Crimping connectors on large wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crimping connectors on large wire

What do folks use for crimping connectors onto 2/0 to 4 gauge wire? The tools I have found online are $$$$! There is a hammer tool that I've found for significantly less. Anyone use something like THIS?

That tool works good.

What I like to do is clamp the terminal eye in a vise, heat it with a butane torch and fill it about 1/4 to 1/3 full with liquid solder and then slide the spliced end in and let it cool. When cool, cover with heat shrink.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I actually have the crimp tools for those big connectors, but I guess being in the electrical trade helps. Try using the vice idea or you might have to find some type of bolt on connector.
      "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

jwanck11 - I used that tool and the connectors did not come loose. It worked very good.

Comment

Cool! Thanks very much for the responses. I was actually thinking of doing a blend of methods using soldier and then crimping. Always woried about a cold solder connection...

Comment

My dealer had a crimping tool and, since I got some of the cable from them anyways, they just did it for me.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
              Cool! Thanks very much for the responses. I was actually thinking of doing a blend of methods using soldier and then crimping. Always worried about a cold solder connection...
              As long as you heat the connector to the point that the solder melts as you touch it to the inside, it should be a good solder.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I bought the same hammer crimper for 2 ott O rings. I bought it from this place cheap: https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...20940:OR:04040

Comment

wow - that is a great price!

I do have a fair amount of experience with soldering but did have one or two bad solders when I used to make r/c batt packs. That is why I thought about doing both...

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    That tool works good.

What I like to do is clamp the terminal eye in a vise, heat it with a butane torch and fill it about 1/4 to 1/3 full with liquid solder and then slide the spliced end in and let it cool. When cool, cover with heat shrink.
                    IMO, this is the most professional looking way and makes the joint totally secure. I did exactly that on all of mine (lots!) I went one step further though, and used a vice grip plier with a round mouth to squeeze them shut--adjust the knob so it's tight then close the pliers using thier leverage to close the gap in the terminal. Then put the supplied red/black boot over the end.
                    Looks VERY good and literally held me (180#) from the terminal ring--that's secure.
                    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

wow - that is a great price!

I do have a fair amount of experience with soldering but did have one or two bad solders when I used to make r/c batt packs. That is why I thought about doing both...
                      Unless you have one HELLUVA soldering iron, you'll have to use a propane/MAPP gas torch and solder. I would just use the torch; makes it quick and easy.
                      Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Thanks Jason... that is basically the same thing that I am going to do but instead of using vise grips, I am thinking of using the hammer crimper. The pull strength is rated at 1800#'s

Comment

last question on this. Do you guys use an electrical solder (higher silver content) or regular plumbing solder?

I have a hard time locally finding electrical solder in quantity

Comment

last question on this. Do you guys use an electrical solder (higher silver content) or regular plumbing solder?

I have a hard time locally finding electrical solder in quantity
                            Resin core, NOT Acid core.

Comment

Thanks! Will take a look at the stuff I have.

I am used to the small RC and model train boards where I use electrical solder and to plumbing as well. Not sure I ever took notice of resin vs. acid core.

Comment

Working...
                              X