No announcement yet.

4 REV 10's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chp read my last post on this thread. It was a EQ wiring error.

Comment

So that cured the tower amp going into protect mode, thats what the WW'r is experiencing and ask if I knew the outcome.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

It still does it when i push them very hard. I dont hear any distortion, but the Wet Sound guys say that the SD2 will pick up distortion before the human ear can, and it will put it into protection if there is distortion. After more tuning and turning the gain down most of this is fixed.

Comment

What is your gain level on that sd2?
          I'm the guy from ww that mike is talking about.

Comment

I will have to look this weekend if i get the boat out. She is in the garage with the cover on, but off the top of my head i would guess about half way up on the gain. Is yours only cutting out at high volume?
            If so try this..... Try tuning it at about 120HZ, and turnning the gain to about 1/4, and fine tune it from there. It seems to me the mid bass is what makes the amp cut out at high volume.
            So if your set at 60-70HZ, and 3/4 gain your goning to have problems with the amp going into protection mode!
            Chp would have better info on tuning tho, he helped me a lot!

Comment

Trying to find the WW thread. Help?

Comment

What she said this is great info, I will be running this same set up on my new boat and this give a starting point to prevent potential issues. Chp as always thanks for your help man.

Comment

I seem to remember (from my EE class days... about 30 yrs ago) that the electrons on wires mostly travel on the outside. So the change in size as it relates to the signle or power is a function of Pi*D. The rest of the wire/copper helps for heat dissipation which isn't an issue for pushing sound through it.

Or maybe that was a bad dream I had during power or signals class...

Comment

Hi-Pass @ 80Hz is about right for a large HLCD, maybe a little higher if your primary focus is near max volume and reaching wake range. With just a head-unit, I would not expect the gain to be above 50%. With an EQ/line driver, 25% to 50% is about where i would expect it to land. The higher cross over points eases the load on the amp. There are a hand-full of things that can put any amp into protect mode, but simply playing it loud, should not. The SD amps have substantial power supplies as compared to lesser wattage amps, so playing all chnls at a 2 ohm load should not be an issue. So outside of something amiss internally of the amp, going into protect mode could very well be the amp's designed reaction to its external load.

A speaker that its impedance dipping way low under high demand. or a pinched speaker wire thats just shorting to the tower with a strand or 2. Removing one at a time and playing the system might point to a suspect chnl/pair.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I think I may have found my issue. I hope.
                      I also have my 420 b+ wire, connected to the switched red source for the head unit.
                      Could this be causing the 420 to not draw enough current and send a weak signal to the amp?
                      I'll switch it today when I get home to the b+ yellow constant wire for the hu and see where that takes me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Either way, that does need addressing. But, the 420 does not draw very much current, so I would expect that red switched circuit to handle the draw of the 420. What is does do, is put the 420 possibly drawing from a different battery reference from the rest of the audio system. This is an invitation for noise.

Comment

Working...
                        X