Looking for alittle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for alittle help

I just bought a fake-a-lake and was wondering how long it should take before seeing any water come out of the exhaust? I tried using it once already and never saw any water exit the exhaust. I know I had what sounded like a belt squealing but I'm not sure if it could be that or a what a bad pulley would sound like. Any help would be appreciated

Did you start the water before you started the engine? If not, that squealing could have been your impeller eating itself at startup

Comment

No I had the water going before I started the engine

Comment

I usually have water coming out of the exhaust within 10 seconds

Comment

hull vent.jpghull vent.jpg
          Originally posted by Spicer View Post
          I just bought a fake-a-lake and was wondering how long it should take before seeing any water come out of the exhaust? I tried using it once already and never saw any water exit the exhaust. I know I had what sounded like a belt squealing but I'm not sure if it could be that or a what a bad pulley would sound like. Any help would be appreciated
          I've maybe waited 20 seconds. Is there water coming out around the intake? Not to be rude, but are you sure it's over the engine intake?
          Last edited by mikemcclain8; 08-18-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you need an impeller now. Did you put the F-a-L to the correct intake? Sometimes you need to put the trans in neutral and bring the engine rpm up to like 1200 for a few seconds.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

FaL.jpg
              So i attached it right there in the picture and that's the only intake i see underneath. I didn't try to rev it.

Comment

If you've got a Merc engine, im betting the impeller has flipped the wrong way, resulting in the squealing noise and not water from the exhaust. If it has the composite housing and never had the impeller housing changed or you dont know, get the whole housing assembly not just change impeller
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

after the engine was running how much water was still getting out of the F-a-L? As stated above, were not trying to insult your knowledge just trying to diagnose. Fake Lakes are a royal pain to get positioned just right so you don't starve them for water and eventually burn through an impeller in 30 seconds.
                  My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    If you've got a Merc engine, im betting the impeller has flipped the wrong way, resulting in the squealing noise and not water from the exhaust. If it has the composite housing and never had the impeller housing changed or you dont know, get the whole housing assembly not just change impeller
                    What issues does the composite housing have? The last time I was on the lake I know I never had any sort of cooling/overheating problems it ran fine. I've only owned the boat for a year and a half now and have taken it to a shop to do the fluids and to have it winterized and dewinterized and they should have put a new impeller in. But I think I'll pull the housing off and take a look inside and check the impeller.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
                      after the engine was running how much water was still getting out of the F-a-L? As stated above, were not trying to insult your knowledge just trying to diagnose. Fake Lakes are a royal pain to get positioned just right so you don't starve them for water and eventually burn through an impeller in 30 seconds.
                      No insult taken I here to learn and get as much knowledge as I can. From what I saw it didn't look like the water coming out from between the f-a-l and hull changed after i started it. Which is weird since I haven't had any issues with cooling while on the lake

Comment

Those composite Merc housing are known to get out of round over time of if the impeller runs dry and gets hot. This leads to repeated impeller failure over short periods or priming issues.

Comment

I would start with making sure you have the fake a lake sealed all the way around the through hull. if off a little bit it will have a hard time sucking up water

Comment

Runs.jpg

I do appreciate all of the input. I decided I would check to make sure i had a nice good seal on the f-a-l and sure enough as you can see from the pic the impeller is good. Gave me some good ideas to look for in the future with any issues that may come up.

Comment

i would just make sure your temps stay good once you get it in the water, but im guessing youll be fine! Id still replace the impeller at the beginning of next season especially if you dont know when the last time it was replaced!

Comment

Working...
                              X