Battery Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Switch

Is the battery switch supposed to turn EVERYTHING off?
    I would think so, otherwise what is the point.
    The battery switch on my new Tige' does the same thing as the key "off" position -radio doesn't work but all the switches still do...
    Farmer John
    2006 24Ve

On my 05V the battery switch will turn off everything except for the bilge pump. There is a seperate circuit for the bilge pump that bypasses the switch. All else goes through the switch. I have dual batteries installed.
    Ray Thompson
    2005 22V

Comment

there are diiferent types of perko switches the newer tiges only have the one battery hooked to it. when you turn it off it only kills the battery hooked to the starter. the other battery is still live to the dash. now if you have an older tige some of them did have the perko switch with off/batt1/batt2/both wich allowed you to kill all batterys. but if you have a 2 battery sys. and the perko switch just says on/off then it is just killing the 1 battery to starter. hope this helps let me know if i didnt answer your question all the way and ill try to explain myself better.

Comment

Originally posted by kko
        ...if you have a 2 battery sys. and the perko switch just says on/off then it is just killing the 1 battery to starter... [/B]
        Thanks! That sounds like what I have.

OK. So if I accidentilly bump the curtesy light switch on a bright day with the battery switch off, then it will only drain the one battery. I can turn on the battery switch and still start the boat with the second battery. Is that right?
        I would like to see a schematic. Does that mean that one battery is dedicated to accessories and one is dedicated to the starter? I don't think so otherwise the battery switch still serves no purpose. It must open the starter from both batteries AND isolate the 2nd battery from the accessories.
        Farmer John
        2006 24Ve

Comment

My 06 22ve has duel batts with the on/off switch. when the switch is 'off' everything is of except the bilge. if these boats are trimmed out by the dealers, there is no telling what might be done differant from one to the other!
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

farmerjd your boat works the same as all the tiges i have seen. i double checked the 5 we have at our shop and in our showroom right now. i dont have an answer as to why they are like that but thats the way it is being done.(2 batts./switch says on/off it only cuts off power to starter. dash still works)
            Last edited by kko; 07-15-2006, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks kko. I would still like to understand the rationale since it still doesn't make sense to me. But is it really true that if the switch is off the dash will not drain BOTH batteries.
              Last edited by farmerjd; 07-15-2006, 01:32 PM.
              Farmer John
              2006 24Ve

Comment

im working on that because im in same boat as you (no pun intended) i dont understand why they do it like this either. i let you know what i find out.

Comment

3 batteries??

FIRST POST!!!! I had my 06 20V out for the just the 5th time last saturday, and had issues with my switch/batteries. When I purchased the boat, I asked the dealer to install a 2nd battery and perko switch. On saturday I ran the battery dead on "2", when I switched over to "1", it still didn't start. Upon further inspection, I found that I in fact have 3 batteries. The perko switch only switches between the (2) auxiliary batteries, and doesn't even connect to the main battery, which coincedentally looks like the only one that came from the factory. I haven't asked the dealer yet, simply because I have had issues with them not having a clue about anything. I couldn't find where the switch connects to the alternator, but maybe it comes from the isolator?? I checked and Perko doesn't make a switch for 3 batteries. Anyone know what the heck went wrong???

Comment

Re: 3 batteries??

Originally posted by XXV at last
                    FIRST POST!!!! I had my 06 20V out for the just the 5th time last saturday, and had issues with my switch/batteries. When I purchased the boat, I asked the dealer to install a 2nd battery and perko switch. On saturday I ran the battery dead on "2", when I switched over to "1", it still didn't start. Upon further inspection, I found that I in fact have 3 batteries. The perko switch only switches between the (2) auxiliary batteries, and doesn't even connect to the main battery, which coincedentally looks like the only one that came from the factory. I haven't asked the dealer yet, simply because I have had issues with them not having a clue about anything. I couldn't find where the switch connects to the alternator, but maybe it comes from the isolator?? I checked and Perko doesn't make a switch for 3 batteries. Anyone know what the heck went wrong???
                    I'd find out what's connected to the 2 batteries.
                    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I have the amps and head unit wired directly to what I thought was battery 2. That way the main battery wouldn't be affected. Buts that's why I'm confused, the stereo isn't even connected to the main battery, and the main battery isn't connected to the switch. The only common connection looks like the isolator. But the purpose of that is to prevent any back feeding....right?

Comment

Originally posted by XXV at last
                        I have the amps and head unit wired directly to what I thought was battery 2. That way the main battery wouldn't be affected. Buts that's why I'm confused, the stereo isn't even connected to the main battery, and the main battery isn't connected to the switch. The only common connection looks like the isolator. But the purpose of that is to prevent any back feeding....right?
                        Ok, do you have a switch or an isolator (they are very different). A switch is manual, but an isolator is automatic and designed to save your starting battery. It automatically will allow the alternator to charge the secondary bank of batteries once the engine is running. The rest of the time it isolates the starting battery from any draw from your accessories.

Did you get a click or any sound when you went to start your boat?
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Pretty sure I have both. I have a perko switch on the passenger side adjacent to (2) batteries, both look dealer installed. There is an isolator (or what I'm guessing to be an isolator) adjacent to the battery on the driver side, which appears to be factory installed. I plan on getting into it more tomorrow. But since I can't find any type of wiring schematic on how to wire 3 batteries with the perko switch, I don't know what it should look like. I'm guessing the dealer had no idea I had the (1) battery on the driver side when they installed the third (or what they thought was the 2nd) battery.

Comment

XXV @ last,

My 06 Ve has 2 batteries and an ON/OFF switch. One starting and one deepcycle that are wired parallel. The switch disconnects everything but the bilge pump. It sounds like your boat may be wired similar to mine.

This Fall I plan on installing a Perko dual battery switch and a third ( 2nd starting ) battery, and do away with the factory ON/OFF switch.

I will wire as such: Batt 1 will have a starting & deepcycle in parallel.
                            Batt 2 will have the 2nd starting battery as a reserve.

All the boats electronics will be wired off of the 'out' post of the dual batt switch. This way, everything works whether I'm in Batt1, Batt2, or Both. The bilge will still be wire directly to the batteries.

Don't know if this helps any?
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril
                              My 06 Ve has 2 batteries and an ON/OFF switch. One starting and one deepcycle that are wired parallel. The switch disconnects everything but the bilge pump. ...
                              Sounds like your 06 Ve is very different than my 06 24 Ve.
                              I also have a deep cycle and a cranking battery, but mine are not in parallel. My cranking battery goes directly through the ON/OFF switch to the starter (and the stereo!?). Everything else in the boat runs off the deep cycle battery which does not go through the switch or the key. I see no purpose for the switch so I have stopped using it. The key is a lot more convienient and accomplishes exactly the same thing. If anyone can explain the rationale for this switch set up, I would like to hear it. I don't understand why it would be set up so that with the key off (gone!) and/or the switch OFF, I can turn everything in the boat on except the motor and the stereo!?

I learned all about this when my boat wouldn't start in the middle of Payette Lake, ID. I got towed in by a Mastercraft. Turns out the factory didn't tighten down a connection to a power converter (or something with big heat sinks on it). The loose connection caused a lot of heat which melted the rubber and discolored the metal until the cranking battery was no longer charging. I eventually jumped from the deepcycle to the cranking battery to get it started, so rather than a 2nd starting battery, I will get a short jumper cable to have on hand.
                              Last edited by farmerjd; 08-27-2006, 08:18 PM.
                              Farmer John
                              2006 24Ve

Comment

Working...
                              X