No announcement yet.

Low Voltage Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out at 6:30am on lake this morning to troubleshoot with buddy. When back to very beginning to start over to see if anything was missed.

Started up: RPMs jump to 1500, Voltmeter jumped to about 13.2V. THe RPMs decay over a short period. What I did not catch before is the RPMs decayed to a low of 550RPM (I was assuming all was fine here). Correlated the start of the voltage decay with the RPM threshold of 650. Bumping the throttle above 650 would also bump the voltage up over 13. I think the fix is setting the RPMs back within the correct range. My first post stated bumping the RPMs to >1000 would not get the voltage over 13 - not sure what happened here, it does now.

Comment

550 RPM's sounds about right to me. It it ECM controlled, so it it was out of limits, the ECM would adjust. Are we sure we are chasing a low voltage alarm? As I stated in an earlier post, What the gauge says would be a secondary concern.

In 06, the EIDB equipped MP's did have a voltage issue, but most of the time it was curred by making sure all cables, especially the grounds were tight. Mine did it and FIC let me in on this and we got it fixed.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        ...Are we sure we are chasing a low voltage alarm? ...
        Nope, not sure.

Chasing and hoping. I am going to take the boat back out tonight at 8:00pm to check again, will go thru and ensure cables are tight.

Have a appt. with service dept this week, just trying to figure out as much as I can prior. Appreciate the feedback chpthril.

edit: I can say this: the alarm never went off this morning, we kept the RPMs above 650 and the voltage seemed to remain where you would expect.
        Last edited by MRMoffat1; 06-01-2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          In 06, the EIDB equipped MP's did have a voltage issue, but most of the time it was curred by making sure all cables, especially the grounds were tight. Mine did it and FIC let me in on this and we got it fixed.
          Was able to tighen some: Starter Red, Ground Wire Black, Alternator Red and Starter Battery side of Isolator.

Unable to tighen Input to Isolator or the Deep Cycle side of the Isolator.

Taking the boat out in an hour or so to see.....

Comment

Fixed - I think that was it. Tightened any cables to the engine block as tight as I could.

Idled for 10 min. Engine settled to 600RPM by iteself, Voltage above 12V on the meter

Put it in drive at lowest throttle setting for 10 min - same.

No warning beeps, no engine shutdown.

Appreciate chpthril hanging in there with me -
            Last edited by MRMoffat1; 06-01-2009, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MRMoffat1 View Post

Fixed - I think that was it. Tightened any cables to the engine block as tight as I could.

Idled for 10 min. Engine settled to 600RPM by iteself, Voltage above 12V on the meter

Put it in drive at lowest throttle setting for 10 min - same.

No warning beeps, no engine shutdown.

Appreciate chpthril hanging in there with me -
              Well, I hope it's fixed, keep us up to date after you've been out a few times.

Thanks for posting this thread up, there is a lot of great info here for anyone with a charging/battery type issue.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Confirm. I'm calling the problem fixed for sure now. Two outings without the repeat issue. Chpthril - look for a PM in the next day or so.

People from the Northwest (and I assume farther north) understand. Very short boating season up here. Time is of the essense.

On another note: look for a post on "general discussion forum" in the next day or two as well. Excellent customer service from SportBoatNorthwest Tige Dealer on Lake Union, WA to solve yet a second issue, to get the boat out on the water in a timely fashion. Anthony, Service Dept Manager, and specifically Kurt, service tech (the guy is incredible) - incredible customer service exceeding expectations. There was a "series" of issues overall, and it took this forum and SportBoatNorthest Tige Dealers to come thru - appreciate. Customer satisfaction is alive....

Funny footnote - Kurt told me: Kurt's wife was keeping him posted on progress on this post and he was ready to tackle this problem as well if the boat arrived in the shop prior to the fix!!!!

Kurt's wife:
                Last edited by MRMoffat1; 06-06-2009, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert;344608.....
                  Just a thought. You may want to just check all the connections to make sure there's not a marginal ground connection in there somewhere...

Nope, sounds a lot like a grounding problem. Remember, electricity needs both to flow...not enough capacity on either positive or negative leads to flow issues, especially under load.

... and dogbert, went back in time.....

Just giving the accolades to all who called it....
                  Last edited by MRMoffat1; 06-06-2009, 05:33 AM.

Comment

We're all glad to help. Go have some fun!
                    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                    X