Battery Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone can explain the rationale for this switch set up
    IF it is some sort of anti-theft deal, you might as well leave the keys over the sunvisor while your truck is parked at the ramp! just as effective.

factory didn't tighten down a connection to a power converter
    I think this is a battery isolator. It lets the alternator keep both batteries charged but will not let a dead one drain a good one. The engine and gauges run off the starting batt and all the accessories run off the deepcycle. The way the sys is wired, if your starting batt goes dead, like what happened to you, you cant start off the deepcycle. Jumper-cables is a great idea.

but mine are not in parallel
    I think ours might be pretty much the same. Maybe we will call it a 'modified parallel' system. Yours are probably wired Batt Neg to Batt Neg and both Positives being devided by the Isolator?

I hate to here you got hung out and had to be towed in. Glad it was only a minor repair. (still ruins the day though)

Working on the diagram for mine 3rd battery install, may have posted tonight or tomarrow.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Well, here is what i've got so far! Thoughts anyone, anyone.

I think 2 deepcycles will be better than 1 deep and 2 starting. This set-up will allow me to start off of the 2 deepcycles if I need to. I can also top off the charge on both banks at once.
      Attached Files
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Does everyone use a starting battery and a deep cycle. I have always used deep cycle on both. What are the pros and cons?

Comment

Originally posted by Moki
          Does everyone use a starting battery and a deep cycle. I have always used deep cycle on both. What are the pros and cons?
          I use two starting batteries, but one of each is better if your stereo is wired to the deep cycle. The starting battery is designed to work with your alternator and start your engine at maximum amps. Your deep cycle is designed for continuous discharge over long periods of time and better suited for things like big stereos, trolling motors, under water lights, etc.

If you get a deep cycle, plan on getting a charger. However, most chargers will require you to use two of the same batteries if they can handle two batteries. You can get specialized chargers that do both, but plan on spending extra bucks.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Just to add to what Dogbert said, A starting battery can only be discharged (run dead) and charged back about 3 or 4 times before they give up. They flow current faster to handle sudden heavy loads like your starter motor.

Deepcycles can be run dead and recharged multiple times. They like loads that draw slow and steady.

Comment

I've been to (2) dealerships and they still can't figure out my battery situation. The last story I got, was that my alternator wasn't strong enough to charge (3) batteries (which is probably true), and when (1) battery goes dead, it kills the entire system and prevents anything from starting. I told him he was full of sh-- and asked why do I have a Perko switch and an Isolator, when that's exactly what its supposed to prevent. He had no response. My current wiring configuration is Main battery to Isolator, Isolator to alternator, AND perko switch to alternator switching between (2) accessory batteries. Shouldn't the Perko switch be connected to the isolator and not directly to the alternator?

Comment

A bad battery can kill an entire electrical system. I had a battery short out on me in my truck and we couldn't even jump it with a F-450 Superduty with multiple batteries. It actually killed that truck, too.

The quick way to eliminate that is to take your starter battery to Autozone and test it. Your secondary batteries are likely deep cycle, so they are not well suited for a high amp draw or starting your boat.

If your battery is more than 3 years old, it probably needs replacing.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                X