Dual Voice Coil Sub experts . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRMoffat1
    The "right" way in your diagram is a go. That will give a 4 ohm load on those channels bridged. Go for it. One note though, you want to wire amp pos to coil pos then coil neg to other coil pos then second coil neg to amp neg. Your diagram shows pos from the amp to neg on the first coil, but your print is wrong/colors are right. I think you just have a mistype.
    Last edited by spharis; 05-11-2007, 12:59 PM.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
      MRMoffat1
      The "right" way in your diagram is a go. That will give a 4 ohm load on those channels bridged. Go for it. One note though, you want to wire amp pos to coil pos then coil neg to other coil pos then second coil neg to amp neg. Your diagram shows pos from the amp to neg on the first coil, but your print is wrong/colors are right. I think you just have a mistype.

Good catch SP!!!!

I agree, "right" is the best way to go, between the two options you present, and the KICKER maunal states that this is a good way. It presents a proper load, and will work pretty well.

Here is where my personal opinion cones in: With two coils available, I typically prefer to NOT bridge a stereo amp. I would wire one coil to EACH channel if it were my system.

That being said, I cannot say that you would even hear a difference, but in MY OPINION there are advantages... You have twice the copper wire going to the sub, as you have two speaker wires going that way. Damping factor is improved, and ther are some other subtle benefits that improve reliability of the system long-term.

Again, at this point it is just my opinion that wiring a coil per channel is truly better. The "right" option you presented is certainly the way to go, based on the two options presented.

Nice schematic by the way!!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!!!!!

EDIT
      OKAY, I am going to eat a LITTLE crow, (not a lot)

I have spent some time on the phone with one of our "guru's" at KICKER. With most if today's product, including those from KICKER, there is as I said above, no discernable difference to the ear if you were to run one coil per channel.

DAMPING WILL NOT BE DIFFERENT. NOT WITH THE AMPS BEING BUILT TODAY. I WAS INCORRECT IN MY OPINION TO THIS POINT

You will get a little bit of a benefit from the increased copper with the multiple wire runs, but if and when you build an enclosure, you would by necessity need to have two terminal sets....

At this point, I am going to still suggest that I would probably pull two sets of wires to the sub if it were going into one of my boats, but according to the "authority" here, my way is not much better than what you put up as "right" in your schematic.

"right" in your schematic is easier, certainly at this point, so I say:
      GO FOR IT!!!!
      Last edited by philwsailz; 05-11-2007, 01:42 PM.
      It's not an optical illusion.
      It just looks like one.....

Comment

Just make sure you run enough single strand copper for the bridged output on those channels (phil wouldn't this aid in the damping?). Last dual I had was using 8AWG over about 6 feet. It had 1500W going to it. I'm getting too old, and too poor (kids) to buy that kind of stereo now Keep in mind on dual subs, one of the reasons they came around was to aid in the combinations of wiring. You can get most subs in a single or dual configuration. It is one more way to help match the subs to amps you may already have.
        Last edited by spharis; 05-11-2007, 01:58 PM.
        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
          Just make sure you run enough single strand copper for the bridged output on those channels (phil wouldn't this aid in the damping?). Last dual I had was using 8AWG over about 6 feet. It had 1500W going to it. I'm getting too old, and too poor (kids) to buy that kind of stereo now Keep in mind on dual subs, one of the reasons they came around was to aid in the combinations of wiring. You can get most subs in a single or dual configuration. It is one more way to help match the subs to amps you may already have.
          Totally agreed!!!!! Yes, it will aid in damping a little; DCR will be slightly lower....

(wow, a two-word post)

uh, not now I guess...

EDIT:
          wait... just for clarification, not literally single-strand... copper rod is kinda hard to bend

Comment

Oh, for the popcorn and milk duds crowd, this is what a Shure Beta52A looks like:
            Attached Files

Comment

And the other microphones.
              Shure Brothers SM57 Instrument Mic
              Shure Brothers SM58 Vocal mic, used as kick drum in a pinch
              Electrovoice RE20 Studio announce mic, makes a pretty good kick drum mic also
              Attached Files

Comment

We are full on into Stereo, voice coil, microphone nerdery Folks!

J/K
                "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Good!

I am getting ready to depart the office for the rest of the day and go to my recording studio. Nothing too much fun; a dance recital program master. No rock and roll, no bass guitars,

BUT......

Then I am hooking onto the boat and heading to the lake for the weekend!!!!!!

JeffT, I hope you have the rest of the hookup figgered out!!!!!!

Everybody have a SAFE and FUN weekend!

Catch ya' Monday!

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                    Then I am hooking onto the boat and heading to the lake for the weekend!!!!!!
                    I'm jealous.... Have another 7 hours of work....

Comment

RE20 is a fav of mine. Great for voice overs.
                      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post

Good catch SP!!!!

I agree, "right" is the best way to go, between the two options you present, and the KICKER maunal states that this is a good way. It presents a proper load, and will work pretty well.

Here is where my personal opinion cones in: With two coils available, I typically prefer to NOT bridge a stereo amp. I would wire one coil to EACH channel if it were my system.

That being said, I cannot say that you would even hear a difference, but in MY OPINION there are advantages... You have twice the copper wire going to the sub, as you have two speaker wires going that way. Damping factor is improved, and ther are some other subtle benefits that improve reliability of the system long-term.

Again, at this point it is just my opinion that wiring a coil per channel is truly better. The "right" option you presented is certainly the way to go, based on the two options presented.

Nice schematic by the way!!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!!!!!

EDIT
                        OKAY, I am going to eat a LITTLE crow, (not a lot)

I have spent some time on the phone with one of our "guru's" at KICKER. With most if today's product, including those from KICKER, there is as I said above, no discernable difference to the ear if you were to run one coil per channel.

DAMPING WILL NOT BE DIFFERENT. NOT WITH THE AMPS BEING BUILT TODAY. I WAS INCORRECT IN MY OPINION TO THIS POINT

You will get a little bit of a benefit from the increased copper with the multiple wire runs, but if and when you build an enclosure, you would by necessity need to have two terminal sets....

At this point, I am going to still suggest that I would probably pull two sets of wires to the sub if it were going into one of my boats, but according to the "authority" here, my way is not much better than what you put up as "right" in your schematic.

"right" in your schematic is easier, certainly at this point, so I say:
                        GO FOR IT!!!!
                        Got it rewired yesterday and out on the lake. Sounds great. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X