Replacing speed set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing speed set

I've been scouring the interwebs for info on this and I'm afraid I have the "black sheep" year for tige. I have an 06 24Ve and would love to hear a solution for adding perfect pass. The speed set is terrible for surfing and I think it may be causing other issues as well. Would it be possible to upgrade to a GPS speedometer, then add perfect pass? There isn't anything out there that plays directly with my ECM. I've read a lot of threads and haven't seen anyone working past this. 06 was a crappy year for a few things, but I'm committed now. Thanks in advance!

This has been visited many times and as of yet I have never heard of a solution other than the Tige speed set. Just replaced a pad for a customer and talked directly with the guys at Tige to verify what I have read on here. They say there isn't another option, same as everyone on here and other sites. Issue isn't with the Speedometer or the paddlewheel, its talking to the Marine power ECM. None of the systems interface with it so they don't work is the way it was explained to me.

Comment

The only thing I have thought of was to try talking to these guys that work on these things. I have met both of the guys that operate this small business. They can get into the files in the ECM. it was pretty cool to me. Maybe they can figure some way around it?
      http://www.aldlcable.com/contact.asp
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I'd be interested if there is a solution to this...
        Last edited by little_criket; 06-23-2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Can anyone elaborate on this? What is the problem with "talking to the Marine Power ECM"? Proprietary protocols that MP is unwilling to share? Their side of the firmware is fundamentally broken so nothing external will work anyway?

Also, please describe what is meant by "the SpeedSet is terrible for surfing".

I'm asking because depending upon what is wrong I may be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
            The only thing I have thought of was to try talking to these guys that work on these things. I have met both of the guys that operate this small business. They can get into the files in the ECM. it was pretty cool to me. Maybe they can figure some way around it?
            http://www.aldlcable.com/contact.asp
            Thanks guys! I will check into this option and I will post what I find.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
              Can anyone elaborate on this? What is the problem with "talking to the Marine Power ECM"? Proprietary protocols that MP is unwilling to share? Their side of the firmware is fundamentally broken so nothing external will work anyway?

Also, please describe what is meant by "the SpeedSet is terrible for surfing".

I'm asking because depending upon what is wrong I may be able to help.
              I would love to know the answers to your questions as well! I am not a fan of the Speed Set for surfing because it runs off of a paddle wheel and not GPS. It will always accelerate past the speed you have it set by at least 3-4 miles per hour, then fall back into the set speed. You can feather the throttle to help reduce this surge, but it still isn't great. It also re-sets every time you shut the engine off and you only have 1 mile per hour increments of adjustment after it it set. I have been having issues with my ECM throwing a code 81 that points at the TAC module and it only seems to happen when using the SpeedSet.
              I would appreciate any help!!

Thanks!

Comment

As I said, if anyone can shed light on this problem of "talking to the Marine Power ECM" it would help. Does that MP engine use a CAN network? Does it follow standard J1939 or NMEA protocols, or use something entirely proprietary? If the latter, has that data been subsequently published? It's hard for me to help when I don't know the problem....

EDIT: I wonder if this is a case of "closed contact" cruise control. There are a few marine engines out there where the ECU provides cruise control by exposing some open contacts for "set", "faster", "slower", etc. You simply hook up a set of switches and the ECU handles cruise like a car does... no options for memory, etc. Such a setup would not be "compatible" with CAN-based systems but is not exactly difficult to support. If you want cruise control, add the switches and you should be good to go.
                Last edited by IDBoating; 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

As I said, if anyone can shed light on this problem of "talking to the Marine Power ECM" it would help. Does that MP engine use a CAN network? Does it follow standard J1939 or NMEA protocols, or use something entirely proprietary? If the latter, has that data been subsequently published? It's hard for me to help when I don't know the problem....
                  Thanks WA, This is a bit over my head...I have a call into MP to get some info on this and my other ECM issues. I will try and report my findings.

Comment

When you call them, ask how cruise control is handled on your engine. See if it's "a simple panel of switches" or if it's based on CAN communications. The answer will tell us a lot.

Comment

I don't know if these guys can help converting your paddlwheel wheel input to a GPS signal instead?
                      http://www.nauticlaugic.com/Products.html
                      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Their product simulates the pulse train coming off a standard paddlewheel, basing the rate off the GPS module. Otherwise it doesn't do anything new or better. You'll get more accurate absolute over-the-ground speed, but if you're dissatisfied with how your cruise control works this won't fix it.

Comment

Their product simulates the pulse train coming off a standard paddlewheel, basing the rate off the GPS module. Otherwise it doesn't do anything new or better. You'll get more accurate absolute over-the-ground speed, but if you're dissatisfied with how your cruise control works this won't fix it.
                          I installed the Nautic Laugic GPS converter on our 2009 RZ2 this last off season. With GPS, I notice that Speed Set is smoother for surfing, eliminating some of the surges I would get with the paddle wheel system.

My install of the system works perfectly so far. One other user here on TO (EricU) has had some issues with the unit not being correctly calibrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                            With GPS, I notice that Speed Set is smoother for surfing, eliminating some of the surges I would get with the paddle wheel system.
                            Exactly. If you're having trouble with the paddlewheel, basing your speed on GPS instead can help. But ultimately it's just a speed signal used by the cruise control. If the cruise control itself has issues (buttons don't work, resolution only 1MPH, won't lock, loses settings after power down, etc.) changing how you measure speed won't fix those.

Comment

Exactly. If you're having trouble with the paddlewheel, basing your speed on GPS instead can help. But ultimately it's just a speed signal used by the cruise control. If the cruise control itself has issues (buttons don't work, resolution only 1MPH, won't lock, loses settings after power down, etc.) changing how you measure speed won't fix those.
                              Agreed. Just last weekend, SpeedSet missed locking in once and reset itself once. It is better than the early problems we had with SpeedSet but it is far from fixed and reliable.

Comment

Working...
                              X