No announcement yet.

Limp Mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUCCESS!!!! Went out on the lake for 3 hours this evening without any problems, alarms, or limp modes!! Here is the answers I have for this particular problem. The PPS Sensor was bad, so I replaced it(ordered from Forte's). I was still getting the code 81 that was pointing to the PPS sensor and/or Throttle actuator control (TAC). I had to adjust the position of the sensor on the slide it is mounted on. This solved the code issue. I had a shop clear the code and went out for a nice evening boat session.

I could not have done this (and would have probably spent a lot of money paying someone to go through all the steps) without the help of Dom Forte. THANK YOU Dom!! Thanks also to chpthril for your time on this as well. I hope this solves the problem for good! If anyone has an 06 Tige and needs help with this issue, PM me and I can help.

Comment

Glad it all worked out.

Comment

I think my 06 22VE is doing the same thing?

Originally posted by efrickle View Post
        SUCCESS!!!! Went out on the lake for 3 hours this evening without any problems, alarms, or limp modes!! Here is the answers I have for this particular problem. The PPS Sensor was bad, so I replaced it(ordered from Forte's). I was still getting the code 81 that was pointing to the PPS sensor and/or Throttle actuator control (TAC). I had to adjust the position of the sensor on the slide it is mounted on. This solved the code issue. I had a shop clear the code and went out for a nice evening boat session.

I could not have done this (and would have probably spent a lot of money paying someone to go through all the steps) without the help of Dom Forte. THANK YOU Dom!! Thanks also to chpthril for your time on this as well. I hope this solves the problem for good! If anyone has an 06 Tige and needs help with this issue, PM me and I can help.
        My 2006 22VE is going into limp mode when I place the boat in idle following a run. I then turn the boat off and re-start the boat and all is fine, until we come to idle again. I only have one battery.

Any ideas? Do you think it is the PPS behind the Throttle?

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert W Mitchell View Post
          My 2006 22VE is going into limp mode when I place the boat in idle following a run. I then turn the boat off and re-start the boat and all is fine, until we come to idle again. I only have one battery.

Any ideas? Do you think it is the PPS behind the Throttle?

Robert
          Hey Robert, this sounds similar to how my issue started. Have you checked your battery? Is the alternator charging? I'm not sure how a single battery system works, but that would be an easy start. You could have someone read the engine code as well. Otherwise, your sensor may just need to be calibrated (adjusted on the slide that it sits on). This involves removing the panel over the throttle, then removing the throttle mechanism. Let me know what you find with battery voltage or engine code!

Comment

Does anyone have more information on where to order this PPS sensor. My 2007 22VE started to do this weekend. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by throttlebody View Post
              Does anyone have more information on where to order this PPS sensor. My 2007 22VE started to do this weekend. Thanks for the help!
              Fortes in FL....they know Tige! Yours may just need to be calibrated. Most boat mechanics can do this pretty easily. I would recommend professional help on that one. Slightly advanced for the DIY-er.

Comment

My 2008 24ve has been doing the same thing for a year, used to just shut boat off and restart and it would fix it for awhile. Now it is getting worse. Last summer thought I was gonna be stranded because it wouldn't start working again. Also crashed into my trailer while loading, as I was coming in the throttle quit and couldn't reverse or steer. I need to find that part lol

Comment

Well...I have been experiencing the delight of the limp mode again. It has started going into limp mode while we are loaded up with ballast and surfing. It hasn't done it at all when the ballast is empty. We have the "tige speed set" speed controller and it almost seems like that may be the culprit. My other thought was possible transmission overheating. I checked all the fluids and the tranny fluid looked new and didn't smell burnt. Anyone have any ideas on what may cause a limp mode during surfing? It's usually around 3000 rpms and a re-start of the engine temporarily solves the problem. I am going to get he code read tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone else has had this issue as well.

Comment

How many hours roughly, do you think you put on the boat since the PPS was replaced? Have you had the ECM scanned for a current code? If it occurs with some frequency while surfing, surf without the Speed-Set engaged just to see.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      How many hours roughly, do you think you put on the boat since the PPS was replaced? Have you had the ECM scanned for a current code? If it occurs with some frequency while surfing, surf without the Speed-Set engaged just to see.
                      I have put almost exactly 35 hours on the engine, since the PPS was replaced. I had the ECM scanned yesterday and it came back with a code 81 and the details said something like "TAC" communication missing or lost. It has only gone into limp mode once, but the throttle has been fluctuating while using the speed set and when the speed set is off. I looked up TAC codes for MEFI 4 and this year of marine power and it has a lot of code 81 sub-categories. Is there a way to test the TAC module to see if that is the culprit? I am about ready to rip out the drive by wire crap and put a cable throttle system in!!

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                      X