towards the heater hoses? IIRC the back half of the tank is recessed to clear the cable.
                Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                  You cant swing it towards the heater hoses? IIRC the back half of the tank is recessed to clear the cable.
                  No. It goes in about 6 inches from there and gets stuck E V E R Y time. It hits a cross "member" of the floor.

Comment

So after many hours (days) of pain, cutting, tearing, crying and bleeding, I invited my brother in law over to help. After he did all the aforementioned things also he says to me "can't we just run this down the starboard side of the boat?"

OMG. We had the cable in the engine bay in 3 minutes. I haven't hooked it back up yet, but I see no reason why this won't work. It will happily run under the forward leg of my ballast bag and slip into the engine compartment just forward of the rear hard ballast tank. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                    X