No announcement yet.

Coaxial Speakers for Wakesurfing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone tell me, I’m positive Chp knows, can I just replace 2, or even all 4 of my Rev 8s for 10s, without messing with amps, and all that? What about changing my wetsounds 10” sub for a 12”? I know it “can”, be done, but curious how effective it will be, as it isn’t a cheap deal to try out, with my current amp setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
      Can anyone tell me, I’m positive Chp knows, can I just replace 2, or even all 4 of my Rev 8s for 10s, without messing with amps, and all that? What about changing my wetsounds 10” sub for a 12”? I know it “can”, be done, but curious how effective it will be, as it isn’t a cheap deal to try out, with my current amp setup.

Yes on both. You can just swap 8" for 10" tower speakers and go from the 4 ohm 10" FA woofer to the 4 ohm 12" woofer and do nothing at the amps, and still gain some benefits of the larger speakers.

Going from a 10" woofer to a 12" woofer is about 45% more speaker surface area. Thats a lot more moving air, not to mention deeper bass extension. Thats a noticeable difference EVEN without an increase in wattage.

Similar increase between an 8" and 10" tower speaker.

Now, there is always a benefit to more wattage, when upgrading the size/power handling of a driver.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        Yes on both. You can just swap 8" for 10" tower speakers and go from the 4 ohm 10" FA woofer to the 4 ohm 12" woofer and do nothing at the amps, and still gain some benefits of the larger speakers.

Going from a 10" woofer to a 12" woofer is about 45% more speaker surface area. Thats a lot more moving air, not to mention deeper bass extension. Thats a noticeable difference EVEN without an increase in wattage.

Similar increase between an 8" and 10" tower speaker.

Now, there is always a benefit to more wattage, when upgrading the size/power handling of a driver.
        Perfect! Thank you!! I knew you’d know the answer. My boat is insanely loud, it just lacks bass. I’d obviously prefer to go the route of least cost, while still seeing an increase in performance.

I’m perfectly capable of installing speakers, but have no idea about amp tuning, and all that. There is nobody in my town that I’d trust to do it right. I’ll likely just swap that sub, and throw 2 rev 10s on to start. If I’m not happy with that setup, I’ll see what else can be done.

Comment

Perfect! Thank you!! I knew you’d know the answer. My boat is insanely loud, it just lacks bass. I’d obviously prefer to go the route of least cost, while still seeing an increase in performance.

I’m perfectly capable of installing speakers, but have no idea about amp tuning, and all that. There is nobody in my town that I’d trust to do it right. I’ll likely just swap that sub, and throw 2 rev 10s on to start. If I’m not happy with that setup, I’ll see what else can be done.

What year is your boat and does it still have the factory amps? If theyve never been tuned outside of the factory, Id suggest do this.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            What year is your boat and does it still have the factory amps? If theyve never been tuned outside of the factory, Id suggest do this.
            2016 RZX. Everything is factory wetsounds. 4 rev 8s on the tower. 10” sub under the driver.

I’m sure it’s never been tuned.

Who do you have tune it? A boat shop, or stereo shop?

Comment

Tune your amps before you do anything. I thought there was absolutely no base, had it professionally tuned and a 420 controller added and my setup is so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                Tune your amps before you do anything. I thought there was absolutely no base, had it professionally tuned and a 420 controller added and my setup is so much better.
                Did you have a boat shop, or a stereo shop tune it? I don’t know if we have a wetsounds dealer in town.

Comment

Did you have a boat shop, or a stereo shop tune it? I don’t know if we have a wetsounds dealer in town.

I had a friend of a friend come do it who works in the stereo business and is very knowledgable at what he does. Look for somewhere that does custom audio work, they will be able to do it.

Comment

I don’t know if we have a wetsounds dealer in town.
                    Id start here. You can find your closest Wet Sounds dealer/installer by going to the Wet Sounds web page. Since you are looking to upgrade the tower and woofer, you might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                      Do you dial back the treble on your Rev10’s using the 420? Does that make the rev10s sound have a better balance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                        Do you dial back the treble on your Rev10’s using the 420? Does that make the rev10s sound have a better balance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I don't really adjust those settings that often. The feature that I do like is being able to independently control the towers, in boats and sub. So when a rider falls I can turn down the towers but keep the rest playing or if it's just the driver in the boat with a surfer you can crank the towers. Also to get more bass being able to turn up the sub louder than the other speakers really helps.

Comment

For surfing, I do like to roll a couple ticks off the top of the Rev-10, then add in a tick or two on the low end of the WS-420. Warms them up nicely. But it does not take much, and i caution against large amounts of EQ input.

Comment

Working...
                          X