Ignition Switch replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Switch replacement?

My boat has had some trouble starting recently..........the key turns, all accesories work, but then nothing when I crank it on...........I do this about 25 times and finally it starts...........Kept telling myself to get it fixed, but just been super busy...........finally tonight it wouldn't turn over.....tried for a good 10 minutes...............batteries are fresh, starter is solid too..........I am thinking it is the ignition switch itself............anyone replaced on before? Seems to be pretty straight forward........just unplug the wires from the old one, unscrew it from the dash, then slide the new one in, put the wries back, and it should be good to go?

Any info or help would be great! Is there any general relays under the dash that might be the culprit? Or maybe the neutral safety switch? Not sure where it is though.........

Thanks in advance!

Try moving the shifter slightly and see if the neutral adjustment is off a bit.

Comment

Lee,
      I tried that but to no avail..........I really think its the ignition switch, but until I can check out the neutral switch on the side of the tranny, I won't really know. At least it sounds like an easy fix from what I have been reading........

Comment

I would start with the soleniod. That would be the easiest place to start and they are cheap. If the problem persist change the ignition switch. and yes it is easy as you think. Just swap wires and screw the new one on the dash and your done. I did mine on my 98 in about 15 mins. Same on the soleniod. I think I paid around $5 for the seloniod and $20 for the ignition. I replaced them both at the same time just because. Turned out it was the solenoid though.
        How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

Well, its not the ignition switch...........replaced it, but still won't turn over........it caught for a second, but then nothing.............

I am thinking now its the starter or solenoid........but the starter is not fun to get at...I have power running to it both battery and ignition wires............I can see the one bolt holding it in but where is the other??? Anyone have some pics of where both starter bolts are? Do I have to use a specific marine starter or can I just take it to the local auto shop and match it up?

What a pain in the arse! Supposed to have people over the next few days and no freakin boat.........lovely............

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Comment

I think you need a marine starter. I think they have a special vent to capture a possible spark.
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

You describe exactly what I went through at the beginning of the season. Mine turned out to be the starter. Replaced it, and now it starts better than it ever has.

Comment

The best thing to do now is go to autozone or any autoparts store and buy a starting button. This will tell you if it is the starter or the soleniod. The starting button will have two leads seperated by a button or pull trigger to close the circuit between the two. Hook on lead up to one of the small studs on your solenoid (not the big ones) and the other lead to the other small stud. Turn the ignition key to the run position and trigger the start button if the motor turns every time you do this then the problem is your soleniod. If you get nothing from the starter now hook the leads to the the larger studs just to make sure. If nothing happens, looks like you need a new starter. I don't know about your boat, but my 98 DD the starter was right there on the rear starboard side of the motor (a top mount). Very easy to change. Aslo the new starter that I got was smaller and had more torque. As with any other boat part the starter set me back $200. And yes the marine starters are sealed to prevent spark, same with the altenator. You never want to put automotive starter or altenator on your boat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless you are trying out for al queda and introducing the boat bomb. Any who the starter button shouldn't be more than around $20 and will save you some guessing.

Comment

Well, know I am fully confused.........

I was able to get it to crank over last night after disconnecting the neutral safety relay and reconnecting..........but it didn't fire every time.......but 2 out of 3 turns of the key.........so I let it sit....

This morning I checked it again and was able to fire it........albeit not every single time I turned the key..........so I took it out on the lake all afternoon and it ran great. Started pretty much everytime I tried it........

Could it still be the starter or is it possible it might be something else? Maybe a loose connection somewhere else in the starting sequence? I checked all the starter wires, the ignition wires, etc.........all tight......The starter is an absolute bear to get to sitting underneath the drivers side part of the motor..........I can get to 1 bolt, but the other is way underneath......

I have a great local shop that does the work I can't tackle, but they are 10-12 days out........I may just wait another week then take it in when I know I won't be using it.......let them figure it out.........

Comment

I don't remember who it was, maybe Lee. But I believe that there is a way to jumper the neutral safety switch so you can eliminate that. I haven't had much experience with that so I won't be much help there. Hopefully someone will chime in and can explain how to jumper that. Obviously if while jumpered it cranks everytime then it is your neutral safety switch. Hope you can get this resolved before your big weekend. On the plus side, if you find that it is the seloniod, then that starter button will get you through until you get a chance to replace it.

Comment

when my starter went out. It was flaky for a couple of weeks before it finally crashed.
                      If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Mine was really intermittant as well. Even tested good once at the place where I bought the starter so they replaced the solenoid. The the starter turned over the motor once after I reinstalled it. After that, nothing. Took it back, and the starter tested bad. Put on a new one and never looked back. Glad it all happened in the driveway though and not on the lake.

Comment

Rogersbm82,

Is the attached pic what the starting button you mentioned looked like?

If so, I may just pick one up today and try it and see what happens.......

Either way, it has to be the solenoid or the starter...........just need to figure out when to take it in.............
                          Attached Files

Comment

That one would work for the small leads on the soleniod but you will want something bigger for to handle more amps for the acctuall larger studs on the solenoid that go to the starter. Let me do some checking and get you a picture or link to more of what I am talking about.

Comment

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm

here is the link for the one I found at autozone, I have always called it a starting button but I guess the technical term is Remote Starter

Here is a picture of what you want to find though.

Aslo, if it is the starter just take a hammer and give it a little rap while useing the remote starter. I had to do that for a whole weekend last summer till my new starter came in. lol
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by rogersbm82; 07-10-2008, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X