Replacing speed set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
    When you call them, ask how cruise control is handled on your engine. See if it's "a simple panel of switches" or if it's based on CAN communications. The answer will tell us a lot.
    Well, after talking with Eddie at Marine Power, I know a little more... The speedset is not CAN based. It is analog based with a simple 12v signal to a pin on the ECM. It will simply hold the speed until cancelled or the engine is turned off. What I still don't understand is why you can't get a perfect pass and that type of system to interface. He mentioned that they had kicked the idea around of making an "upgrade kit" to MEFI 5 with a wiring harness and ECM. He figured it would cost $1500-2K. At this point I am considering doing something like this or going back to a "drive by cable" throttle to try and eliminate the electrical demons I have with the MEFI 4 and TAC Drive by Wire. Here is my other issue: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...imp-Mode/page2 Let me know if you have any thoughts. I would greatly appreciate any help!!

Comment

I've heard of that system, just didn't know that was what MP was exposing on that engine. Given that it's analog running in the long harness from the console to the ECU, I'm not surprised it has "issues"... lots of opportunity for noise pickup in a setup like that. Better if it were a differential signal, but that may have been more complexity than they wanted to deal with back then.

Funny thing is, I specifically remember a discussion I had with Perfect Pass a while back where they described how they talked to this exact type of system. I can't remember, but have you called and talked directly to PP about your engine? Are you certain THEY say it's not possible?

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
        I've heard of that system, just didn't know that was what MP was exposing on that engine. Given that it's analog running in the long harness from the console to the ECU, I'm not surprised it has "issues"... lots of opportunity for noise pickup in a setup like that. Better if it were a differential signal, but that may have been more complexity than they wanted to deal with back then.

Funny thing is, I specifically remember a discussion I had with Perfect Pass a while back where they described how they talked to this exact type of system. I can't remember, but have you called and talked directly to PP about your engine? Are you certain THEY say it's not possible?

I have been on the phone with Perfect Pass and Zero Off and neither company has anything that will work....so they say. I would assume that someone has tried it or those companies tested this year of MP ECM and came to this conclusion. When I was talking with Marine Power, he was surprised that I wanted Perfect Pass over the Speed Set. According to them the "Speed Set is superior"....hmmm, not sure how they figure.

Comment

Working...
        X